Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Best way to run two channels off one pre-out?
michael_d #297817 03/22/10 02:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi michael_d,

I don't think JohnK was being condescending; he was just differentiating between the two so as to be entirely clear.

It isn't a dumb idea to split the voltages from one pre-out, sending them to two separate amplifiers. It just lowers the output voltage to each but if there's enough gain in the preamp stage for the single pre-out, you should be able to compensate.

As to summing two pre-outs with a Y-connector, I get lots of private emails from customers who propose to do just that, and, as JohnK explained, it's not a good idea and likely to result in circuit damage.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #297821 03/22/10 04:23 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
 Originally Posted By: alan
Hi michael_d,

I don't think JohnK was being condescending; he was just differentiating between the two so as to be entirely clear.

It isn't a dumb idea to split the voltages from one pre-out, sending them to two separate amplifiers. It just lowers the output voltage to each but if there's enough gain in the preamp stage for the single pre-out, you should be able to compensate.

As to summing two pre-outs with a Y-connector, I get lots of private emails from customers who propose to do just that, and, as JohnK explained, it's not a good idea and likely to result in circuit damage.

Regards,
Alan

I have tried the latter(two in to one). As Alan stated, not a good idea and notwithstanding the possible circuit damage issues, it significantly cuts the volume to each speaker. It is OK, though, to run the Y-connector out of the pre-amp but to TWO connections on the amp so each speaker can have its own hook-up. I have tried it this way BUT it will provide MORE volume with the two combined than the one speaker on its own so the question is if you still wish the third speaker in the chain(however it is connected), it will be very difficult to balance the volume with the other two.

JohnK #297840 03/22/10 06:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
So yes, Mike; no one has ever done that before. Your success with the experiment will assure your undying fame in the annals of Axiom.

Ooooh! Undying fame. I'm tempted to buy an old receiver just for the occasion. ;\)

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #297843 03/22/10 06:19 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I used to split the outs of my preamps to be able to run a powered sub long before a pre came with two sets of outputs. Worked just fine.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

michael_d #297951 03/23/10 01:50 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Mike, I usually wouldn't take the time to reply to someone incensed over a slight to them that didn't actually occur, but I'm surprised that after all this time you don't know me better than that. What was intended in that second paragraph was humor, not condescension. It was simply a playful follow-up on your thought that your proposal was something that had never been done before in combining Axiom speakers(not even by Jay and Mojo!).

As to the actual point involving the splitting of one output or combining two outputs with a Y, as Alan pointed out, the combining has been the subject of questions to him. Also, I can recall at least two occasions on the forum when Rick Widner and I cautioned someone about this, and so I thought this might have been the previous discussion about Y-connectors that you were referring to.

Since you were actually referring to someone elsewhere who had the notion that even splitting a single output with a Y was a bad idea, the comment first would be that it's been done probably millions of times with no problems when wired correctly. Splitting the output in this way creates a parallel circuit with the two input resistances. A relatively simple discussion(no condescension implied by that description)of the results can be found here . Note that a parallel circuit isn't a "voltage divider"(that's what a series circuit is)and as illustrated in fig.3-38, each input receives the same voltage as the source outputs. There's no apparent factual support for the concern of this other poster and you can proceed with confidence.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #297959 03/23/10 02:16 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
John… That’s why I asked. I must have been overly sensitive this morning. For some reason, (which is not real clear to me now) when I read your response it just hit a nerve and it felt like you poking fun at me. I read it a few more times and it kept stringing the nerve. You’ve never been anything but nice to me before, so it really took me by surprise. After reading it again now, I think I just read too much into what you wrote and was being a pussy. Sorry about that and thanks for the clarification. I ordered a VP150 today. I’ll post my impressions after I’m done screwing around with things.

michael_d #297960 03/23/10 02:20 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

When you get tired of the VP 150 send it down my way. Heck Mikey I'll even pay shipping \:\)

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #297961 03/23/10 02:23 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
You may change your mind when you find out how much shipping is from my house..... Ricky. \:\)

michael_d #297962 03/23/10 02:24 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

So I've heard \:\)

Rick

Wid #298813 03/27/10 06:44 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
One more question. What does a person do if one of the center channels is a bit louder than the other, but they are both being driven off the same pre-amp out put? Some sort of in line resister to lower the voltage to one of the amps?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,122 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup