Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Amplifier for M22ti
#2920 03/13/03 10:49 AM
A
regular
regular
A
I would also be really interested in pairing a power amp with an Electronic Tonalities Foreplay amp.

Are there any decent offerings in the $300 price range? I was considering pairing a Cambridge Audio P500.

I listen to some electronic music, which may not sound really good with a tube amp. However, I notice that both the Axioms and Paradigms are a little bright, so a preamp like the Foreplay would do a nice job of smoothing the sound out a bit, giving me a nice smoothness and clairty.

I did see a really beautiful rebuilt ST-70 on audiogon selling for $599, however, this is a bit beyond my price range.

In a tube offering however, how do Axioms compare to a good pair of horns, like the omega TS3's or TS2's?

#2921 03/28/03 12:05 PM
Hi. I've been considering selling my 3-year-old NAD 317. It's a wonderful integrated amp, using the highly acclaimed NAD 214 as its amplification stage (you can add another 214 -- sometimes can be found for sale on eBay or Audiogon) for a perfectly matched pair of monos or for bi-amping should you ever updgrade speakers. And despite what some will tell you, my opinion is that there is a HUGE difference between the sound quality of this piece (like most good two-channel equipment) and mass-market recievers, even from the better brands. E-mail an expert reviewer and pose that question (you'd be surprised how often they answer -- that's how I found out about Axioms, which I'm considering buying), or simply talk to a trusted friend who knows audio. The imaging, soundstage and warmth of this amp bely it being a solid-stater. It's rated (very conservatively) at 80wpc @ 8 ohms but can easily handle 2-ohm loads with massive peak wattages. It's a beast with beautiful sound and expensive, high-quality components throughout.
I've saved up enough to go for some maxed-out, high-dollar separates, I don't have space for two systems and I can't bear to let this thing sit in a closet, so if you're interested in a bargain, talk to me. I'm sure I'll let it go for below $400 (it's in perfect condition, as is remote, etc.). It cost $800 new. Check various reviews online to get a feel for it. My personal view is that it's been for years one of the best bargains in audio. It was just recently replaced with the NAD 370, which is quite comparable. Its sound has been nothing but perfect since Day 1, and honestly, I think it keeps sounding better -- probably because it has relatively few hours on it for a 3-year-old piece and has just really come into its own. One more thing, the 317 has that very proper British sound -- very warm and neutral in mids and highs, so it shouldn't present listener-fatigue problems some people have expressed with certain Axioms.
Best of luck whatever you decide.
Regards,
John in California.

#2922 04/06/03 12:06 AM
C
regular
regular
C
I am enjoying my M22ti with a pair of Antique Sound Lab Wave 8 tube monoblocks - they sell for about $375 a pair. They put out about 8 to 10 watts, and work very well with the M22ti because they are efficient speakers. My listening room is 20 X 14 X 8 and their is plenty of volume - unless you plan on holding a rave, I'd recommend ASL Wave 8s - Chr3is

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters