Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Looking for some feedback on HT room design.
bridgman #299325 03/30/10 05:03 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ok Ben, I don't expect you will go with my suggestion, but I'm going to throw it out there at you anyway... If it were my basement (this is a basement, right?), I would flip your HT wide sketch around, and build a wall across that recessed area, which in effect would make that a rectangular room. I would install a door to the new closet (I'll call it your AV closet) space down at the end (right side) of the wall in the corner, unless that is a door down at the bottom and to the left in your sketch. If so, then that would be perfect, no need for a door built into the new wall at all. With that small section now walled off, you can run all of your electronic wires and everything in there. Stick all of your AV gear in there, plus keep all of your movies, CD's and all kinds of other stuff that usually clutters up a room, neatly away in that little AV closet hidden away from view. It really cleans up a room, let me tell ya.

To see an example (sort of) of what I'm talking about, just skim through my thread (The World's Newest Axiomite it Born...) to see the pictures I posted up of the AV closet I built for my HT. I built a couple of shelves (1 above, and 1 below the TV) to house my computers, reciever, DVD player, amp, external hard drives, and wireless modem in. All wires run through holes cut neatly behind the TV, and right into the backs of the AV gear mentioned. Absolutely no wires can be seen besides the 12 guage wires running from the back of my M80's into the AV closet. Super clean look, you'd love it!

So after you build that wall, that's where I'd hang your TV, or screen if you're considering going with a projector. As well as hang your M3's (I think you're the first member of this forum that I've seen with M3's), and VP150.

Ok, so that is my suggestion. And like I said, I don't really expect you'll do this. But it truely is what I would do if that were my basement (damn I wish I had a basement). Because I think it would be completely fabulous! \:D

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
bridgman #299326 03/30/10 05:04 AM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Ben, I don't have any worthwhile seating suggestions, but I'd like to congratulate you and your wife on the two new additions to the family

Thank you very much \:D

Originally Posted By: bridgman
I was going to say... twin baby girls *and* a new HT, it doesn't get much better than that ;\)

The girls are great fun. Can't wait to raise up right with a proper HT \:D

Originally Posted By: bridgman
I tried a few additional configurations including various angled arrangements, and the best I could come up with was your "HT Wide" layout flipped vertically, assuming the main entrance is the in-swinging door at the bottom center.

That would make access to the sets a lot easier.

You mean with the TV on the bottom instead of the top? I kinda like the entry being behind everything so people moving around won't distract the folks watching the TV. I'm just hoping to leave about a foot on each side of the seating. Should be good enough to walk around to the seats.

I'll have to do some more looking at regular recliners and love seats too. Maybe I could come up with a 7 seat configuration using that stuff.

INANE #299388 03/30/10 04:03 PM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
http://www.hometheaterseating.com/home-t...aterlounger.cfm

I haven't done the math/measurements of what exactly the width would be stacking 8 of those in an arch yet. But I wonder if doing something like that would be my best option, in the wide or narrow layout. Wouldn't be the end of the world if they weren't attached to each other.

INANE #340279 02/27/11 05:55 AM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thought I would update the thread with my (slow) progress on the basement/HT remodel.

Here is the full album full album if you're interested.

INANE #340280 02/27/11 06:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No way I would be ambitious enough to do all that myself, way to lazy. Hell ask Sean I still haven’t finished painting putting in new carpet or even mounting my surround and back speakers (still sitting on their stands on top of boxes). I hit the comfort zone and sort of lost interest in the last little bit.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #340293 02/27/11 03:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
What are those 1st 2 layers you have on the floor?

Maybe I should say the bottommost 2 layers.

Last edited by CatBrat; 02/27/11 03:12 PM.
CatBrat #340302 02/27/11 06:42 PM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
My brother in law is helping me do most of the work. He's very knowledgeable on building. So it's not like I'm doing it all by myself.

I put in a sub floor using Delta-FL and OSB. Total cost was right around $1 per sq ft. I did this mostly for the acoustical benefits of having a wood floor but also as a vapor barrier and insulation. Later on I need to go back and put a few more screws in the floor to get rid of a little rattling sound as you walk over it in certain places. But other than that I love the results. No more walking on a cold and HARD concrete floor.

INANE #340356 02/28/11 05:10 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Now it is just a softer cold wood floor wink

The wood floor is still the same temp as the concrete floor/ambient air temp, but I will agree that it doesn't seem to feel the same, especially once you stop moving around and stand still. I tried a few sections of the stuff in my house and used my trusty non-contact thermometer to measure the temps of the concrete floor vs the wood subfloor and there was no difference.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #340358 02/28/11 05:25 AM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I have a thermometer on the wall in the basement and noticed the temp of the room would be a couple degrees higher on average after I was done installing the sub floor.

I would think having that trapped air pocket between the cement and the wood is similar to how a double paned window works (other than the window being filed with a gas other than regular air).

The wood floor can't transfer heat as quickly as cement either, which is why it should feel warmer than just standing on the cement directly.

Plus the Delta-FL is acting like a vapor barrier which is never a bad thing to have in a finished basement.

What is not debatable is how much better the wood floor feels than standing on cement. laugh I'm also hopeful that I'll get a fuller bass response with this sub floor in place vs just having a carpeted cement floor.

INANE #340364 02/28/11 06:12 AM
J
J
Originally Posted By: INANE
I have a thermometer on the wall in the basement and noticed the temp of the room would be a couple degrees higher on average after I was done installing the sub floor.
Which should happen once the concrete floor is covered up regardless of the product as long as there was some sort of thermal break, ie. that air gap or carpet underlay etc., involved.

Quote:
I would think having that trapped air pocket between the cement and the wood is similar to how a double paned window works (other than the window being filed with a gas other than regular air).
That is the idea behind it smile

Quote:
The wood floor can't transfer heat as quickly as cement either, which is why it should feel warmer than just standing on the cement directly.
Exactly

Quote:
Plus the Delta-FL is acting like a vapor barrier which is never a bad thing to have in a finished basement.
SOOO true smile

Quote:
What is not debatable is how much better the wood floor feels than standing on cement. laugh
I agree

Quote:
I'm also hopeful that I'll get a fuller bass response with this sub floor in place vs just having a carpeted cement floor.
Quite possibly, you will have to let us know on this one.

BTW, never mind my rantings, I am just having a hard time trying to justify this expense for my own basement which for me isn't $1 sqft up here, it is closer to $2.50 sqft, I think if it fell into the $1 range I wouldn't think about about it at all and just go ahead with it.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics