Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: suggestions for concealing speaker wires
Ken.C #349398 05/30/11 04:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
There are exceptions. My home has original hardwood flooring, but the baseboards are on top. House if about 65 years old.

CatBrat #349399 05/30/11 05:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Bob, I've never heard of baseboards going below the level of the hardwood flooring, this sounds ridiculous for the simple reason that hdwd flooring needs to expand and contract with the seasons. That's why you need to leave a good 3/8" or so gap between the edge of the hardwood and the wall, then instal your baseboard over top of it so the wood can move freely.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Seekinganswers #349405 05/31/11 01:46 AM
Zak Offline
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Seekinganswers
What are some ways to hide speaker wires running to the side and rear surround speakers? Id like to wire them inside the walls but i dont have any experience with dry wall.

Hi Seeking,

After installing my four QS8 surround speakers I had wires running all over the room.
My theater room is in a bonus room so I could either run the wires in the attic above or in the garage below.
I also considered running behind the baseboards and I even considered running flat wire under the carpet.

I'm not really a DIY guy so I was concerned that I would make a total mess of our relatively new home.
The thought of removing baseboards or drilling holes through the walls was a major concern.
I was talking to a friend about this dreaded project and he mentioned the geek squad at Best Buy.

They installed four 30 foot runs (12 Gauge THX cert.) through the attic and inside the walls to banana plug speaker plates at each speaker and a master banana plug speaker plate behind the AV receiver.
They did a very professional job and the finished job looks extremely clean.

It took 2 installers approximately 4 hours and 2 of those hours were in the attic!
The total cost was just over $300 which was an amazing deal in my books.
Money well spent. wink

Zak

Last edited by Zak; 05/31/11 02:27 AM.
Zak #349406 05/31/11 03:20 AM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Hello Zak,

Your install looks very good. I appreciate the Geek Squad suggestion. I noticed that you said you did four runs for your surround speakers. How much more would it have cost to wire your front sound stage as well?

At this point I am leaning towards a professional install when the time comes. I would not be comfortable with all the dry wall and baseboard work since I have no experience with them. I am sure professional could do a way better job than I can in this case. I would not mind paying around $500 to get things wired for a dedicated listening room. More if need be.

I am sure there are tons of people who I can hire for this type of work, but more suggestions and ideas would be great. Thanks everyone for the advices.

Speakers: Energy RC-70s, RC-LCR, RC-Rs and eD A2-300 x 2.
Receiver: Marantz 6006
Seekinganswers #349411 05/31/11 11:33 AM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
If you're thinking of hiring, getting a general handyman will likely be quite a bit cheaper than Best Buy's people. You don't need any specialized knowledge to fish wires or patch drywall, and it's not electrical work. Furthermore, in-wall speaker wire is cheap as mud compared with what an AV shop will try and sell you.

You might consider a professional if you're doing multi-zone systems or some kind of crazy remote control setup, otherwise the work you need done should not run you $500

Seekinganswers #349720 06/07/11 05:20 AM
devotee
devotee
The local shop I patronize charges $100/hr. I would think $500 would be a reasonable budget unless you have some weird problem area.
There was a series on articles on audioholics a while back where they documented 5 different installs and what was involved.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,136 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup