Sony Receivers and center channel
#256835 04/15/09 05:48 AM
A
audtrek Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
A
Hi, I am a recent owner of a VP-150 which I was sure would fix all my problems of not having crisp voice output on 5.1, etc. This has not been the case however and I am starting to suspect the receiver. It is a brand new STR-DG720, which seems to get good ratings. I was having the same problem with my old Sony before the lightning took it to heaven, and I attributed that to the poor center speaker.

Has anyone had this experience with Sony?

Re: Sony Receivers and center channel
audtrek #256842 04/15/09 07:24 AM
shareholder in the making
Trek, welcome. There wouldn't appear to be any reason why the Sony(or any other receiver)would have a problem specifically with the center channel. They have the capability of amplifying sound equally well, regardless of what channel it happens to be in. Far more likely the problem would arise from the program material being inadequate, or occasionally the center speaker. Sometimes bumping the center channel level up 3-4dB from the calibrated equal level can help in making dialog more clear.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #256843 04/15/09 10:42 AM
What is the position of the center channel...i.e., where and how do you have it installed? (photos win us over!)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #256848 04/15/09 11:43 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Probably old advice but have all the speakers been calibrated to equal loudness levels? I think its safe to say that a lot of us calibrate then bump up the center channel a db or two to get the extra clarity on dialogue. Seems to be a necessary evil irregardless of the center speaker model.

Placement and angle could also be important.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
audtrek #256869 04/15/09 01:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi audiotrek,

While I've never liked Sony AV receivers or even their ES line and never recommend them, it's highly unlikely (as JohnK has pointed out) that there would be a specific problem with the center channel.

Most cases of center-channel lack of clarity or intelligibility are because of placement problems and simply running the center too low in level. Lots of soundtrack mixing engineers get carried away with surround effects and do not mix the center channel loud enough (they've heard the dialog endless times while editing the movie or program and don't realize the dialog channel is too weak). Make sure your VP150 isn't "buried" in some entertainment center nook. Aim it towards your listening area by putting a rubber door stop under the back edge (or, if you're in Canada, a hockey puck. . .).

I often run my center 5 dB hotter than the rest of the speakers, particularly with certain programs (I just watched one of my favorites, "Law &Order: Criminal Intent," broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1, and the surround mixes are so relatively loud (New York city ambience, etc.) that I always crank the center up to make the dialog intelligible.

I do the same for movies where dialog has been mixed too low-level.

Another factor may be that you're running your surrounds too loud. Many enthusiasts want to "hear" the surround channels as distinct entities (they should blend in and not call attention to themselves), which invariably means they're set too loud.

Regards,

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #256873 04/15/09 02:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome to the forum audtrek,

Have you ruled out that the VP150 might be defective. Sometimes drivers, tweeters etc can get damaged if the shipping companies treat the boxes rough. How did the boxes look when you received it?

Just to rule that out take off the grille of the VP150 and using any program/music of your liking that you know has excellent sound quality (with the volume on low) put your ear up to each driver and tweeter. If you notice a driver/tweeter not functioning or if sounds noticeably muffled or you hear any distortion call Axioms toll free number and they will take good care of you.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #256879 04/15/09 02:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good advice, Dr. House. While it's rare that wires become disconnected in shipping, or specific drivers fail, such incidents do happen, and the tests you recommend will help determine if a driver isn't working.

Regards,

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #256884 04/15/09 03:15 PM
old hand
old hand
In my case I flipped my VP150 upside down to improve the aim of the drivers (remember to flip the grill also). This made all the difference in the world.

M80s,VP150,EP500,QS8(4)
alan #256885 04/15/09 03:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As Alan and Mark mention, position has a lot to do with clarity. My center channel "improved" dramatically by moving it from a very low stance to an above-the-display location. It is not that the center needs to be above the display, just that in my room and setup the center was being muffled by close floor reflections and absorbent materials much more than the L/R. Fixing that make the center sound much better and thus improved soundstage on HT and some music.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
alan #257052 04/16/09 03:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: alan
.....Aim it towards your listening area by putting a rubber door stop under the back edge (or, if you're in Canada, a hockey puck. . .).

Alan, the timing of your comment was impeccable. This morning I reached down into the bottom of my laptop case to grab a USB cord and came out with, you guessed it, a hockey puck. Not sure how it got there exactly but it is playoff season.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters