Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Thanks for Visiting my Home Theater Micah!
davekro #250882 03/09/09 12:44 AM
SRoode Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I think you're over thinking it... Something simple like this should be just fine.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
Adrian #250886 03/09/09 01:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
I just noticed the small collection of cowboy boots on top of the wall units!

yeah... just a couple of pairs up there eh?

-David
Micah #250898 03/09/09 03:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Very cool (long) report.

(and i thought i typed alot).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
SRoode #250901 03/09/09 03:52 AM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
I think you're over thinking it...

Steve, who told you my middle name? I do suffer from 'there must be perfect answer syndrome' more than is helpful. ;\)

Thanks for your ideas.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
SirQuack #250913 03/09/09 12:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
I believe Jack is the guy in the blue shirt hiding in the back/center.

Yep, Dat's me. Blue shirt, glasses, arms folded, next to the guy in the beret.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Adrian #250918 03/09/09 12:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
I just noticed the small collection of cowboy boots on top of the wall units!

LOL! That GTG was at Craigsub's (Craig Chase's) house. His lovely wife (and his 3 children) all ride. The entire family spends two weeks at a ranch (not your typical "dude" ranch) in Wyoming each summer. So, their great room has a decidedly Western theme.

The second photo is in Craig's basement room which is absolutely the best listening room I've ever been in. It is all underground so behind the walls is nothing but dirt. I believe Craig said the walls are also insulated. Regardless, it is a very dead room without being excessively anechoic. You can get a very good idea of how a given speaker really sounds and music just sounds incredible down there.

The guy seated to the left on the sofa (legs crossed) is my very good friend and fellow Axiom forum member Ray3.

Apologies to all the old regulars who probably (and justifiably) feel they've seen this photo too many times. (Photoshop work by Pmbuko)

Jack

Ajax #250919 03/09/09 12:28 PM
shareholder in the making
I recognized Ray as well. \:\)

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #250920 03/09/09 01:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Micah
Oh and to address a few earlier questions, my search for high end audio was actually rather short lived. You see after the fire I thought I was going to go with a complete Cambridge Soundworks set-up. But when they no longer offered the $2000 dollar power towers I'd been wanting to upgrade to all those years, I started searching for something else in the $2000 dollar range. Paradigm was the 1st company I really researched at any great length. Then I found Axiom when searching for subwoofers.

And I really liked what I saw and heard about all the Axiom products so from that moment forward I was gung-ho about a 100% Axiom HT system... until Bob's thread came up. Hearing about a person who was as disappointed in his purchase as Bob was, along with all the poor comments I read on the Salk forum really made me second guess whether or not spending $4000 dollars on speakers I've never even heard before was a wise choice. I didn't run out and search for another brand at that point, because Steve quickly picked up the ball and offered a demo at his place.

So I figured I'd wait to make my decision until I heard the speakers (he has every speaker I'm getting) first hand. Well I no longer have any hesitation or desire to search out a different brand. I'm not here to say Bob was wrong, I'm a staunch believer in 'to each his own'. All I'm here to say is that I love the M80's/EP800/QS8's & VP150 combo. If they are bright then I like bright. They will no doubt be 'brighter' yet in my living room, but I have no fear that I won't like them. My mind is made up.

So now it's order time. But my girlfriend & I depart on a 9 day trip to Rome/Venace & Florence on the 12th, so I'm going to wait until we get back from our trip to put my order in.

You never know, I may just NEED that $4000 dollars while we're there!

The whole post was excellent but, if I may, I'd like to address the part I've highlighted in blue.

It's good to see that you've learned that opinions about speakers are no more than that - opinions. If one looks hard enough, one can find user opinions, about any speaker, ranging from raves to "they're crap." You can just about always throw out the really horrible ones as well as the fanatically positive ones that make it sound like the speakers will cure herpes and make you look like Brad Pitt. It's likely the truth lies somewhere in between.

One would be wise to also discount the opinions that start out "I've never really heard them but........," for they are merely hearsay and we've already established that one can easily find a wide range of opinions about any speaker. Because somebody heard someone say something doesn't make it factual.

Lastly, I can guarantee that, at some point, you'll find yourself thinking something akin to "OMG! \:o That sounds a little harsh ." At that moment you'll likely think of Bob and start to wonder if he was right. Just remember that a good speaker will accurately reproduce what it is fed. I've never owned speakers, any speaker, that, depending on the source (most often with poorly recorded CDs and some concerts/movies on TV), didn't, occasionally, sound harsh. Garbage in - garbage out. The room itself (dimensions, surfaces, furnishings) can also be a factor. If a given speaker is truly harsh, it will always sound harsh regardless what you feed it or where it is located.

Rome? Venice? Florence? I think I hate you.

;\)

Jack

Ajax #250929 03/09/09 03:09 PM
I think my wife hates him.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
davekro #250944 03/09/09 04:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: davekro
(Micah, how'd Steve ever get you guys to leave! ;o)

Haha, well Steve is an incredibly nice guy, he never once hinted that it was time for us to leave or anything of that nature (hell they even offered us to join them for lunch as we were leaving). But you see Steve doesn't get home much, so I realized time with his family is very precious. Therefore there was no way I was going to stay there any longer than what we had originally discussed, I didn't want to impose on his quality time any more than I had to. Now say he and his wife and kids were to have fallen ill with some mysterious sickness while we were there then sure, I would have definately voluntereed to stay and nurse them back to good health over the next couple of years... but that wasn't the case (darn it)!

Lol, ok all kidding aside... I wanted to briefly discuss some interesting aspects of Steve's system. Like he pointed out before while we were listening to the music/movies we were listening to it at 100+ db's for most of the audition. But had Steve not had an SPL meter right in front of my face I may not have believed it! This isn't a knock on his set-up or his room in any way mind you, it's just that the music was so clean and free of any distortion what-so-ever that the volume was very deceiving. The only time I would really notice how loud it actually was, was when I would start to mention something to Steve and I couldn't hear myself talk even though I was practically screaming at him!!! \:o

The music played flat as a ruler across the entire bandwidth spectrum. The transition from M80 to EP800 was completely seamless. He could have hidden the 800's and told me that all the sound was coming out of the M80's and I would never have been able to tell otherwise. I had him play 'All the Kings Men' on purpose because it's a full range song that really tests speaker systems to the max and will point out what ever weak links you might have... the Axioms breezed throught that song without ever breaking a sweat, I was damn impressed! Now keep in mind Steve explained to me that his EP800's were not turned up all that much. He has his system tuned very musically, and it shined in that catagory. There was nothing over powering at all in any aspect of the delivery. The bass was very tight and authoritive, without drowning out the mids and highs. Same with the tweeters, they delivered the highs without ever SCREAMING at you. I could see where some people might come out of that demo not being tremendously impressed with the fact that he had $4000 dollars worth of subwoofers performing in there. But if you wanted more bass, it's definately availible. It's just that Steve isn't a 'bass head', he prefers his music to be accurate, and I can't imagine it being anymore accurate than what he has now.

He also demonstrated Audessey, and we both agreed that his normal settings (we were listening in 5.1) sounded much better than when Audessey was running things. Audessey seemed to muffle the music somehow, kinda hard to explain. But when he turned it back normal the sound field opened up a lot more... I wasn't too keen on the Audessey. Maybe in some systems it would improve things, but certainly not in Steve's case.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,304 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup