Rate Thread
Home Theater Lighting
#25144 11/10/03 03:49 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hello
I am enjoying this site immensely...

I am constructing a home theater in my unfinished basement. Its about 700 square feet of concrete basement with about a 8.5 foot drop ceiling. I will be framing & sheetrocking the walls and adding a berber carpet. The screen will be at one end and I am setting up a pool table at the other end. I can't use a traditonal hanging pool table light because I am also getting a ping pong table ad-on that will be used over the pool table, and the hanging light would interfere with play.

I am trying to figure out what type of lighting to use. I would like to set up a circuit over the theater that is on a dimmer. The lighting over the pool table may or may not be on a dimmer, depending on whether I use (gulp) flourescent or not.

The only two options I can think of for the theater area are recessed cans or track lighting, and the same for the pool table plus florescent.

My question for the experts is what do you recommend? I have been in several show rooms that have track lighting and recesed cans where the lighting rattled unacceptedly loud. I don't want to use florescent, particularly over the theater.

Also, doe anyone have any advice on how to secure lighting to prevent rattling?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Home Theater Lighting
#25145 11/10/03 04:38 AM
local
local
Here: http://www.usalight.com/lighting/recessed.tpl is a good internet source of recessed lighting. Look at the 3", 4", and 5" with halogen bulbs. A nice thing about recessed lights is the variety of trims you can work with and change at relatively low cost. The 5" line voltage is the least expensive. The 3" low voltage the classiest and most expensive. Look at the IC housings.

Mark
#25146 11/10/03 11:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm no expert in lighting. But I strongly suggest you install a remote controlled dimmer. I installed one of these units in our living-room HT, and it was an instant hit. It simply replaces the wall switch. Lutron makes remote controlled multi-dimmers, too.

#25147 11/11/03 02:38 AM
local
local
I would whole-heartedly agree on the remote control dimmer(s). Keep in mind that cheap dimmers can give off RF frequency interference so don't skimp on the dimmers if you are looking for off the air radio reception.

I would also look for a combination of ceiling down lighting(recessed) over the pool/ping-pong seating areas and more atmospheric lighting effects from some nice wall sconces. Spreading a number of small recessed halogen fixtures evenly around the room's perimeter can give excellent general lighting both directly and reflected off the walls. Plan your switching and dimming to create different lighting levels and types that can be combined for different purposes and moods. The remote controlled dimmers are a great idea for home theater IMO. I would also look at perimeter room lighting separately switched from targeted lighting over activity areas.

Mark
#25148 11/11/03 06:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have a combination of recessed ceiling cans and wall sconces, both on dimmers. IMHO, the wall sconces are by far more appealing than the cans.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
#25149 11/11/03 09:56 PM
aficionado
aficionado
ditto on the sconces,you can have the lights on without them blaring in your eyes...ron

#25150 11/11/03 10:35 PM
local
local
Since this is a basement room it will probably be very dependant on artificial light. That is part of why I emphasize halogen bulbs their higher temperature give off a whiter light closer to sunlight. The smaller recessed fixtures, particularly the low voltage units seem to create a more pleasant even light than do the larger cans. Since this room is not just a theater room but will be used for other activities like pool and ping pong the lighting requirments are more intense and varied. You probably won't want to compensate for inadquate fixed lighting with lamps that can be knocked over. Also trying to light with too few bright fixtures will tend to cause problems with hot spots where your pupils contract and consequently make dimmer areas darker and will be directional causing shadowing that can make other acitivities like tracking a pinp pong ball difficult. Also look carefully at the variety of trims for recessed lights like eyeballs that allow lights to be aimed, directed or masked. These trims can also be changed in a few minutes at low cost for different effects. For sitting and reading or similar activities task focused lighting rather than general abmiant light is better.
Keep in mind also there is considerable personal preference in what is pleasant lighting. You should really pay attention to what rooms and lighting conditions you and your family prefer. Flexible and dimable lighting that lets you make adjustments will probably be a good investment in the long run.

Mark
#25151 11/12/03 03:30 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
This is tremendous feedback! Thank you very much for the time. The lighting site is excellent as is the idea for eyeball recessed cans!
Thanks again.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,949
Posts442,517
Members15,619
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters