Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Goodbye California. . .
pmbuko #239074 01/09/09 12:17 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Best wishes, Sean. Take solace in the fact that you are valued by your employer. You can't improve without change.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Wid #239078 01/09/09 01:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good Luck Sean! As a former resident of RC, I can sympathize. My move was somewhat different in that I bit on a dangling carrot from the company. Overall it's been a good move. However there are certain things we miss. Mostly, particular restaurants and the relatives that are still there. My parents followed us to Slidell, but the rest of the family is still there. If I can offer any advice it would be to take in as much of what you call "comfort things" and find a source to have those things delivered as often as practical. For instance, we REALLY miss El Merendero Restaurant Mexican food (La Verne), so we have a dozen or so burritos made, frozen, and FedEx'd from time to time. We miss opening the front door and seeing Baldy, Ontario and Cucamonga peaks, so we have pics sent from time to time - a rare, clear winter day in particular. There's no way to ship sushi and have it arrive fresh, but we can pretend we're at Tommy's (Tustin); OK there really isn't anything here that comes close. For the things that aren't moveable, you gotta go back.

Good luck with the move, hope it all works for the best.

Scott

Scott

My HT
jakewash #239103 01/09/09 03:57 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: jakewash

Sorry to hear it Sean, on the bright side you still have a job and you lose the threat of earthquakes.

Speaking of which, we just had a fairly sizable one just roll through!!! I'm getting out just in time!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #239104 01/09/09 03:58 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Just watch out for falling bullits in Phoenix. On the 4th people like to shoot guns straight up into the air.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

St_PatGuy #239106 01/09/09 04:00 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks for the support and kind words everyone, I really appreciate it. Bear with me for a sec, I need to go back through the thread and respond to everyone. . .

grunt #239107 01/09/09 04:07 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Dean, my new office will be in Phoenix. Right now, I'm looking at cities west of there as I don't want to commute through the heart of the city every morning. I've had enough of traffic and commuting in Southern California.

Definitely, once I get settled in we'll have to meet up!

medic8r #239108 01/09/09 04:09 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
Sean, I always thought your South Park avatar looked like David Spade. Did you make it on a generator to approximate yourself, or were you going for the David Spade look?

Nope, I just built it from scratch. I tried to make him look like me. My hair used to be longer. Maybe I secretly channeled David Spade?

Oh, and you're right, Rancho Cucamonga IS fun to say!

HomeDad #239111 01/09/09 04:15 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad
Wow Sean, It will be tough at first but Arizona Imo is a very nice state as long as you don't mind temps in excess of 120 \:\)
As Dean mentioned many California folks are migrating there for many different reasons, some of our best freinds just moved there and love it. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the summertime, but I think I'll adjust. It's pretty dry and hot in California, it'll just be drier and hotter out there.

pmbuko #239112 01/09/09 04:18 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
It must be a mixed blessing, Sean. You are valued enough that they want to keep you on, but you're losing your peeps and your home. A tough pickle all the way around.

On the plus side, my "little" (he's almost 19 and id 6'5") brother is a freshman at Arizona State, so the likelihood of me being in your area in the next four years is high.

It is a little bittersweet, I feel good my company wants to keep me and give me an opportunity to further my career with them, but it's hard saying goodbye to everyone else.

Shoot me a PM when you plan on being in the area. Promise I won't take up too much family time. Well, it'd just be easier if you adopted me.

a401classic #239115 01/09/09 04:23 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: a401classic
Good Luck Sean! As a former resident of RC, I can sympathize. My move was somewhat different in that I bit on a dangling carrot from the company. Overall it's been a good move. However there are certain things we miss. Mostly, particular restaurants and the relatives that are still there. My parents followed us to Slidell, but the rest of the family is still there. If I can offer any advice it would be to take in as much of what you call "comfort things" and find a source to have those things delivered as often as practical. For instance, we REALLY miss El Merendero Restaurant Mexican food (La Verne), so we have a dozen or so burritos made, frozen, and FedEx'd from time to time. We miss opening the front door and seeing Baldy, Ontario and Cucamonga peaks, so we have pics sent from time to time - a rare, clear winter day in particular. There's no way to ship sushi and have it arrive fresh, but we can pretend we're at Tommy's (Tustin); OK there really isn't anything here that comes close. For the things that aren't moveable, you gotta go back.

Good luck with the move, hope it all works for the best.

Scott

Scott, you got it right--I am going to miss looking at the mountains all the time. I've lived in this valley almost my entire life and have grown quite accustomed to seeing mountains (and smog, which often hides the mountains) every which way I turn. I did take a pic a few weeks ago of the first snow we had on those mountains. I'll have to hang onto it now.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020