#311302 06/23/10 03:33 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur

Everyone,

It is a very exciting day at Axiom today. Over the past few years we have been working on a number of major improvements to our entire line. Today we will officially launch Version 3 on our website.

Version 3 brings some major improvements to the sound quality of every model along with some pretty cool cosmetic changes. The changes that affect the performance of the products began being incorporated about one year ago (longer for some of the woofers) and were completed on all models a few months ago. As of a few weeks ago the cosmetic changes were incorporated into our manufacturing and today our website will change to reflect these changes.

The main cosmetic changes are the aluminum dust caps, which are now made from the same material as our cones, and the elimination of the grille pins with the introduction of magnet grilles. It should be noted that the in-wall products will remain with grille pins as the female grille pin in the baffle is the access point for the screws which control the swing arms to mount these products to your wall.

As for changes to the performance we have redesigned our tweeter, all of our crossovers, and most of our woofers. I think the best way to describe the difference in performance may be to simply quote from an e-mail I received from a customer who has moved from Version 2 to Version 3 M80s.

Quote:
“The changes that you've made to the M80s are not subtle. It is that different! The first thing that I noticed was that the sound stage increased, dramatically. I describe it now as voluminous, wide and deep but at the same time, minutely precise. It's like the curtains were pulled back away from the stage. The sound field increased in all dimensions. I especially hear a lot more spatial depth. It's much easier to locate the position of performers in the sound field. The sound is especially seductive. It wraps around you.

The sound seems much more uniform over all frequencies. These speakers are so musical; I feel it necessary to make an analogy to the operatic voice. In vocal study, one strives to even out the registers in a voice so that a singer's sound is seamless throughout the entire range (so no one can detect a break when going from chest to head voice, etc). This is how I feel about these speakers. My impression is that you've particularly smoothed out the transition between the mid range and highs.

I am particularly blown away by the high end of these speakers. There's a new precision and GREATLY increased detail in the sound. In playing a stringed instrument (I've studied the 'cello), we pay attention to the 'core' sound of the strings making sure that when we bow the instrument, we always 'dig in' to the string adequately in order to make sure that the 'core' of the sound is always there. It is especially essential when playing something very softly. This is how emotion is subtly conveyed through sound. I'm hearing the 'core' of the sound with all music through this system like never before. Solo instruments and voices sound live, with minute detail in the sound. I can hear this will all instruments. In particular, operatic singers' voices now blossom as they sing a high loud passage. It takes my breath away! You have blown the top off the ceiling of these speakers. I listened to a lot of music louder than one probably should and the sound was not fatiguing. There's so much space around the upper frequencies. While I'm not even remotely a sound engineer, it seems to me that the proper way to 'warm up' sound in the upper frequencies is to add space around it (this is what my voice teachers said about proper vocal production) not 'soften' it by 'rounding off' or 'decreasing the treble'. That would rob you of reality. Additionally, there's a nice big fat, spacious area in the mids. Also of note are trumpets and brass. Rather than going 'ouch' on a loud passage, you get chills. Again, 'expansive' comes to mind.

Ian. I want to thank you for allowing me the privilege to experience this. You've created some real magic with these speakers. As I said at the beginning of this note, you have made a MAJOR change to the M80s with these modifications and it's THRILLING!!!! Many, many kudos to you and your staff at Axiom.”

It is very fitting that the release of Version 3 coincides with our 30th year in business. They are both big milestones in Axiom history.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Re: Version 3
Ian #311310 06/23/10 04:04 PM
S
local
local
S
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I only just bought my M22s and QS8s in February! Does this mean I have to upgrade?! Hmm... lets look into the upgrade program...

At the very least I now have to change my sig line to specify v2.

/facepalm

snazzed

M22, VP150, QS8 <--all v2
Sub: Outlaw LFM1-Plus
Denon AVR1910, Sony X900-65"
snazzed #311312 06/23/10 04:10 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur

Snazzed,

If you e-mail your Model and Serial Number to noreen@axiomaudio.com she can tell you if you have all the latest Version 3 performance mods.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Ian #311314 06/23/10 04:29 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
Outstanding! Can't wait to get my v3's \:\)

#311318 06/23/10 04:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Do the crossover changes coincide with different XO points being used on the V3 models?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #311321 06/23/10 04:47 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Gonna be a lot of ti's and V2's at auction.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Ian #311322 06/23/10 04:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Very cool Ian. I'll be sure to give the new M80 a careful listen when I am up there in September.

Did you update the anechoic measurements as well?

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #311324 06/23/10 04:53 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Very cool Ian. I'll be sure to give the new M80 a careful listen when I am up there in September.

Did you update the anechoic measurements as well?

Great point, I would love to see a new FR graph for the M80 v3.

#311329 06/23/10 05:27 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Was there ever a version 2 of the M60 In-Cabinet speakers? My reciept of a couple weeks ago says T60 with no verison number

The mids and woofers have the black dust caps, but I know the in-cabinets are a new design, so I'm wondering if I got older components, perhaps in an experimental model..?

Last edited by axiomoholic; 06/23/10 05:37 PM.
axiomoholic #311331 06/23/10 05:32 PM
devotee
devotee
Glad I bought my speakers yesterday, so I will be getting version 3. Thank God!

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 51 52

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters