Considering Axiom In-Wall/On-Wall options
#238817 01/08/09 12:40 AM
J
Jessica Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
J
I got a new 42' TV for Christmas for my bedroom and I would like to add 5.1 to the room. The room itself is about 10'x13' with the ceiling being 8' and part of it dropping to 6'. I had been considering a smaller satellite system, but I'm not sure if I would be happy with that sound quality, so now I'm looking at on-wall and in-wall options. The TV center is 5'-7' up and tilted down towards the bed and we sit about 3'-4'. Here's the questions:

Would I really lose alot going with the W2/W3/W100 versus the M2/M3/VP100? Many people say I should get bookshelves, I just don't know how much I would lose.

Second, given the size of the room, would you recommend the W2 or W3? I definitely am thinking the W22 may be overkill, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Third, would positioning the fronts around the TV present any issue as I would be sitting lower then the speakers and they don't appear to have a tilt option?

Finally, anyone buy the W2/W3/W100/QS4 system that auditioned monitor audio radius or paradigm cinemas? Based on reviews, I think these should be better, I just want to hear from others regarding what they chose.

Re: Considering Axiom In-Wall/On-Wall options
Jessica #238822 01/08/09 12:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome to the forum Jessica

The W2/W100 are in-wall versions of the M2/VP100. The performance is identical. Add a pair of QS4's and a EP350 and that would perform very nicely in your bedroom.

If you are willing to spend the extra money and upgrade to the W22/M22, that would be a good option as well.

Good luck,

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Jessica #238824 01/08/09 01:01 AM
shareholder in the making
Welcome Jessica,

I don't think you would lose anything really comparing the W's and the M series. Actually, the W's are basically the same speakers and performance as the M's, that is how Axiom designed them. That is not true for all speaker manufacturers out there.

I don't think the 22's would be overkill, they have great detail and good bass. The W2's and W3's would also do well, I think the 22's might give you a bit more detail in the highs. All of them would blow away any small satellite speaker.

How high is the tv mounted? The speakers have a nice wide soundstage, so even if they are a litte higher I'm sure it would be fine. Normally, you want the tweeters of the left/right/center to be as close to ear level when seated as possible, but this is not set in stone.

You might also consider the T-series flat wall speaker Axiom just came out with, that is if you want a flat look on the walls.

One question, do you have access to within the walls, you will need to run speaker wire to the locations where the speakers will be mounted.

Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Jessica #238843 01/08/09 02:53 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Did you post over at Audioholics as techgirl? If that was you, I believe you posted that this was for movies and Hig Def TV and that you were looking for something more laid back [than klipsch]

My first inclination would be towards the M3/W3. The M22 is not overkill, but is a very detailed speaker and very unforgiving of poor material. I will defer to others on the quality of sound on HD programing because I don't watch TV other than movies though.

The M22/W22 is not bright in the same sense as the Klipsch, which has an over-emphasized high end, but it is not, but any means, laid back.

Edit: If the techgirl post wasn't you, ignore me and carry on. \:\)

Last edited by fredk; 01/08/09 02:54 AM.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Jessica #238934 01/08/09 03:12 PM
J
Jessica Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
J
Thanks for the responses.

Dr.House - I'm so bad at shopping. Someone says you should get better and I think umm only $100 or so more. Would it still be reasonable to pair the W22 with the W100 and QS4? It goes beyond the budget to upgrade the center and surrounds.

sirquack - With the T2, is there any center to pair it with beyond the W100/W150 that would have the similar look? If not, I think it would look better just to have the two fronts and center match.

Right now our ears are about 4' and the TV is 5'-7'. If it makes sense, we could move the TV down a foot and not use the tilt option.

Finally, we have ran a wire tube from our closet (store components) to the back of the TV. We should be able to drill small holes in the studs to get from behind the TV to the left/right speakers. The center will be no issue. Reasonable?

fredk - Yes, I'm techigirl at audioholics. I wanted something a little bit laid back in comparison to Klipsch, but I wouldn't have bought Klipsch if I didn't like the more in your face response.

Anyone have any thoughts on what fredk indicated regarding the W22 and HDTV programming? For the most part our time would be split equally between HD programming (Discovery, Nat Geo, Sci Fi, and Network) and Blu Ray/DVD.

Jessica #238960 01/08/09 04:40 PM
J
J
 Originally Posted By: Jessica

Dr.House - I'm so bad at shopping. Someone says you should get better and I think umm only $100 or so more. Would it still be reasonable to pair the W22 with the W100 and QS4? It goes beyond the budget to upgrade the center and surrounds.

Yes it would be reasonable and make for a great system in anyroom.

Quote:
sirquack - With the T2, is there any center to pair it with beyond the W100/W150 that would have the similar look? If not, I think it would look better just to have the two fronts and center match.
You could just run a single T2 verticaly oriented under the TV and this might even help with the height diferential.

Quote:
Finally, we have ran a wire tube from our closet (store components) to the back of the TV. We should be able to drill small holes in the studs to get from behind the TV to the left/right speakers. The center will be no issue. Reasonable?
Yes it sounds like it should work

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on what fredk indicated regarding the W22 and HDTV programming? For the most part our time would be split equally between HD programming (Discovery, Nat Geo, Sci Fi, and Network) and Blu Ray/DVD.
From my experience HD programming is about as good, audio wise, as DVD's so the M22/W22 would be very good.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Jessica #239007 01/08/09 06:23 PM
devotee
devotee
I've got the w22s. They sound find watching what ever is on. They are detailed speakers, but i do not find it to be a problem while watching any kind of TV. Also mine are higher than my seating area and they still sound fine.

PeachTree 65se, PeachTree D5 and SVS SB1000 - Stereo
M80s, M22s, SVS PB3000

Listener #239030 01/08/09 08:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jessica - I have not heard the W-3s, but I do have the M3s (supposedly sonically identical) and have always been impressed with how much bass they're capable of producing on their own. While they are not quite as capable as the W22s, the M3s are very nice speakers and if your budget dictates that you stay in that range, I do not believe you'd be at all disappointed with them.

Of course, if you want to stretch a bit and get the W22s, you'd be happy as well, so it comes down to a $ tradeoff question for you.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020