Rate Thread
Pics of my hybrid system
#212581 06/22/08 09:16 PM
A
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
Ok, I have some pics of my Aperion/Axiom/AV123 system. I don't have them on a host site, but I was able to post them on another forum, so I'm going to provide that link, hopefully that's ok...

I have Aperion 6T and 5C for main and center in cherry, MWF-15 in cherry, and QS8's and M2's in black for surrounds.

Haven't watched too much yet as I've been busy picking up packing materials and cleaning the room. But I sat down to watch the opening of Master and Commander before everything was calibrated, and my wife was sitting next to me. After the opening battle, she just looked at me with a funny little smile and said "Don't you think it's a bit much?".

Nope, not at all...now about that second sub...

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45186

Re: Pics of my hybrid system
armaraas #212600 06/22/08 11:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

How's that MFW-15 treating you?

I've yet to hear it, but numerous owners have given it two thumbs up. If only I had room for one...

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

armaraas #212603 06/23/08 01:52 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Aperions, Rockets. Man! This used to be such a nice neighbourhood. ;\)

That setup looks good! Did you do any before and after testing with the sound pannels? I am curious to know how much of a difference they make.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #212608 06/23/08 02:42 AM
A
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
Oh come on now, half of the speakers are Axiom, more than any other brand in the room, doesn't that count for something???

For the MWF, so far so good. I get a weird ground loop from the svideo connection on the receiver to the tv for the OSD menu setup, so I just leave it disconnected until I need to use it. I've listened to mostly music so far, and I've been really happy with how well it has blended in with the other speakers. I also just got done watching my first full movie with it, Serenity (standard dvd). I never realized how much low bass was in that movie. I had to turn the gain down to about 9-10 o'clock from 12, and it still rumbles the couch easily. The room isn't overly big, probably about 13'x15', maybe a bit bigger. My previous sub was an older, cheaper Yamaha dual 8", so it's not really even a comparison. I'm happy with it, but not able to draw comparisons to anything similar (Axiom, SVS, HSU, etc).

I realized a couple of weeks ago it would fit in my space while I was looking at smaller subs. I also knew the price was going up soon, so on a whim I placed an order to reserve the price more than anything, not expecting it to ship for like a week or so at least. Instead it shipped like a day and a half later. I didn't tell my wife about that one beforehand, so that one was a surprise...

As for the room treatments, I had those a few weeks before the new speakers. They made a difference, but not as much as others have noticed in their rooms. I think part of it might be the couch, it pretty much lines the opposite wall of the speakers up to 40" or so. My old towers were about 35" high. The 6T's and M80's are taller, so if I had hung the panels after I had those speakers it might have made a little more of a difference. I also have heavy chenille curtains on the window that covers over half of a side wall, and the wall behind the tv is lined with chenille curtains as well (that wall is also lined with spare doors behind the curtain. I've been replacing hollow doors with solid 6 panels, so I figured I'd might as well as store them out of site, not sure if they really do anything).

I'll probably start looking to add bass traps later this fall.

armaraas #212617 06/23/08 04:20 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
half of the speakers are Axiom, more than any other brand in the room, doesn't that count for something???

Yep. It gives you bonus points for giving us something so easy to pick on since you decided to hang around! ;\)

I need to put curtains up across my balcony door. After that the next thing I intend to do is to put a bass trap along the wall/ceiling corner behind the couch. I suspect once I tame the boom a little, the bass for movies will be more satisfying.

Fred

-------
fredk #212618 06/23/08 04:21 AM
axiomite
axiomite
OK, I guess those Aperions look kinda nice.

Fred

-------
fredk #212743 06/24/08 02:59 AM
A
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
See, I think we can all probably get along just fine...

armaraas #212769 06/24/08 11:26 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Nice looking system! The QS4s and QS8s are hard to beat as surrounds. Nothing wrong with a hybrid system - just enjoy the music.

davidsch #213257 06/27/08 03:34 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Nice system. Kinda weird that you used the QS8s as the rears instead of the sides...is that because of how close the couch is to the back wall?

um...nevermind. I didn't see the discussion on that forum before I made my post.

Last edited by vassillios; 06/27/08 03:38 PM.

Made on a Mac
vassillios #213494 06/28/08 04:49 PM
A
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
Thanks.
Yah, for anyone else curious about the placement of the QS8's, I did do it because the couch is only about a foot and half off of the wall. I had my old dipoles in the same position for a while and they sounded better there than in the corners of the room. So I took a chance that the QS8's with their flexibility would work there too. I've been really happy with them. They work great and I don't have to worry about them firing directly into peoples ears only 2 or 3 feet away. In a year or two I might be moving to a new location with a longer room, then they'll move to the sides.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,217 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup