Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Major Change...considering Axiom
Shaun #265333 07/04/09 06:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you have no issue on keeping your current surrounds I’d try out some other mains first before changing them. Many people successfully mix and match surrounds from other manufactures than their mains. Their distance from the mains and usually different material playing from them hide most tonal differences. The only time I’ve been bothered by tonal differences in surrounds I’ve used is during gaming when there are hard pans going 360 degrees around the room.

BTW subwoofers are not speakers. They are end-tables nice corner tables for lamps… ;\) Come on, there’s gotta be some angle you can work.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #265335 07/04/09 07:01 PM
S
Shaun Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
 Originally Posted By: grunt
If you have no issue on keeping your current surrounds I’d try out some other mains first before changing them. Many people successfully mix and match surrounds from other manufactures than their mains. Their distance from the mains and usually different material playing from them hide most tonal differences. The only time I’ve been bothered by tonal differences in surrounds I’ve used is during gaming when there are hard pans going 360 degrees around the room.

BTW subwoofers are not speakers. They are end-tables nice corner tables for lamps… ;\) Come on, there’s gotta be some angle you can work.

Well, here is what I am working with (I could shoot myself for not thinking about this 4 years ago when I had the house built)....here is a pic of my current setup - pics are from years ago before the rest of the house was painted, so please excuse the bare white walls:) ...you may notice the SLIM space I have between the windows and the fireplace????? That is where I need my new speakers to go (the W22's will fit in between there). Also, there are 4 2x4 studs running vertically (where the cutout above the fireplace is)...I cannot have a large in wall speaker in there, as the studs will be in the way...I cannot hack into them because this is a load bearing wall...also, the switches for fireplace controls are kind of on a stud, but the stud does not go down from there....it does go UP though, so mounting the speakers up higher is not really an option...well, I maybe could squeeze them in, but then my tweeters are 7 feet off the ground (not good!)..I dont think you can install the W22's upside down, right? (Since they snap into the mounting frame from the top). The sub has been moved closer to the right front speaker as there is now a 75G African cichlid fishtank in the righ corner of the room...As you can see, this is not an ideal setup, but the wife wants the speakers off the ground, at least until we build another house and I can have a dedicated mans room in the basement. The unique mounting characteristics of the W22's seem to fit well here...unless I am missing something???? What do you think?

Shaun #265345 07/04/09 07:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
First off, very nice room/equipment!

Second, ever consider keeping the speakers and upgrading the WAF? ;\) Can’t find a way to buy her off on this one…second honeymoon…gotta be something.

Originally Posted By: Shaun

I dont think you can install the W22's upside down, right? Since they snap into the mounting frame from the top)

I don’t see why not. I’m sure you could come up with something to hold them in place. Might want to give Axiom a call and see if they have any suggestions. I’ve used M22 upside down on top of my M80s before and even an M80 upside down on top of my TV to keep the tweeters from being 7 feet high and it worked great. As long as it’s vertical I would go with whichever orientation keeps the tweeters closest to ear level.

Originally Posted By: Shaun

but the wife wants the speakers off the ground

Hang the suckers from the ceiling, or build small shelves where you plan to mount the W22s and set your current main upside down on top of them and tell her how much money you saved by not buying new speakers. Ok, now we’re learning why I’m not married anymore. ;\)

Seriously, the W22s should be perfect for your situation. The only question is if you like the way Axiom speakers sound and based on other things you’ve said it seems like you will. As you already are aware you’re going to take a big hit in sound quality and imaging by doing this so it might take some getting use to no matter what brand of speakers you buy.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #265349 07/04/09 08:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Beautiful room! How big was that servo?? It dosn't look any bigger than the EP500. Two EP400s would work well in that room and they are considerably smaller.

If you are at all handy, I would seriously look at dean's side table suggestion. If you look through pictures on some of the DIY forums, there are some really nice sub builds out there diguised as real furniture.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #265355 07/04/09 08:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think Dean is on to the best option - WAF. Okay, she don't dig the black monoliths so much. Do you really blame her? Try letting her pick from a plate of custom wood finishes from Axiom. I have been shocked by the quality of the wood finishes Axiom offers. And having grown tired of my black boxes I added a real mahogany veneer, and i can tell you first hand it changes the room dramatically. Give that a shot before you butcher her walls and limit the sound quality with in-wall solutions. That is a lose-lose situation she must be uspet by! I would trade real wood towers for the sub...for now. A compact sub for HT can be added later, but good M80 towers will suffice for 958% of of your hT needs.

Option two - go German and take over Poland! When my wife got tired of the big TV and black boxes, I got tired of never eating in the formal dining room. So, I liberated the hostage HT in the dining room, and everyone was happy. One or two days a year I hear how a formal room would be nice for whatever event, but 7 days a week i think how nice the Man Cave HT is to have. Best move ever, and everyone is happy - Den looks nice with no stereo or TV equipment, and HT looks like an intentional room, not a frat house. Just added the final touch for the look - a projector. Never could have done that in the den.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #265357 07/04/09 08:46 PM
shareholder in the making
Smoking Babies are pretty much always wise.

Hmmmm.. the "Always Wise Smoking Babies" would be a good name for a band.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #265364 07/04/09 09:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Smoking Babies are pretty much always wise.

Hmmmm.. the "Always Wise Smoking Babies" would be a good name for a band.

Sure beats Chicken Feet, but I still like the "Deaf Monks on Parade".

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #265366 07/04/09 09:12 PM
Howzabout the "Smokin' Hot Monks"?

(Or does "deaf" HAVE to be in there?)

grunt #265385 07/04/09 11:58 PM
 Quote:
Second, ever consider keeping the speakers and upgrading the WAF? ;\)

If you fail to consider WAF, you may experience a condition that's known by the same acronym. (hint: Wife Ain't _ _ _ _ in').

pmbuko #265387 07/05/09 12:11 AM
Who would want a wife that was fartin' anyways?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020