Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Lies and half truth about Axiom
JohnK #245766 02/08/09 04:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
R96, clearly that salesman told you numerous lies, but as has been mentioned, Axiom did sell through some dealers until about five years ago, so that may not have been one of them. For example, Marc Hallam of the Audioshop in Ottawa was an Axiom dealer who was fairly active for a time here on the board, but hasn't been heard from in over five years. Some former dealers undoubtedly had remaining stock after that date.

It seems that after Axiom went to an internet only based company many of the former retailers (and their potential customers) have generated similar stories, the Axiom bashing routine, including the aforementioned by JohnK.
I'm not sure why this attitude has come about but i have yet to hear an opposite opinion from a 'former' Axiom retailer, that Axioms are still a good speaker from when they last sold the brand.

In any event, if you are interested in hearing the Axioms, there are a few people around Regina which may be able to assist.
Regina, SK - M50s, VP150, VP100, QS8s, M22s, M3s (NeverHappy)
Regina, SK - Epic Grand Master (Lexxen)
See this link:
This link.

Alternatively, though a farther drive, there are several of us in Winnipeg who would be open to having you audition the Axiom speakers, and even other brands depending on what is available (e.g. i have Angstrom, Tannoys and one other laying around as comparable quality).

Never underestimate the snobbery in audio.

Last edited by chesseroo; 02/08/09 04:54 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #245767 02/08/09 04:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Chess, how do your Angstrom and Tannoys compare to your Axioms?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #245798 02/08/09 09:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Chess, how do your Angstrom and Tannoys compare to your Axioms?

Hmm,i would have to go digging for some of that info.
Let me see.

You could take a look at this thread for a part of it. You can find some other snippets here however, the Angstroms i own now are not the Modular series but the Legatos.

They are a slightly larger version of the Ponchettos.

I have not tried the small Angstrom vs my floorstanding M60s. It wouldn't be particularly fair esp. in the bass category. I suppose i could test by setting up the mains as small in the receiver, crossed at 80Hz, then unplug my subwoofer and compare the M60s and Angstroms from that point.

Last edited by chesseroo; 02/08/09 09:48 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Lies and half truth
rage96 #245923 02/09/09 07:36 PM
N
N
I too live in Regina and purchased my Axiom Epic80/500 system last January. While I didn't shop locally for speakers (because I was interested in a couple online brands) I did purchase a Denon 3808 from Krazy Kiley's last February. It cost me $1450 CDN including taxes in Feb 2008, and it was cheaper than ordering online.

At the time of the Denon purchase I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I had Axiom's. The Kiley's person I was dealing with didn't make any negative comments... probably because I already ordered the speakers and was so dead set on picking up a 3808 that he just wanted to complete the sale and earn some commission. I have heard--but forget where--that Krazy Kiley's used to sell Axioms many years ago.

However, in the past year I've been to a few other local Regina stores and the response I get from most sales associates is that Axioms are bad and why would I have them? Of course they've never actually listened to them. But also in the past year, of the 60 or so people that have listened to my setup 55+ of them really enjoy the Axioms paired with the Denon 3808.

I also own two DLP projectors and every time I go into a local store to look at TVs the sales associates tell me how bad projectors are, not knowing that I have them. For the ones I do tell they attempt to back pedal but just end up looking more foolish.

I purchased my 7.1 Axiom system in anticpation of blu-ray and 7.1 HD sound. Now after having a PS3 for 6 months and having watched many movies I'm very glad I made the purchase.

-N

Nekkr #245929 02/09/09 08:06 PM
B
aficionado
aficionado
B
Nekkr

Where have you been! Almost 1 year to the date. Happy Anniversary and looking forward to hearing all about you in-home Axiom experience (with pics!)

Nekkr #245934 02/09/09 08:44 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
As I mentioned a little earlier when it comes to retailers, it can be a never ending battle to get useful, educated and accurate information. I remember a retailer I used to deal with(who has since disappeared)carried the Axiom line but like other outlets they carried other lines of products too. Therein lies the problem in that more often than not they are going to promote the products that would probably give them the best margins. I would assume after many years of fighting this, Axiom, once they had been well established, decided to go the internet-only route and avoid the hassle. I suppose that is why we have seen in recent years, more and more of the specialty electronics co's i.e. Emotiva, Outlaw, Oppo etc. etc. never even bothered going the retail route and went strictly to internet sales. Far superior product knowledge AND value, better service and warranties along with money-back guarantees negated any customer concerns about product purchase as opposed to going in to the potential horror of the retail environment.

casey01 #246014 02/10/09 04:00 AM
veteran
veteran
The only time I enter a retail environment any more is after tons of product research (usually online). Then after deciding exactly what I want, I compare prices. And if I can't get it online for cheaper, only then will I enter the store. And it's usually walk in / walk out. I don't even notice the sales people, \:D

PS; I never expected to buy new speakers without ever hearing them first or comparing. But after months of research, you guys forced me to make an exception! Boy am I ever glad I listened to you.
Even if your humour drives me crazy!
OK . . . let me have it!

Last edited by 80'sMan; 02/10/09 04:04 AM.

Epic 50 - 500 System ( M50 / QS4 / VP100 / EP500 )
80'sMan #246033 02/10/09 05:20 AM
B
aficionado
aficionado
B
 Quote:

PS; I never expected to buy new speakers without ever hearing them first or comparing. But after months of research, you guys forced me to make an exception! Boy am I ever glad I listened to you.
Even if your humour drives me crazy!

Same here. Except for the "humor" part. I don't find anything funny here AT ALL! (Oops, almost forgot to put a smiley face. They're such stiffs here they're liable to think I'm serious or something) \:\) \:\( \:D \:o \:\/ ;\) OK here's an extra

BoB/335 #246074 02/10/09 02:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have only met one salesperson that actually seemed to know what Axiom speakers were. Oddly enough, it was an 'assistant-manager' type at the local Best Buy-Magnolia store. While browsing AVR's, he asked what kind of speakers I had. When I answered, "Axiom", he actually sort of nodded and said that he had heard of those. "They're a Canadian direct-seller, right? I've heard they make good stuff," he said. He asked me a couple of questions about them and seemed to be genuinely interested in them. I was surprised.

But every other home audio salesperson I've ever met, from big-box stores to boutique high-end shops have either not known about Axiom or has been negative about them. To be fair, most have said they've never heard of Axiom. But several that claim to know what they are have made negative comments about them. "Oh, those are the speakers they sell out of a van, right?" "You don't want those, they're chinese-made garbage". "Those are crummy speakers and they know it, which is why they don't sell them in any stores." etc, etc.

For the ones that immediately talk of how bad they are, I chalk it up to plain old fear. Fear that the direct-to-customer model of Axiom will drive them out of a job. Fear that Axiom speakers really are as good as they are. After all, we're bypassing the middlemen by buying Axiom speakers.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #246157 02/10/09 08:41 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Peter:

You are right on the money. In the case you describe and countless others, talking to people like this is an exercise in futility. Most of the customers of the big-box stores are NOT generally Axiom's customers anyway. As I mentioned before, it can be seen that more and more of the excellent online companies have chosen to go that way right from the outset to avoid being a slave to the retailers. Their reputations are built by word of mouth AND the online reviews from such places as "Audioholics", "Secrets of HTHF etc. etc. The day of the consumer electronics monthly magazine seems to be gradually disappearing anyway, so the online companies fit nicely in to that slot. In the near or distant future I cannot see myself making ANY purchase from a retailer other than a TV although, even now, I am starting to see sales of monitors as well as front projection units with online companies as well, so who knows?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,481
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (FordPrefect), 689 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup