Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Sub level- adjust at sub vs let Denon/Audyssey1909
SirQuack #257520 04/20/09 01:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks,
I checked for updates at the time and was current. There may be more now but it is not a big concern for me. I could definitely use some bass tweaking for sure but am otherwise happy with my sound with just db levels calibrated manually.

The mike was screwed into a tripod, ear height on the center of the couch where I sit. Slightly above the backrest so open on all sides. Pretty much where it needs to be, I think, and the mounting hole on the bottom pretty much dictates correct orientation.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #257601 04/21/09 05:20 AM
old hand
old hand
Well Dave, I know it is crazy but the audyssey works on sound waves, it does not mean it is right or wrong. It is about the distance. So your ear or a spl meter might be a better judge, but the audyssey is great for distance for your speakers. Maybe move one of your subs in the room at a time to see if any changes.

Gieseman
SirQuack #257699 04/22/09 01:56 AM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Dave, you mention you have 3 subs. Have you calibrated each of them one by one to 75dB, ...

I'm not sure he should be doing that. There have been some discussions on AVSforum and diyAudio recently of the Geddes approach to subs, which is (roughly, in my crude paraphrase) to even out bass response using a variety of sub types, placement, and volume-phase adjustments. Essentially, you place the subs and adjust them in whatever way works best.

Greg
VP180, M80s, M22s, QS8(4), CSW S305s, EP500, Pioneer VSX-90
M2i, M3(2), Pio vsx-1020
GregLee #257706 04/22/09 03:32 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Been there, done that, did that.

Why should he not do that, it is a proven method that has been around a lot longer, and has a lot more followers than the GedLee approach.

My results following Toole and Welti's approach, as well as Ian, Jakeman, Craigsub, etc. have brought about much flatter response then the GedLee method, and they are much easier to accomplish.

ps: i forgot to mention bass traps and frz's in the equation are a must.

SMS-1 graph with 'NO' eq added after following the methods I described above with my ep600 and twin ep350v3's.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

JohnK #257720 04/22/09 04:57 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Dave, regarding the new models, I suppose that you've read the info that Matt from Denon has provided at the RC forum .

John, Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about that great resource. Matt is great!

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
jakewash #257724 04/22/09 05:21 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Unfortunately Dave, I am suggesting an amp of the same power range of the A1400, but as we have been mentioning there are some less costly alternatives. Luc, seems to be liking his Behringer and many others have the Crown XTI1000, much cheaper options to drive the M80s.

And I would also be looking at upgrading the other 2 subs to the same quality of the Paradigm. If they were able to contribute as much to the system as the Servo does you might find you won't need to run the Servo as high.

Just wondering how you calibrated all 3 subs? Maybe this is where the issue lies.

Each should have been calibrated to the same level as the speakers with the other subs off, then all 3 subs should then be turned on. This would net you 9db(is my math right?) gain. Audyssey isn't set up to handle multiple subs correctly. If the 9db is too much you could set each sub 1 db less than the speakers and achieve 6db gain, etc.

Jay, yes the two smaller subs don't really count as real subs. second used Servo 15 for $350 would be nice. \:\)

What I've done until now... I leave all on when Audyssey runs.

So the way you suggest. After running Audyssey (I just did with my new back brackets holding the back speakers mid ceiling), I turn off subs 2 & 3. Go into manual test tones to listen to each speaker. I'd use the subs volume knob to adjust the sub to match the SPL of the other speakers with the RS meter. Then repeat with #2 & #3. Is that correct? Then as now, I can still adjust the sub level on the fly with the Denon remote, correct?
Thanks, Dave

Dave

Ken.C #257725 04/22/09 05:23 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
 Quote:
Get ready, Dave and REW equals 10,000 post in 48 hrs.

This is amusing! I don't think either Peter or I (the only posters >10000 posts) have ever used REW. ;\)

Ken, no worries, I won't be going down the REW path.

Dave

davekro #257727 04/22/09 05:26 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Coward!

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
SirQuack #257730 04/22/09 05:37 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Dave, you mention you have 3 subs. Have you calibrated each of them one by one to 75dB, or whatever db your other speakers are set? Also, are they placed around the room, or all up front?

Process:

Turn all subs off.
Turn sub "one" on, and calibrate it to 75dB's like the other speakers.
Turn sub "one" off, and turn sub "two" on and calibrate it to 75dB.
Turn sub "two" off, and turn sub "three" on and calibrate it to 75dB.
Then turn all subs on which will give you about a 5dB gain over the speakers, but that is what sounds great to me, and recommended in Ian's video.

For distance (delay) you have to average the distance of all your subs, it is best to try to space them equal distance from you, but that may be difficult, so just average their distances.

Then, run Audyssey.

Randy, I should have read on a bit. You and Jay are saying pretty much the same. I did not know you'd 'then' run Audyssey after that. Previously, I have had the two 'lesser' subs adjusted to just below where they distort. Then run Audyssey pos.#1 for the sub check to get it around =/- 3dB, then run Audyssey. I wonder if this has a similar effect, except making sure the two lower end subs don't go into clipping or port chortle(tech term ;o). I actually took apart one KLH and checked all screws for tightness, thinking something was vibrating inside. No change. Turns out the port (though glued in solid, was creating an awefull noise. So I just turned them down a bit in elation to the Servo 15. Pretty much, when in a bass heavy seection, if they'd distort/chortle, I turned down the kn ob until this was eliminated. That is why I have always felt the two KLH's are just sort of filler LFE, not being asked to perform to the SPL that the Servo15 does.

I did not realize others have felt Audyssey sets the sub level too low. Does just manually bumping the sub trim up from the remote on the fly not reproduce bass as well because Aydyssey did not set it there?

Dave

GregLee #257732 04/22/09 05:51 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: GregLee
Dave, you mention you have 3 subs. Have you calibrated each of them one by one to 75dB, ...

I'm not sure he should be doing that. There have been some discussions on AVSforum and diyAudio recently of the Geddes approach to subs, which is (roughly, in my crude paraphrase) to even out bass response using a variety of sub types, placement, and volume-phase adjustments. Essentially, you place the subs and adjust them in whatever way works best.

Greg & Randy,

I will try the individual sub adjustment that so many recommend. But I wonder if that will ask the two KLH 10" 120watt subs to try to make the same volume as the Paradigm Servo 15. If that is the case they may distort when when heavy LFE demands are made. This case of using subs of such hugely different capacity may cause a problem in having the KLH's t6rying to produce the same peak SPLs as the Paradigm is capable of. I certainly will not tone down the Servo15 to the level the 120w subs can handle.

So would you expect with SPL matching that the cheaper subs may distort, thus causing me to turn there gain knob down anyway. Do you think with the diff, SQ subs I should still match their SPLs to the other speakers?

Dave

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,067 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup