I have been wanting more bass from musical selections. I was using Dire Straits, MTV demoing surrounds and my drummer neighbor said he liked more bass than my set up/ adjustments was putting out. I have plenty of sub power (Paradigm Servo 15a and two KLH 10" just as filler). I have always just left the sub level wherever Audyssey sets it, usually =/- 3dB from zero. Sometimes I would bump it up 2-3dB from the Audyssey setting. My Servo15's volume knob had always been set at about 11 O'clock, with the KLH's set about the same, but a bit lower, more to sound so they would not compete with the 15" with their less than smooth at loud levels.

So today, my drummer buddy who has the exact same Servo 15, has his sub vol knob set higher at about 2 O'clock. His smaller room with his 130w x 5 Yamaha and one Servo 15 sounded much better on the bass than my set up. We came back here and turned my sub knob to 3 O'clock, then also raised the trim in the Denon 1909 about 3 dB from the prev, Aud. setting of -3dB. It sounded good. He liked it and I liked it.

Assuming I will wanting to run the sub hotter than the Audyssey setting, the question for you guys is whether there is any sound quality difference between:

1) Increasing the subs trim at the sub, then when Audyysey sees it hot, it compensates by lowering the subs trim to say -7 in the 1909. I then manually bump the 1909 setting to say zero, or +3,or whatever to get what sounds good.

2) Leave the subs vol. knob at straight up at 12 O'clock, or what ever setting that yields an Audyssey zero +/- 3dB. then bump up the sub in the 1909 somewhere in close to the maxximum 12 setting?

Is the SQ absolutely no difference between increasing the trim at the sub before running Audyssey, or raising the 1909's setting more because it was not done at the sub before AUd. was run.
I'm repeating my self now. I'll stop. \:\)
1)

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."