Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: Improving Axioms
terzaghi #354879 09/15/11 11:58 PM
shareholder in the making
Judging by what we've seen of the process to do the real wood on the Axioms, I wouldn't count on that one! 20 coats takes a lot of hours...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Adrian #354880 09/16/11 12:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Interesting news Ian! could there be a "name that electronic device" contest in the future?

ThangamaAdrian? Thingamabob is already taken...

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #354884 09/16/11 02:55 AM
J
J
I would still like to see a Center channel with WT/MW design.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Ian #354888 09/16/11 04:40 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Ian, it's great to see you take time to give us insight into what's new and coming up.

I can't wait to see what the mystery device is capable of. I've always thought it would be great to see electronics that know exactly what speakers are hooked up to fine-tune the performance. Is this something that could be accomplished with existing AVRs and pre-pros if they all supported some kind of loudspeaker profile software? Of course, then it wouldn't be Axiom-exclusive. Maybe you could license your system, though? I know, these are just wild stabs in the dark. In any case, I'm hoping discussion of this device will pull ClubNeon back into posting a bit.

That's really great about the new QS power brackets. That should make a lot of installations go much smoother.

Glad to hear about the redesign of the amps as well. I can't wait to see how they've turned out.

CV #354900 09/16/11 01:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CV
Ian, it's great to see you take time to give us insight into what's new and coming up.

I can't wait to see what the mystery device is capable of. I've always thought it would be great to see electronics that know exactly what speakers are hooked up to fine-tune the performance. Is this something that could be accomplished with existing AVRs and pre-pros if they all supported some kind of loudspeaker profile software? Of course, then it wouldn't be Axiom-exclusive. Maybe you could license your system, though? I know, these are just wild stabs in the dark. In any case, I'm hoping discussion of this device will pull ClubNeon back into posting a bit.

That's really great about the new QS power brackets. That should make a lot of installations go much smoother.

Glad to hear about the redesign of the amps as well. I can't wait to see how they've turned out.

Ian mentioned the coding is specific to the Axiom listening window. The listening window is set of individual on and off axis frequency response measurements in the horizontal and vertical plane. The set of measurements are then averaged and then plotted as a single frequency response. That is whats called the listening window.

This device looks more like it would be exclusive to certain Axiom speakers and perhaps even specific to the version of that speaker because the listening windows may vary from version to version.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #354901 09/16/11 01:35 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur

BlueJays1,

That is correct. The device is coded specifically for the model of speaker you have and it is version dependant.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Ken.C #354904 09/16/11 02:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Judging by what we've seen of the process to do the real wood on the Axioms, I wouldn't count on that one! 20 coats takes a lot of hours...

20 coats of what? I have a real wood (well veneer) M2. It doesn't have the high gloss finish.

Sarang #354913 09/16/11 02:48 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur

Sarang,

I have put some comments in below regarding your laundry list:

1. Hex screws should be a little recessed on the speakers to give a cleaner look. – Our current screw has a nice positive drive on it that we like. Then there are all those people who really like the look of our current screw; or is it only me?

2. Top and bottom speakers on the QS should be flush with the speaker body. – This is a manufacturing thing. Our wood cutting shop is fully automated and the robot machines that cut the parts cannot hold this part to make the inset in it. There is not enough material left on this part for the clamping if we inset the driver. We will continue to see if we can figure out how to get the machine to do this. There have been attempts at it in the past but then there is always the next idea to try.

3. Towers should come with the option of outriggers. – This is a good idea for customize yours. We have been talking about it here over the past few days and the plinth idea is gaining a lot of favour over just the legs.

4. Real wood finishes at the price of vinyl (my fav). – This is my favourite also. It would just keep it so simple. The only possible downside is if people felt that increasing the vinyl prices up to be the same as the real wood was ok.

5. Brushed stainless steel logo on speakers. – I usually leave these sorts of things up to the women. I will have to ask Amie, Amie, Debbie, and Noreen what they think.

6. Improved sleeker looking stands design. – We have been working on our stands lately. We have not changed the basic look mind you so we are not really any “sleeker”. It has been more things like assembling them as completely as possible at our factory so they are easier to put together and changing the way the speaker mounts to the top plate so it is more ridged and does not have the visible metal piece at the front.

7. Better lower extension for QS. – This would involve a larger cabinet which can get a bit cumbersome for wall hanging. There is the option of running surround subs though. One EP125 for each pair of surrounds and run it through the high level input. Or one EP800 for each pair of surrounds for the overkill crowd.

8. M136/ 631, mirror finishes, W[M^T]W configuration for center, flagship M100, silk covered woofers (for silky smooth sound) etc. to name a few .......... – the VP160 is W[M^T]W and our high gloss finishes make pretty good mirrors.

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Ian #354919 09/16/11 04:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good stuff indeed. But now back to the most important topic, mirror finishes. Ahem. Think real mirror, silverish, reflecting everything around it. You would be the only manufacturer that produced mirror finish speakers. Soon, everyone (well not exactly), would want one of these and this would be the only place to get one..... I think it would be really cool, but then again, I'm usually a majority of one. Great for M3's.

CatBrat #354921 09/16/11 05:19 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
how about "invisible paint"? the sort that makes you speakers disappear.
that would be great for the WAF (or WDF-Wife Dictate Factor).

(by the way, i don't have a wife, so i'm not biased. ;-))

Last edited by J. B.; 09/16/11 05:20 PM.
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters