Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
 Originally Posted By: Dduval
I'M AN IDIOT!!!

I am so embarrassed, there was NOTHING wrong with my EP350 sub! It was me the whole time. What I was experiencing was "cancellation" with the low frequencies.

Dana

Thanks for swallowing a little pride and letting us know, Dana. Your adventure can only help other noobs (like me). Sounds like a very easy mistake to make and an easy solution, no need for embarrasment,

Yea, it was funny when I figured it all out. I was standing there with a big smile on my face listening to my EP350 blasting me with bass. Then I thought...D*mn! I have to call JC @axiom right away...then I thought...Holy ****! I have to go on the forums and tell everyone I'm an idiot!

LOL...oh well...it's all good now * I'm lovin the 350. \:\)

Dana

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740
Re: EP350 or EP400?
SRoode #244107 02/01/09 03:07 PM
B
aficionado
aficionado
B
Well, I don't know about any of you but I am certainly confused!

I have only 1 place to place my M80's. It sounds like to me that the bass you are now hearing is from the ports out of the back of the M80's now that they are closer to the walls. I understand sub placement having an effect because it picks up the walls and floor differently in different places. Seems to me a 300 watt ported sub should be heard WELL even if the mains are placed on your head.

I'm NOT convinced!

BoB/335 #244109 02/01/09 03:15 PM
D
Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
 Originally Posted By: BoB/335
Well, I don't know about any of you but I am certainly confused!

I have only 1 place to place my M80's. It sounds like to me that the bass you are now hearing is from the ports out of the back of the M80's now that they are closer to the walls. I understand sub placement having an effect because it picks up the walls and floor differently in different places. Seems to me a 300 watt ported sub should be heard WELL even if the mains are placed on your head.

I'm NOT convinced!

Bob, I thought the same as you. But since I have Google'd subwoofer placement and watched axiom video on subwoofer placement, seems to me (although, I'm proof I don't know alot) that speaker placement is absolutely critical.

Also Bob, since you're a PA guy, I did find this article by Peavey,

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/soundsystems/boundarycancellation.cfm

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740
SRoode #244112 02/01/09 03:35 PM
shareholder in the making
Dana:
While 'm glad that everything is working right, I'm surprised that the m80s would have enough output to cancel out your sub. In fact, moving the M80s closer to the wall would reinforce their bass, and theoretically cancel out more from the sub.

Did you ever play with the phase control on the 350 (because this is the type of situation that warrants that control)? It changes the "phase" of the sub output so it matches the other speakers. You don't, in effect, want one woofer "pushing out" while one next to it is "pulling in" because the sound wave created by either is inverse to the other and will cause cancellation. This is also why you want to make sure your speakers are wired correctly in terms of your "pluses and minuses". \:\)

Since I had so much fun creating the wiring diagram last week, this week I've made a "Phase Diagram":

(This may have been more than you needed to know, or too basic for you, but now I can copy and paste the text and graphic the next time someone has a question on the topic! \:\)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Dduval #244114 02/01/09 03:41 PM
B
aficionado
aficionado
B
That's a great article and confirms what I stated. Placement of the "Sub" can be critical. Not the mains. Being involved with PA (somewhat) I have been in discussions of low frequency cancellation. That can happen with 2 subs and is a good reason NOT to have a system set to "large" where the mains are carrying the same frequencies as the sub. It is the very reason why you should be setting your system to "small" when using a sub.

A question that constantly comes up on the PA form I visit is when using a double 15" with a horn cab. The bottom 15" is considered a "quasi sub" that extends lower than the upper woofer yet no where what a real sub will produce. Now these folks want to place a sub underneath this speaker to get real bottom. There is way too much overlapping frequencies with this arrangement and usually gives a muddy low end rather than the big bottom that they are expecting using "extra bottom". This also goes along with the "small" settings in HT. There is also complaints of phase cancelling where ther is loss of bottom. But this cancelling happens more with 2 subs than with anything else.

If you had your system properly set-up with the small setting than you should have heard your sub no matter where it was placed and it should have been loud. My understanding of sub plcement in HT is more for smoothness and level frequency throughout the room (boominess). I still can't see the mains placement having anything to do with the loudness of the sub.

But I really am not that knowledgeable in any of this.

MarkSJohnson #244115 02/01/09 03:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

(This may have been more than you needed to know, or too basic for you, but now I can copy and paste the text and graphic the next time someone has a question on the topic! \:\)

Nice diagram, Mark. Sometimes it's easier for us noobs to understand with straightforward drawings without so much of the technical "jargon".

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
MarkSJohnson #244116 02/01/09 03:46 PM
D
Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Dana:
While 'm glad that everything is working right, I'm surprised that the m80s would have enough output to cancel out your sub. In fact, moving the M80s closer to the wall would reinforce their bass, and theoretically cancel out more from the sub.

Did you ever play with the phase control on the 350 (because this is the type of situation that warrants that control)? It changes the "phase" of the sub output so it matches the other speakers. You don't, in effect, want one woofer "pushing out" while one next to it is "pulling in" because the sound wave created by either is inverse to the other and will cause cancellation. This is also why you want to make sure your speakers are wired correctly in terms of your "pluses and minuses". \:\)

Since I had so much fun creating the wiring diagram last week, this week I've made a "Phase Diagram":

Mark,

I did change the phase on the 350 several times and checked my wiring as well. I don't know for sure, but when I was having these issues, and I look back on it now, I see that the M80's are closer to the back wall and kinda more "in line" with the 350. Where as before, the M80's were either way in front of the 350, and due to the forward location of the M80's the sub was in line with the 350, but all away from the back wall. If that makes sense. It's hard to describe without posting a layout of my room with the before and after speaker locations.

Dana

BoB/335 #244119 02/01/09 03:52 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

If you're talking about co locating (stacking) two subs they will not cancel each other out. They will in fact have more output in this configuration.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #244124 02/01/09 04:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you have a SPL meter you can run some test tones through the EP350 and take readings on your SPL meter and see if there is any measurable difference between each phase setting. If there is leave the phase set to the one that produces the higher reading.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #244126 02/01/09 04:33 PM
Bob, remember that he was running his M80s on large, which means they were producing frequencies down to about 30Hz--well into sub territory. I'm not sure why moving the sub didn't fix this either, but I don't know the particulars of his room, and I'm not an audio engineer.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters