Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Axioms with my "poor" Sony receiver?
#30709 01/13/04 06:49 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
I have posted questions regarding my Home Theater setup on other forums and most people tell me that my Sony str-de845 receiver is a piece of crap. It sounds ok to me and I like the features of it, but maybe I just don't know any better.

I only have about $1200 to spend and I wanted to upgrade my setup with the m22ti for the fronts, vp100 center, and the qs4 surrounds. I was also hoping to get a new HSU sub.

Will my sony receiver really hold these speakers back? Am I better off getting a new receiver and just one or two of the speakers to start and then add on as I can afford it?

I currently have Advent Laureate towers for the front with a 1" tweeter and 2 5 1/4" woofers and an advent center with a 1" tweeter and 2 4" woofers. I also have a AR sub and some crappy KLHs for surround.

Re: Axioms with my "poor" Sony receiver?
#30710 01/13/04 08:07 PM
shareholder in the making
Do the speakers first. Don't worry about the Sony; as long as it functions, you'll be fine. When you have the money later, then upgrade it. Remember, the speakers make the most difference in sound. Some around here even say that any modern solid state receiver (that's not a complete piece of junk) is totally transparent.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#30711 01/13/04 08:20 PM
To tivofish,

Hello, I was in your boat about 2 months back, I had a Sony DE845 receiver with a set of JBL N series speakers for my 5.1 setup. I got the upgrade bug, and have since acquired a pair of Axiom M22ti, VP150, and a SVS sub, as well as a NAD T762 receiver.

Let me explain why I chose those pieces:

1. I chose the Axioms for their great reputation on the web. I wanted the VP150 because I use my home theater mostly for movies and other DVDs. I chose the M22s because of space constraints, and I didn't get any QS surrounds yet because I haven't figured out how to mount them yet.

2. I wouldn't call the Sony receiver "a piece of crap", it had a lot of great features and power for its price when I picked it up 3+ years ago. But, with my somewhat inefficient JBLs (89db), it was always on the verge of distorting or running out of power, even in my small (12x12x8) living room. Don't believe the 5x100W power rating, the receiver only has a 220W power supply, that should tell you something. The Sony also didn't have component video support, which I needed to take advantage of progressive scan dvd support. Finally, since I was set in my speakers choices, and the VP150 required 6ohm support, the Sony couldn't support it for the center channel.

So, those were the main reasons I upgraded my receiver. I never got a chance to do a A/B comparison with the 2 receivers and the same set of speakers. So, take my advice with a pinch of salt.

Yes, I think the Sony will not allow the Axiom speakers to reach their full potential. However, that has more to do with the great potential of these speakers; I think they wouldn't reach their limit till you get into the realm of pricey separates. So, if the Sony sounds fine to you, then you can probably leave it alone for now. I felt the need to upgrade mainly for more features. If your budget is pretty tight, then go with the speakers first, and save up for a good receiver, the Axioms will do justice to some very pricey components.

Keyang

PS, after some time with my new system, there is 1 new feature that I have come to really appreciate that the Sony didn't have, Dolby Prologic II. It does wonders for normal televsion broadcasts and some of my video games.

#30712 01/13/04 08:23 PM
I still stand by my statement. If you have a fixed budget, don't sacrifice on the speakers in order to buy a receiver. However, the clipping would make me a bit nervous. (see other threads). Maybe a better answer would be to get the M22s and a receiver now, and get the rest later.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#30713 01/13/04 08:27 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Don't worry. I have a Sony STR-DE825, which in some opinions must amount to a "pail of pig-vomit" compared to your "piece of crap." My M60s sound great through it, and I still like the features. So, I plan to hang on to it until it dies.

Do the speakers first and see what you think. My bet is you'll love the way they sound and might consider hanging on to the receiver for a while (since you like it now). I doubt you'll be chomping at the bit to upgrade the receiver after hearing the speakers.

-------------------------------------------------
M60s, VP150 and QS8s (2)