Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Silly Bass thread
#29884 01/06/04 08:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Chess....to quote Dennis Hopper: "Take it easy maaaaan."

I know repeating answers drives you a bit nutty. If you've answered it before...skip on to the next thread. Someone else will answer him.

#29885 01/06/04 01:35 PM
veteran
veteran
For chesseroo and others posting like him in this thread,

You need to understand this is a forum, and what a forum is for.

This forum is used to find the information a person is seeking, it is another option to find answers like searching on google is.

If someone wants to find the information by scouring over articles, then they will. They also might not exactly understand what those articles are saying, BTW.

If they want to ask specific questions, and gets those answers from someone, they will post in a forum.

Deal with it, or do not respond. It gets old constantly reading 'seach for it yourself,' which is more annoying than the same question being asked over and over.

#29886 01/06/04 03:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Normally I would agree JimmyTango, but reading/starting 7 new threads in 5 days is like sitting a table listening to one woman yap about every and any topic under the sun, throwing out queries left and right like a young child asking why the sky is blue and grass is green.

If there is a reasonable question one does not know, people usually look for an answer first before asking. That is not an unreasonable thing to ask for. If they do not look for an answer first, then you know the following question out of their mouths will be yet another question on the same subject with a short extension that may have been answered if they found information regarding the first question.
As a person who has tutored and taught at the university level it drives me nuts when people don't even try to think for themselves first, and if I recall correctly, Hawkson is located at U. of Illinois. Perhaps I was mistaken in thinking he was a well educated student who should be used to learning somewhat more independently now and again.
Leave the thousand and one daily questions for the real newbies who truly need help finding information. That's all i'm getting at.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#29887 01/06/04 03:59 PM
veteran
veteran
Hawkson, I think you'll find this article on crossover ranges very interesting. Without prescribing what everyone SHOULD do, it makes a good case for the benefits of using a high-pass crossover, even if you have large bass capable mains. Before reading the article I thought this was a silly idea (despite some good people advocating it on this forum) but I've since tried it and like it.

Another article Florian wrote on the LFE Channel, explaining its history and technical background, is also pretty illuminating, though it's more in the way of background and does not directly address your crossover question. Both of these articles made me feel better about the irritatingly high fixed crossover (90 Hz) on my four-year-old Yamaha receiver. I could explain why, but you're better off reading his complete explanation, which goes into the technical details of "large" and "small" speaker settings, the rationale behind Dolby's numbers, and why you are not necessarily wasting the full range of your floorstanders if you set them to small or use a relatively high crossover. I experimented this morning with his ideas on my M60s and have to admit that set to "small" with my fixed 90 Hz crossover in action (which I would set to 80 if I had a variable LFE on the receiver), the M60s sounded cleaner, more open and accurate on Yo-Yo Ma playing Haydn than in my previous settings -- which include trying the passage with no sub. I'll try some films tonight after work. Before reading the article I was trying the "both" setting for bass management, but was not satisfied, because short of setting the crossover ridiculously low around 40 Hz or so I was getting overlapping bass between the M60s and my STF-2. Now I'm trying a sub-only bass management setting with the mains set to small.

Enjoyed your question, and please continue to "yap" away regardless of Chesseroo's ill humors (which I also enjoy ... who wants a forum of only bland people without opinions?).

"These go to eleven."
#29888 01/06/04 05:48 PM
veteran
veteran
"Perhaps I was mistaken in thinking he was a well educated student who should be used to learning somewhat more independently now and again."

I would think a 'well educated' person would know they do not even have to read the post after seeing the topic header.

"If there is a reasonable question one does not know, people usually look for an answer first before asking."

A well educated person should know that looking for an answer includes asking for help. It is not just 'look it up.' It is called a community. You are part of it, like it or not.

I would have hated to be one of your students while you taught in college. Most likely the 'tell them, they do the rest' type of teacher. Basicly, one of the bad areas of our education system; teachers that do not teach, only talk.

#29889 01/06/04 06:14 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
yowch! Now that we've all found each others' buttons, let's not push them...

#29890 01/06/04 06:15 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I'll quote Frank Costanza (Jerry Stiller's character on Seinfeld) with a "Serenity Now!"

Bren R.

#29891 01/06/04 06:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've heard "crankypantsitis" has been going around. A couple people in my office got it last week. Dress warm, drink lots of fluids, load up on the vitamin C, and start taking your zinc tabs, you don't want to catch it too!

#29892 01/06/04 09:00 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
to start off, my personal opinion of Cheseroo is that he is an intelligent poster who provides useful information in difficult technical threads. He is also good at providing information in threads concerning high end and obscure audio gear.

Other then that your posts are useless. In other posts where people are asking for simple advice you offer them nothing but a hard time. When someone asks a silly question (see title of thread) you take it upon yourself to make them know that they asked a silly question.

If you think you are an elitist, if you think you are above everyone, if you think your every word is more precious then mine, dont come into my threads. My threads are simple and easy to answer threads. My replies are like that too. I help out in the newbie threads, giving people their first start into the world of audio. Most people appreciate it when their threads are answered, no matter how many times it has been answered before. Getting a curt reply is not the greatest feeling. Especially not to some newbie who has no idea your not just an [censored], but in fact you are much deeper then that.

I try to help out in the same manner as i was helped out. I learned a great deal of information about the HK 525 on this board(thanks Kcarlile). When someone has a question about the HK 525, i am one of the first to answer. The question may have been answered before, but often times a newbie does not know where to look.

For example, when i posted this thread, i had a feeling there was a mathematical way to discern how many octaves there are in the 20-80hz range. I figured there would be someone who wanted to offere a short, helpful reply as to what the answer was. How would you feel if the next time you asked a question, the first response you got was "Find out for yourself."

Anyways, if you do not like reading my threads, do not answer them.

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
#29893 01/06/04 10:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
JimmyTango,
I think you have alot to learn about teaching those who are not first graders.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020