Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
Re: 2 Grand total
SirQuack #315358 07/18/10 09:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Dearest Wid,

As I sit here this afternoon, I am listening to Jimi's sweet guitars mellow joy over my ears. As sung by my beloved axioms.

So I just came back and visited the Axiom Forums as a way to invigorate my boyish nostalgia of the great times I have had with these guys. Then I read your thread.

Funny, I have the exact same set up as the one you originally proposed. M22's, VP100, QS4's, STF-2 and all. The receiver is different, but it's just all just a black box anyways.

The HSU STF-2. Ahh. This thing has served me well. Loud, proud, just awesome. Everyone thinks it's some weird mini fridge at first. It acts as an under the desk footspace hog but also a nifty munchies desk and footrest. Doesn't work too well if food is already ON the "desk" when you use it as a footrest. Had that happen a few times. One day when moving I popped in the dust cap. Sad day. The dust cap un-popping surgery was successful, however.

The QS4's are a pretty good choice. For me, I could throw one in my backpack when moving into my dorm. They could be dropped once or twice (after being improperly held as a football) and still work well. They can donate organs (such as tweeters) to other speakers and still spray wonderful surround all over your room. But, I don't sense those things as being relevant here. In my heads-up comparison with my dad's QS8's and the QS4's, it's pretty obvious. QS8's are just WAY clearer. A shame, but the truth. However, the QS4's look like the most bitchin' pieces of sound equipment ever when the grills are taken off. They just look MEAN. So for that reason, I wouldn't stray from that choice. Get the QS4's.

The VP100. This thing is clear as day. It makes sense, because it is a M22, just sideways and a little confused. No brainer here. There are little circles of gook where the tiny silicone feet used to be on the bottom. That's my only complaint.

The M22's are a fabulous choice. I also made the choice of affixing the large QS wall bumpers to the bottom of the M22's. Lovely lady in axiom support sent them to me for free. These speakers are loud, clear, and pelt out tunes like it's nobody's business. In my regret, I tried to consider other floorstanders and bookshelves, but in the apple of my eye, the M22's were there. Man, we've been through a lot.

The whole darn system has been through a lot. Into dorm rooms and out (x4), into apartements and my home and now in Florida. Needless to say the cardboard Axiom speaker boxes are held together by duct tape.

They've hosted beer pizza parties, failed second dates, mental trips to the end of the universe and back, late night jam outs, Boondock Saints drinking nights, nights where the housing director calls and asks if you felt the apartment rumbling last night (wasn't me!?!), and pretty much my whole life. Wow.

The bolts holding the woofers and tweeters are starting to rust. I can't take on or off the grills without the rubber grommets coming out of the speaker housing in an odd, gooey clump. There's a finger nail indent on one of the woofers when I got too curious. One of my M22 tweeters fizzled and died (donated from QS4 then free replacement from axiom laugh ). Once, I dropped my entire metal loft on top of my left M22 freshman year. Has a pretty ugly gash on the top of it. What a story these friends tell.

Soon they may take a permanent trip with me out West. I've got duct tape in hand.

Point is that my Axiom setup has been there in my life and in my memories. Who'd want to pass up on that?

But I hear you're reconsidering?!

I was going to say a little speech starting with, "So wid, don't just do it for me. Do it for you. And...". Somewhere I'd incorporate "Axiom Spirit".

But really, the Axiom Spirit is about helping each other in a weird sort of family, all about...speakers. Odd. I guess that's why I popped in to say hello.

It really doesn't matter what the brand is, it's the music, movies, and people you enjoy with them.

If a brand switch is needed, I've personally heard from one person that they are happy with their Ascends. They are a great value!

You could always drop the VP100 and do a 4 channel Axiom system (everyone would pretend to be happier with your decision then).

Hope you can put a system together that will create some memories, much like I've had.

Goodbye and Goodnight. Hope everyone is doing well.

- Dan

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #315363 07/18/10 09:49 PM
shareholder in the making
Welcome back, Dan! Stay awhile.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
danmagicman7 #315365 07/18/10 09:53 PM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W

Nice hearing from ya Dan. I went over to her apartment to see how things would fit, the QS4s are out of the question. They don't want to hang any speakers on the wall and the QS stands are stupid expensive. So now I'm thinking of the M22s, VP100 and the M2s for surrounds. I was thinking of 4 M3s but after talking to Ed, he thought the clarity of the M22s would serve her better than the M3s, sounds good to me.

So this is looking like the leader of the pack so far. Not sure on the sub yet. Looking at the Hsu and eD right now. I guess I should consider SVS also.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Ken.C #315366 07/18/10 09:59 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Good to see you, Dan.

Quote:
The CMB-170 is extremely neutral moreso than the M22

The Ascends get good reviews, as do the M22.

Have you heard both?

How exactly are you quantifying "neutral"?

How do those graphs SOUND anyway?

I perceive many negative absolutes among your posts regarding Axiom products. Nobody thinks Axiom is the be-all, end-all, but it would be refreshing to see you throw "I think..." or "IMO" in there once in a while, or cite your sources, or explain your experiences rather than just assert "is" repeatedly.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #315370 07/18/10 10:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Good to see you, Dan.

Quote:
The CMB-170 is extremely neutral moreso than the M22

The Ascends get good reviews, as do the M22.

Have you heard both?

How exactly are you quantifying "neutral"?

How do those graphs SOUND anyway?

I perceive many negative absolutes among your posts regarding Axiom products. Nobody thinks Axiom is the be-all, end-all, but it would be refreshing to see you throw "I think..." or "IMO" in there once in a while, or cite your sources, or explain your experiences rather than just assert "is" repeatedly.

I am speaking from an objective standpoint so it is not appropriate to state IMO. Here are the graphs and plots I am talking about below. The 3rd party measurements for the CBM-170 that were measured by the National Research Council are in my above post. You can compare those to the 3rd party measurements of the M22 conducted by the NRC and published by soundstage as well. This is how you can quantify "neutral" with on and off axis measurements as well as waterfall plots.

Measurements below.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170meas.html

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/ascend_cbm170/

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/axiom_m22ti_se/

This is the frequency response of the M22 V3 that is supplied on the website.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/gallery_m22ti_diagram.html

I am not saying the M22 is worse. You seem to be making false accusations. Conveniently you take a portion of my post and quote it out of context. Shame on you. I also recommend the QS4 as the surround speakers if he choose that route. Somebody asked for an opinion and help on a purchasing decision on another manufacturer and I gave him some advice. I am not blinded by absolute fanboyism. If that makes you angry well I can't help that. In the end its subjective to the end user. Objectively, the 170 is the more neutral loudspeaker. Some people might not prefer a neutral speaker but it is the best starting point and that is the strongest aspect of Ascend speakers.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #315374 07/18/10 10:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I remember getting caught in the middle of a piddling match over these speakers vs the M22.

The gentleman who was a proponent of the Ascends touted their flat response and said despariging things about the M22. Along comes someone else, who apparently saw something in the graphs and pointed out that he saw significant issues in the Ascend speaker: distortion and some crossover issues.

The point(s)? You can tell a lot from speaker measurements... IF you know what you are looking at. These are old measurements and I bet that Ascend has improved their speakers just as Axiom has. They are porbably similarly good to the M22.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #315378 07/18/10 10:47 PM
The Ascends and the M22s have long been thought to be on the same plane. I remember when we had a big Ascend guy on the forums. He was great.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #315381 07/18/10 11:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Here are some other 3rd party analysis for the CBM-170 (non professional review). I can't find any for the M22 (non review) except those from that snowboarding guy which I wont even bother posting because I find it to be a conflict of interest because it was a competitor that was doing the measurements.

http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/other/ascend_cbm170se/

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #315385 07/19/10 12:47 AM
I'll just say "hi" to Dan.

Come around once in awhile, will 'ya? Did you see that we're having a get-together in September?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #315400 07/19/10 01:42 AM
J
J
After Dean's review of the M2's being similarily good as the M22, I would suggest M2's all around even for a center if she can fit in.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics