Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need Speaker Selection guidance to complete system
#35888 03/03/04 07:00 AM
OP Offline
Before proceeding with the rest of my post, I'd appreciate it if you could mentally add the word "Please" to the end of my Subject line as you go back and read it one more time. Thanks!! Couldn't quite make it within the character limit and want to make sure that everyone understands I am just a lowly newcomer and am not looking to make demands upon the long-established upstanding Axiom community that I regularly peer into using these forums.

With that notation having been made, please don't now hate me for bringing up an oft discussed topic that I am sure the regulars around here wish would finally be placed to rest in the "better off dead" category AND NOT be revived by the next aimlessly wandering newbie to come by these parts.

With brevity in mind, it goes a little something like this. I made my very first posts a while back, inquiring about a HTPC I was looking to outfit with speakers. I settled on the M22ti's based upon the many courteous and amicable posts received in response to my question. I feel bad not having provided everyone with feedback shortly after the purchase, because it is always nice to find out how people have benefited from the advice you extended. The truth of the matter is that all this time I have been selfishly delighting in secret, at the sonic reproduction these things pull off every time I turn them on Just can't seem to get enough of 'em, but I'm sure I am preaching to the choir.

Now that you know where I've been, I'd be appreciative if you all could once again help get me to where I want to go. I am looking to round out my surround system, using the M22's as mains. Two qualifiers that may help: My room is about 14 x 12, and I will likely use this system with a 70% music and 30% games/DVD split. My question is this; with the specialization we see in the center (horizontal layout, many drivers/tweeters) and surround (quadpolar design) speakers are they necessarily better at what they do because of their design? Or perhaps, are they specialized due to a gradual evolution of the speaker market (due to the magnet draw towards DVD/home theater emphasis), and would we actually be better served by completing our system using smaller bookshelf's such as the M2 or M3 all the way around?

For the center channel for example, having done my research and gone through all the posts on the matter I could find, it seems that:

1. With either of the two center speakers, there may be somewhat attenuated off-axis response, as well as very small variations in SPL levels (not that I would even have a discerning enough ear to detect either).
2. The VP100 is nothing to regret purchasing, although if more money can be spent the VP150 brings improved sound to the mix.
3. Lastly, JohnK in particular (not to single anyone out, but he seems to be the most visible supporter) praises the merits of an M2 for example, in handling center duty for M22 mains.

I guess what this god-awfully dazed and confused poster is getting at is what detectable attributes separate a VP150 or QS8 from an M2 or other bookshelf speaker that could otherwise fill its role? And, if given my system's emphasis on music, should I pay any heed to these "differences" that I am assuming (and perhaps mistakenly so) are geared to the HT crowd?

I'll leave it at that for now. I want to thank all those that had the patience to read through my garble, and apologize for its length and any undue stress caused. Thank you again for any and all of your insights!

-Tone

Re: Need Speaker Selection guidance to complete system
#35889 03/03/04 07:12 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
This has to be the most submissive post I've ever read. How did my dog get online?

#35890 03/03/04 01:57 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
At the end of the day, the choice of M2/VP100/VP150 for a center falls to preference, budget and space. The VPs are designed to be a bit more flexible for placement and the VP150 tops the "get it if you want the biggest/best available" rankings.

Surrounds get you the M2/M3/QS4/QS8 choice. Again, preference, budget and space. Extra considerations here 1) the Qs seem to diffuse the sound a bit better and 2) the Qs can be wall hung very easily while the Ms might require stands (= expense & lost space). Apparently, the QS4s now use the same tweeter as the 8s and this has made a difference.

In your current room, the VP100 and QS4s make as much sense as anything. If you plan to move to a larger space later, taking the upgrade of each model might be good planning.

The good news - they are all good speakers.

BTW, I didn't see any mention of a subwoofer. This is a must have item.

#35891 03/03/04 02:06 PM
veteran
veteran
In reply to:

Apparently, the QS4s now use the same tweeter as the 8s and this has made a difference.

When did this come about?? They are still listed as having a dual 1" hybrid tweeters while the QS8 has dual 1" tweeters.

#35892 03/03/04 02:19 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Can't tell you the specific date the change occurred. I have been seeing this discussed in threads here over the last couple of weeks. Here is one example.

#35893 03/03/04 02:45 PM
local
local
VP100 and QS4 are fine. Based on your previous posts, you evidently don't have a sub. Considering your M22 mains, That is far more important than surround. IOW adding a sub and staying with stereo will give you a bigger boost than adding surround with no sub.

If you can afford it all at once, VP100, QS4 and a sub would be great. If you cannot my suggestion is get the sub first, then the center + surrounds later. Axiom's EP125 is $380. Hsu's STF-1 is about $299. Either one would be fine for your relatively small room.

#35894 03/03/04 02:56 PM
veteran
veteran
How can I tell if my QS4s have the hybrid tweeter or the new tweeter??

#35895 03/03/04 03:02 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
See the post by Alan in this thread...

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tech&Number=31916&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Last edited by LazyJ; 03/03/04 03:04 PM.
#35896 03/03/04 03:08 PM
veteran
veteran
Just found that thread right after I posted. I'll have to check when I get home to be sure. I just received mine 2 weeks ago so would it be a fair assumption that I have the new ones??

Re: Need Speaker Selection guidance to complete sy
#35897 03/03/04 03:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Intrepid,

Ray gives some great advice here. I've just added and edited some comments.

In reply to:

At the end of the day, the choice of M2/VP100/VP150 for a center falls to preference, budget and space. The VPs are designed to be a bit more flexible for placement horizontally and the VP150 tops the "get it IF YOU WANT THE BIGGEST EDIT DELETE WORD "best" available" rankings.
Surrounds get you the M2/M3/QS4/QS8 choice. Again, preference, budget and space. Extra considerations here 1) the Qs seem to diffuse the sound a bit better and 2) the Qs can be wall hung very easily while the Ms might require stands or the Full Metal Bracket from Axiom (= expense & lost space). Apparently, the QS4s now use the same tweeter as the 8s and this has made a difference. (only in the minds of the buyers in my opinion)

In your current room, the VP100 and QS4s make as much sense as anything. If you plan to move to a larger space later, taking the EDIT DELETE WORD "upgrade", ADD IN "larger version" of each model might be good planning.

To address you questions directly:
In reply to:

1. With either of the two center speakers, there may be somewhat attenuated off-axis response, as well as very small variations in SPL levels (not that I would even have a discerning enough ear to detect either).

The off axis response is a non-issue since as someone had stated before (perhaps Bigwill), if someone sits that far off axis, they may as well go home and watch the movie there. Off axis measurements drop for all speakers, horizontal or vertical. Width makes a difference here.

In reply to:

2. The VP100 is nothing to regret purchasing, although if more money can be spent the VP150 brings improved sound to the mix.

Improved sound? This would be more room size dependant so a better quality sound than the VP100, unlikely.
A wider soundstage and more volume for larger rooms? Yes.
In reply to:

3. Lastly, JohnK in particular (not to single anyone out, but he seems to be the most visible supporter) praises the merits of an M2 for example, in handling center duty for M22 mains.

Refer to Ray's comments above. A single M2 is small enough and cheaper than the centre channels to make this option worthwhile considering for smaller rooms or those looking at a smaller setup. I probably would not choose to use the M2 with a tower setup but since you have the M22s and a smallish room, it is an idea to think about.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,188 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup