Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Axiom vs Planar speakers, any comments?
#34435 02/19/04 03:14 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
If anyone has compared (listened to) both planar type speakers and Axiom M60Ti. I am virtually sold on the Axiom speakers, however I have heard some very expensive planar speakers and really enjoyed the experience. The planar speakers auditioned were Martin Logans and well above my budget. During my research however I found the Magnapan line and am curious about there entry level speaker MMG?

Anyone audition both of these speakers and care to help with my decision process. Obviously most of you decided on the Axioms but I would like to read your comments on the matter.

-BigFoot_Lives

Re: Axiom vs Planar speakers, any comments?
#34436 02/19/04 03:17 AM
shareholder in the making
The Magnepans I've heard (MG12s and MG1.5) were incredible. I haven't compared them directly to Axiom's line (and I've only heard M22s), but they were definitely better. However, the M22s are very close in sheer impressiveness. I haven't heard the MMGs, but one assumes they are quite good as well. I've never heard Martin Logans, but the guy in the shop where I've listend to Maggies is not impressed with them (he sells both, and the MLs are quite a bit more expensive). He didn't even want to hook them us for us to listen to.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#34437 02/19/04 05:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Electrostats and Planars sound different than box type speakers. Both have its strenghts. Electrostats and planers can project a vast and wide soundstage that can emulate a full orchestra with detail and immediacy. Classical emsembles are soo good with Electrostats and Planars. Box type speakers imaging are top notch. I personally think a standard box type speaker like the M60 can pinpoint (localization of instruments, singer, etc) a little better.

Martin Logans are great but you need to spend lots and move further up their model sound to get that powerful electrostat sound. The lower models don't cut it. There is not enough air pushed by the smaller panels.

The affordable Maggies still need a sub to cover the lower frequency. I have heard the MMG but again since it is a smaller panel it doesn't have that immediacy and detail that the higher model MG12QR (which I do own) or MG1.6QR posses.

Matching planers with sub is also important. You need a fast tight sub that can keep up with planers or electrostats. HSU and SVS is always regarded highly when matching with planers and electrostats.

here is a link of the MG12 that I own.
http://www.spacelofts.com/x1

ps: some people actually do not like the dipole sound for mains. Both the planer and electrostat is a dipole. The sound is projected forward and also backwards. And the sound is very enveloping.
Go out and give one a listen...hopefully it is properly setup.

#34438 02/19/04 05:57 PM
regular
regular
I'd suggest heading to an authorized Magnepan dealer and giving them a listen. They have a dealer locater at http://www.magnepan.com/

If, as your nick suggests, you are in the Pacific Northwest there are dealers in Eugene, Bellevue and Seattle. I've been to the one in Eugene and they have a good setup to listen to.

Free to listen to, way over my budget to take home...Axioms are currently relaxing in my living room...

Tim Debate is not a competition, it's a search for the truth...
#34439 02/19/04 06:36 PM
veteran
veteran
"I've never heard Martin Logans, but the guy in the shop where I've listend to Maggies is not impressed with them (he sells both, and the MLs are quite a bit more expensive). He didn't even want to hook them us for us to listen to."

I wonder how he's able to sell any with that sales pitch and presentation.

#34440 02/19/04 08:50 PM
Dunno. He said that the only reason he carries them is because some people insist on them. The dude obviously makes a living; he's got tons of esoteric stuff in the shop.

#34441 02/19/04 09:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
and who knows, maybe his margin is a lot better on the Maggies compared to the MLs (I hate to assume the worst).

"Chickens don't clap."
#34442 02/19/04 09:10 PM
That is certainly also possible. Although I am so naive, I never even thought of that...

#34443 02/19/04 10:12 PM
local
local
I have no idea what the profit margin is on Martin Logans, but my stepfather bought a pair a few years ago and a Macintosh receiver to power them. The dealer did the set-up for him, and I have to tell you that the sound is fantastic.

#34444 02/20/04 07:13 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Thanks for the replies. After looking into it more, I do not think that I could get as much speaker for the money going with planars. The planars I was looking at appear to be limited in range (especially the low end). As the current upgrade mission is to get closer to full range, I have decided on the Axioms. I placed my order last night. Yeah! The worst thing now is the shipping wait. Thanks for your help.

- BigFoot_Lives

PS. My nick just is meant to be pure fun, not clue you in on my geographical location.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters