Re: Can't kill the humming in my sub..help
davew #283297 12/21/09 06:55 PM
I
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I
 Originally Posted By: davew
Could the hum come from a recently installed light dimmer or nearby fluorescent light? Or do you recall this problem starting after getting a new appliance like a refrigerator?

no new appliances but there have been times when the hum went away and turning on a lamp would make it start.

I'm not so sure the filter would work on the cable line...i unplugged the cable from the cable box so there was no connection and the hum didn't change at all.

BlueJays1 #283298 12/21/09 06:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Whenever I had the very same issue that drove me nuts for several days the problem ended up being the whole house grounding rod, specifically the ground wire from the rod to the electrical meter box ... just for grins and giggles I replaced the rod and installed new wire and connectors and made sure the outside cable coax splitter and box was properly grounded, haven't had any issues in the past four years since I did this.

IMO to nip a grounding issue in the bud you need to backtrack from the primary grounding source back to your components and not visa versa.

Rick
Our Room

smile
BlueJays1 #283300 12/21/09 06:58 PM
I
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
Is the subwoofer brand new? How long have you had your entire setup? Have you added any new components or cables to your system? Has the hum always been present?

If you can borrow another sub cable off someone I would also recommend swapping out the Monoprice cable. I have never used a Monoprice sub cable but with other cables I have used from them the build quality can be hit or miss. It is always possible the shielding could be inadequate or the cable defective which is inducing hum. You seemed to have tried everything else.

I'm definately going to try a different sub cable. The system is about 2 years old. I have all axiom speakers and an onkyo 750 reciever. The hum has been off and on always. I have removed and then replaced the ground screw several times. sometimes it works better with it in and sometimes it's better with it out.

the hum has been around off and on for about 6 months. just recently it has been getting louder and louder.

RickF #283301 12/21/09 07:00 PM
I
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Whenever I had the very same issue that drove me nuts for several days the problem ended up being the whole house grounding rod, specifically the ground wire from the rod to the electrical meter box ... just for grins and giggles I replaced the rod and installed new wire and connectors and made sure the outside cable coax splitter and box was properly grounded, haven't had any issues in the past four years since I did this.

IMO to nip a grounding issue in the bud you need to backtrack from the primary grounding source back to your components and not visa versa.

Thanks for that advice...i'm no electrician so i'll have to ask the dumb question here....can i just detach the wire from the ground spike (i do know where it is :P ) and replace it with no risk of death? :P

iammongo #283303 12/21/09 07:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sure can. And whenever you do that, make sure that you have a good contact that is metal to metal, scrape paint to do this if you need to.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #283304 12/21/09 07:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh ... no risk of death, I don't believe. \:\)

Rick
Our Room

smile
iammongo #283305 12/21/09 07:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm not an electrician, but I have an older house that doesn't have all of this, but I'm learning because I've had electricians giving me estimates of what it would take to install a 3 wire (with ground) system in my house, starting with the box. There is currently a ground wire running from the box to the water pipe where it enters the house.

They will have to install a grounding rod from outside to the new box. They also said that there are 2 grounds, the primary ground is the one that runs to the water pipe and the secondary ground is the grounding rod outside.

If you detach the grounding rod ground, at least it isn't the primary ground, but your house is no longer "in code", and you may have other issues, such as insurance waivers that certain surge suppressors provide when the house is properly wired.

CatBrat #283308 12/21/09 07:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm certainly not trying to imply that the grounding rod or any ground connections should ever be taken out, I'm merely saying that the OP may want to inspect and replace any wires that looks questionable and/or tighten any loose connections.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #283314 12/21/09 07:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I misread his comment. I thought he wanted to remove the ground, not just replace the wire. \:\(

CatBrat #283321 12/21/09 07:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
10-4...

I was wondering where you got that idea from but I didn't want to say anything with the holiday spirit and everything going on you know. \:D

Rick
Our Room

smile
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,483
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 446 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup