Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: room correction (Audyssey & Trinnov) with QS4
ClubNeon #288070 01/22/10 03:54 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am not sure why Audyssey does this but here is what the EQ curve looks like if I use the "Copy Audyssey Flat" option for the manual EQ. Curve shown is for the m80's, so you can see why there is a serious lack of bass when the EQ curve is on.

-David
terzaghi #288076 01/22/10 04:36 AM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
Is that for the left or right M80? Is that particular speaker located in/near a corner? Audyssey must be picking up (or think it's picking up) too much base for some reason.

grunt #288077 01/22/10 04:44 AM
shareholder in the making
Dean, I wasn't aware of your high frequency roll-off problem with the Onkyo. Although it's correct that Onkyo doesn't provide a separate manual setting to specifically choose between the "Audyssey" and "Flat" curves, that doesn't mean that it can't be done to suit your preference. This has been discussed in several posts, especially on AVS, and the best summary of the options that I can recall is at p.366 of the "Audyssey" thread here , where Rickard from Stockholm describes his excellent study of the issue. You'd presumably be interested in his "a" and "b" categories which allow selecting the "Flat" curve. For example, for music, DPLIIx THX Music could be used.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

terzaghi #288079 01/22/10 04:57 AM
David, you may be misinterpreting the so-called "copy" feature on the Denon. First, as Dr. Kyriakakis has emphasized, it doesn't in fact copy the many adjustments which Audyssey makes and is just a "crude"(his language)representation at a few specific frequencies. Also, if you're implying that the 63Hz number shown is the actual response at that frequency, that isn't correct; it's the approximate change being made at that frequency, presumably because an elevated room response near that frequency needs to be reduced.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #288088 01/22/10 05:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The only way I know to get a close idea of what audyssey has done is to utilize the copy feature. I read in another thread that the manual EQ (even with the copy feature) does not use all of the audyssey corrections.

With the EQ on, the speakers sound REALLY thin and lacking of bass. I think it is over compensating for some reason and turning things down a little too much.

The EQ curve shown is the one for "fronts" not a specific speaker. The right M80 is a a few feet from a corner and the left m80 is a few feet from the hallway and opening into the kitchen. When viewed separately, both speakers get a similar adjustment as shown above

-David
terzaghi #288101 01/22/10 06:08 AM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
The only way I know to get a close idea of what audyssey has done is to utilize the copy feature. I read in another thread that the manual EQ (even with the copy feature) does not use all of the audyssey corrections.

With the EQ on, the speakers sound REALLY thin and lacking of bass. I think it is over compensating for some reason and turning things down a little too much.

The EQ curve shown is the one for "fronts" not a specific speaker. The right M80 is a a few feet from a corner and the left m80 is a few feet from the hallway and opening into the kitchen. When viewed separately, both speakers get a similar adjustment as shown above

This is using Audyssey or Audyssey Flat (ie. not Audyssey Bypass L/R)? Something's not right then because based on your description of where your mains are located, they should be gettig results that are different not similar.

Also, make sure your receiver has the most current firmware. Updates for my Denon supposedly corrected some Audyssey flaws.

JohnK #288111 01/22/10 08:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Dean, I wasn't aware of your high frequency roll-off problem with the Onkyo. Although it's correct that Onkyo doesn't provide a separate manual setting to specifically choose between the "Audyssey" and "Flat" curves, that doesn't mean that it can't be done to suit your preference. This has been discussed in several posts, especially on AVS, and the best summary of the options that I can recall is at p.366 of the "Audyssey" thread here , where Rickard from Stockholm describes his excellent study of the issue. You'd presumably be interested in his "a" and "b" categories which allow selecting the "Flat" curve. For example, for music, DPLIIx THX Music could be used.

Thanks John, he tried to explain that to me in one of the Onkyo X007 threads at AVS but I he didn’t link to that post and I couldn’t understand what he was trying to get at. If I’m reading that list correctly only the THX modes use the Flat curve which then give the option of using Re-Eq but doesn’t require it. I’ve always been using Cinema, Music and Game up to now which explains why I’m always hearing the roll off of the Audyssey reference curve.

I’ll give those a try this weekend after I rerun the calibration since I just put up my curtains which I’m sure completely destroyed the curve Audyssey already calculated.

I will have to ask him if the flat curve also applies to DPLIIz THX which would make sense if it applies to DPLIIx THX.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Ya_basta #288141 01/22/10 05:01 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Thanks guys. I took a look at the manual on my computer, and surprise surprise, I couldn't find anything illustrating how to choose different curves.

Cam –

Copying curves is slightly misleading. From my understanding, if you copy the curve and make manual changes, you cripple Audyssey. In effect, you remove all the filters and are basically using the manual EQ function. I’ll let someone else who understands this program better than go into further detail.

I have had good luck with Audyssey. I prefer it on.

I would also add that all receiver based Audyssey programs are drastically scaled down versions of their stand alone system. Receivers just don’t have the processing horse power required to run the full blown program. It’s almost like taking a knife to a gun fight. You can only do so much with the knife.

michael_d #288148 01/22/10 05:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks, I don't know any of the steps, i.e. copying curves to change them to flat etc.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #288153 01/22/10 05:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I may have done things wrong as well but I can say that in my particular room, the results sound much closer to those described by some as 'thin'. I hate fluffy words for describing sound but that one comes the closest in my mind. I am much happier not using it.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters