Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Receiver Warranty - How Much Is It Worth ?
#34274 02/18/04 11:58 AM
tangupa Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thank you to all on this forum for their past advice ! I now, however, have a 'receiver' question. I am looking to purchase a new receiver (a Yamaha RX-V1400). I am trying to decide whether I should purchase the unit online or at an authorized Yamaha dealer. If purchased online, the price is anywhere from $200-$250 cheaper, however, the 2yr Yamaha warranty will not be in effect. Any suggestions ?

Re: Receiver Warranty - How Much Is It Worth ?
#34275 02/18/04 02:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
This question is always a tough call. I bought mine, an Onkyo 797, on the cheap from an unauthorized dealer on the Internet. At least I assumed it was an unauthorized dealer. It was a B&M electronics store, somewhere in the state of Washington, I think. Regardless, I assumed the warranty would not be in effect.

My reasoning was this. Maybe it's just that I'm lucky, but I've never had a piece of audio equipment fail on me. I bought the Onkyo two years ago, and haven't had a single problem with it. The receiver it replaced (Pioneer), which was the first one I ever bought, was purchased in 1970 and it was still going strong, although cosmetically it showed some wear and tear (don't we all?). I replaced it because, feature-wise it was from the dark ages, and I was moving into a surround setup.

You have to kinda judge a products likelihood of failure. I don't think I would ever get a TV over the Internet, even though doing so would save me a lot of money. They are more likely to have problems. In fact, the first expensive DLP I bought from BB last July had to be returned. It had a problem, and I was VERY glad I had purchased it locally. It was immediately replaced and with minimal hassle. But I digress.

I don't mean to advise you. This decision has to be yours because there is a modicum of risk involved. I can only tell you what my experience has been. Hopefully, others will be do the same, and that will help you make an informed decision. Were it I, I'd take the chance on a receiver made by good manufacturer like Yamaha, and save the money. But there is a risk involved, albeit, in my opinion, a small one. But, it's up to you.

Let us know what you decide, and how it works out.

P.S. Oh I just realized that I did have a piece of audio equipment fail on me. A woofer in one of the AR 5 speakers I bought at the same time I bought the Pioneer receiver pooped out after 32 years of use. Oh well, some days you eat the bear, and some days the bear eats you.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#34276 02/18/04 03:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I second Ajax's advice.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#34277 02/18/04 05:51 PM
veteran
veteran
Also, there are places you can buy the 1400 online which, though you don't get yamaha's 3-year deal (or whatever), give you a free 1-year deal.

It's what I did.

#34278 02/18/04 05:53 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
My suggestion is to weigh the difference in the price you save vs. the possible cost of repair and the quality of customer service provided by the manufacturer of the product. I got my Benq projector for about $400 cheaper than anywhere else and they honored the warranty as if I bought it factory direct. They hot swapped it out and I had a brand new projector in three days.

#34279 02/21/04 02:12 AM
tangupa Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thank you Ajax, chessero, raindance and meeker for responding to my question. I made the decision to purchase the Yamaha receiver online through Etronics for a savings of over $225. Etronics offered its own 1yr service warranty and since there are no moving parts, I thought this was a reasonable approach to take. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed for the next two years (LOL) ..... Thanks again for sharing your thoughts ...

#34280 02/21/04 03:17 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Good for you tangupa. Let us know how you like the 1400.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020