Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Re: Got Coyotes?
RickF #271001 08/28/09 04:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: RickF
The state of Florida has issued 13 permits to hunt and kill Burmese Pythons in the Everglades, seems like the pet snakes that irresponsible owners set free have reached some very huge sizes and now it's time to clean up their mess. The state is actually talking about banning the Burmese Python in Florida ... I wonder if they'll ban crackheads also, that would be the place to start.

I assume you have seen this shocking photo? Snake! If not for the wide reporting and photo I would never have believed it.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #271005 08/28/09 04:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As for the coyote problem, you are entitled to deal with it. If the suburban tricks like a fence or stay in after dark don't work for you, you have the right to discourage their interaction with your family and pets. You can pick up a cheap/used .22 LR rifle for varmint control that won't make your back yard sound like a battle zone but gives you the power to reach out and touch the rascals.

I'm a nature lover too, but growing up in "the sticks" near many wild and domestic animals, you just have to accept the balance of nature now requires human interaction at some level. On the other hand, perhaps this level works best for you:

And heck, who does not like mounting a $12,000 night vision scope on a military grade rifle to...clear the cobwebs from the brain?

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Murph #271007 08/28/09 04:37 PM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Murph

Coyotes will definitely hunt larger prey than their wiki inscriptions might imply and can be a serious pest. Locally, we have had a serious issue with cats, small dogs, old large dogs, sheep, calves, basically anything that two or three of them could drag down.

Farmers have countered by renewing the age old practice of keeping a donkey mixed in with the livestock. Donkeys kick coyote ass, literally. Lamas also became an odd but common sight as they seem to share a donkeys hatred for coyotes. Actually, now you see herds of lamas where before people would stop to take a picture of one.

I haven't owned a gun since high school but there is a continuous bounty on them here and if they keep getting this bold, I might invest in another.

That jives with my experience. There is a retired Police Officer that bought a farm just down the road from where I work. He raised exotic goats, cattle and sheep. To protect his herds he got a couple of Great Pyrenese dogs. Great Pyrenese were originally bred to protect sheep from wolves. He told me that since he got the dogs, he has stopped the coyote predation that was decimating his young animals.......Rob

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Zimm #271008 08/28/09 04:43 PM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Zimm
As for the coyote problem, you are entitled to deal with it. If the suburban tricks like a fence or stay in after dark don't work for you, you have the right to discourage their interaction with your family and pets. You can pick up a cheap/used .22 LR rifle for varmint control that won't make your back yard sound like a battle zone but gives you the power to reach out and touch the rascals.

I'm a nature lover too, but growing up in "the sticks" near many wild and domestic animals, you just have to accept the balance of nature now requires human interaction at some level. On the other hand, perhaps this level works best for you:

And heck, who does not like mounting a $12,000 night vision scope on a military grade rifle to...clear the cobwebs from the brain?

Zim,
I knew I could count on you for a well thought out and considered response. I laughed out loud here at work when I read the "clear the cobwebs from the brain" comment. ALso your comment about "checks and balances" certainly rings true. Deer are overrunning the area of NC where I live. I like to see them as much as the next person, but natural checks and balances are way out of whack and the number of road kills is growing dramatically. Maybe that is part of the "new order checks and balances". I think the same thing is happening with the coyotes.

My father-in-law tells me I need a bolt action. I asked him about a mini-14 - he said he would rather have the accuracy of the bolt action?......

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #271010 08/28/09 05:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Was it Tony sitting in a chair cradling a AK47 in his backyard at night or was it Furio his bodyguard?....anyhoo there was a storyline of a bear roaming their backyard throughout season 5 and this thread reminded me of that. Kind of makes me want to watch that season now. One of the best seasons of Sopranos along with 1 & 2.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Wid #271026 08/28/09 07:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: wid

My brother works for the park district and he has reported seeing what he says is a wolf where he works. Now that's something else.

Here in Illinois? That's interesting because I have met people that *claim* to have seen wolves over by the Pike & Calhoun county areas (north of St. Louis - between the Illinois & Mississippi rivers - very rural area). I don't believe it, but I have met more than one person that has a story about it.

Of course, there are plenty of folks that believe in Bigfoot too. ;\)

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #271027 08/28/09 07:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
There's been the occasional bear sighting around the Toronto/GTA over the last few years with one coming as far down as Hamilton a couple of years back and just North of T.O. in Barrie. I'm near 30 mi NW of Toronto and they have found bear droppings in this area but no sightings. Some cottagers, esp in the Kawartha area out Peterborough way, have reported cougar sitings, can't remember if the gov't was reintroducing them or not, but they had preyed on people's pets according to my neighbour who owns a cottage out that way.

Well, maybe the wildlife is turning the tables....they've decided to encrouch on HUMANS for a change, lol.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #271029 08/28/09 08:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
There are large numbers of coyotes living in the park across the road from my house. I don't see them very often, in fact it's possible that what I am seeing is the occasional wolf (the ones I see seem to be the wrong size and color for coyotes).

If you can keep your pets inside at night that would sure help.

Don't think I would feel comfortable shooting a coyote with a 22LR; that seems too light for a clean kill. The standard coyote rifle seems to start with .22 centerfire, and the most common seems to be .223 assuming there is still any ammo available in North America. A shotgun would be very effective as long as you weren't too far away, so ideal for the ones that get too close and don't seem to be scared away.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #271030 08/28/09 09:23 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
 Quote:
.223 assuming there is still any ammo available in North America

That's no lie. I have a hard time finding 9mm and when I do it's double the price it was last year.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #271062 08/28/09 11:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Was it this year or last when people were stockpiling ammo? are they enforcing new restrictions or something now?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (2x6spds), 880 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup