Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 33 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 32 33
Re: Skiing Ninja. Anyone heard of this
CV #269888 08/20/09 05:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ok I read the 'super clock' write up and all I can say is I would have to see this with my own eyes to believe it. And I say that because I fell for the 'Monster Cable' hype back in my youth, and once my eye's were open to the complete bullshit that is the Monster hype machine, I will no longer read a sentence such as that and then shell out $300 dollars for it without thoroughly investigating and testing it out myself to see if I feel there is any difference at all to be had. In my limited experience I've yet to notice much 'distortion' when it comes to Bluray playback. That isn't to say there aren't better components to be had out there, but are they $300 dollars better?

I have a sneaking suspision that if I took a regular Joe Oppo player and hooked it up to a decent LCD tv, then hooked up an Oppo player with this 'super clock' installed and switched the playback back and forth between the two, the differences in the picture would be so minute they would be undetectable to the vast majority of viewers, and incredibly hard to distinguish by the few who actually could tell any difference at all. You see when you go over to someone's house who has one of these players and they say, "look at that picture, isn't it incredible"!!! Sure it's easy to think to yourself 'wow, that really is an amazing picture, that super clock is wicked good'... but what you don't know is if you could even tell the difference side by side with a regular Oppo player. Because let's face it, Bluray images are stunning all on their own. But someone telling you it's stunning because of a $300 dollar super clock doesn't make it so.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #269890 08/20/09 06:36 AM
shareholder in the making
Yeah, Micah, the use of terms such as "huge", "night-and-day", etc. in areas of audio where it's questionable and hasn't been proven that even very subtle audible differences exist, should send up warning flags. This is frequently an attempt to substitute extravagant language for facts.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #269893 08/20/09 06:50 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
This is frequently an attempt to substitute extravagant language for facts.

This is my whole plan for landing a wife.

JohnK #269895 08/20/09 07:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You guys are being mean…I’m telling.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
CV #269897 08/20/09 08:22 AM
C
CV Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: CV
This is my whole plan for landing a wife.

Not that I'm necessarily going to settle for a plane wife.

JohnK #269899 08/20/09 09:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
This is frequently an attempt to substitute extravagant language for facts.

There's a lawyer joke in there somewhere. ;\)

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
pmbuko #269904 08/20/09 03:15 PM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
You say these mods would make a huge difference. How? Where's the proof? I don't want to see oscilloscope scans showing differences in performance. I want to know if a panel of audio enthusiasts can tell the stock unit from a modded unit 10 times out of 10 in a blind test. Because that's being asserted when a huge difference is claimed.

I guess huge is a little superlative. It would make a noticeable improvement that's for sure. As for your "oscilloscope scans" I don't know what to say... These things are hard to quantify on that level. When you're dealing with the analog realm IE speaker, mike and old analog mixing boards it's not something that can be analyzed in that way. Does this mean it's BS? Hardly, tell that to the famous audio engineers at Abby Road etc that used certain mixing boards and valve EQs etc to produce a certain sonic signature it's BS. One knows what one's ears hear. That's about all I can say about it. The law of diminishing returns still applies though.

Solid-State

Last edited by SolidState; 08/20/09 03:17 PM.
Micah #269905 08/20/09 03:25 PM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Micah
Ok I read the 'super clock' write up and all I can say is I would have to see this with my own eyes to believe it. And I say that because I fell for the 'Monster Cable' hype back in my youth, and once my eye's were open to the complete bullshit that is the Monster hype machine, I will no longer read a sentence such as that and then shell out $300 dollars for it without thoroughly investigating and testing it out myself to see if I feel there is any difference at all to be had. In my limited experience I've yet to notice much 'distortion' when it comes to Bluray playback. That isn't to say there aren't better components to be had out there, but are they $300 dollars better?

I have a sneaking suspision that if I took a regular Joe Oppo player and hooked it up to a decent LCD tv, then hooked up an Oppo player with this 'super clock' installed and switched the playback back and forth between the two, the differences in the picture would be so minute they would be undetectable to the vast majority of viewers, and incredibly hard to distinguish by the few who actually could tell any difference at all. You see when you go over to someone's house who has one of these players and they say, "look at that picture, isn't it incredible"!!! Sure it's easy to think to yourself 'wow, that really is an amazing picture, that super clock is wicked good'... but what you don't know is if you could even tell the difference side by side with a regular Oppo player. Because let's face it, Bluray images are stunning all on their own. But someone telling you it's stunning because of a $300 dollar super clock doesn't make it so.

Yeah monster cable is overpriced BS and isn't that high a caliber cable really. Their LFE cable is total crap and the reason it has a directional arrows is because one end of the cable the ground isn't terminated to the RCA! These facts don't make decent cables BS though. It's obvious crappy interconnects do make a huge difference. Monster capitalizes on that fact and also the ignorance of the public that barely understand how electricity comes outta an electrical outlet. Again this doesn't mean quality interconnects are BS. I've swapped out shit interconnects including Monster cable and have personally heard huge differences. There I go again using superlatives but really their is no other way to describe it. As for where to source decent cable at a decent price... Bluejeans my friend... Bluejeans Cable in the Seattle area!

As for clocks making a difference, tell the pros that use certain EOL world clocks that it doesn't make a difference. I personally know a few engineers that insist on certain clocks like the one Aardvark made some years ago. Those clocks are sold for almost double what the original purchase price was because they are so good and do have an affect on the final cut.

Solid-State

PS I've swapped out the Monster LFE for the Bluejeans Belden LFE and I can tell you right now it make a HUGE difference... HUGE! and that's with an EP500

Last edited by SolidState; 08/20/09 03:30 PM.
SolidState #269906 08/20/09 03:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: SolidState
Hardly, tell that to the famous audio engineers at Abby Road etc that used certain mixing boards and valve EQs etc to produce a certain sonic signature it's BS. One knows what one's ears hear.

I have no doubt that tube/valve equipment has a "sonic signature", the large amount of even-order harmonic distortion present in tubes makes them sound warm or fat. That can be a very pleasing effect if it is what you are looking for.

But adding unintended distortion during playback isn't what I want. My desire is for my chain of gear to impart as little of its own character on the sound as possible. Modern solid state and digital technologies do just that.

The changes these modders make provide nearly immeasurable differences, and certainly inaudible. Again as others have said, I want to see a rigorous, double-blind test performed between a stock and a modded component where one can be identified beyond statistical probability.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #269907 08/20/09 03:39 PM
veteran
veteran
I guess with all that said you guys figure the Oppo transport is the be all end all right? Well you guys are WRONG... What I suggest you do is take your wonderful Oppos to a highend audio shop. Do your own blind tests with a tier one transport (around $1500 and up) and see for your selves. Try both analog and digital connections. Many say digital is digital and unit makes no difference. These are the people I spoke of in the post above that don't understand how electricity comes outta a wall socket. You will soon discover it does make a difference. Again though the law of diminishing returns applies BUT this doesn't mean it won't sound better that's for sure!

Last edited by SolidState; 08/20/09 03:42 PM.
Page 11 of 33 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 32 33

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters