Forums » General Discussion » The Water Cooler » Plantar fasciitis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#373748 - 04/19/12 08:05 PM Plantar fasciitis
RickF Offline
axiomite

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
Man does it hurt, and from what I understand it can last up to a year or longer?

Anybody ever experience plantar fasciitis and care to share any remedies that worked for you?

smile

#373751 - 04/19/12 08:12 PM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: RickF]
MarkSJohnson Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Central NH
I had it for about a year and a half.

I'm on my way out the door, but good shoes help, as does a "boot" that stretches your tendons overnight (iirc)!

#373752 - 04/19/12 08:17 PM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: RickF]
jakewash Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
I used the night sock to keep your foot in the flat position, but it only made getting up out of bed a little easier, I don't think it helped with the actual repair of the tissue, my battle lasted close to 2 years and still flares up from time to time, I think it has been about 10 years now since my first encounter with this wonderful pain. I tried some deep massage therapy and rolling my foot over a golf ball, in combination with anti-inflammatories. I think these worked the best for me but I also continued running with this condition so YMMV

My HT

#373754 - 04/19/12 08:35 PM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: RickF]
RickF Offline
axiomite

Man, I can't imagine that pain for 2 years. I am stopping by the pharmacy on the way home from work tomorrow to pick up some Dr. Scholls gel shoe inserts, I was told that will help ... hopefully.

I'm thinking I got it because the rudder is out of trim on my work plane and I've notice all season so far I've been having to hold an unusual amount of pressure on the left rudder pedal, it's also my left foot that is flaring up.

smile

#373756 - 04/19/12 08:51 PM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: RickF]
jakewash Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
That could be it, the extra strain on the foot could cause this condition. Have you had your foot checked for bone spurs? These can form and cause this condition as well, also makes it hard for the tissue to heal.

I didn't find the inserts helped at all, but everyone is different so give them a try.

My bout started with some slightly ill fitted shoes I wore off and on for about 3 months hoping they would 'break-in', the arch support was a little higher than usual and I could feel it on my feet, didn't think too much about thinking they would collapse after a little while of use.

My HT

#373757 - 04/19/12 08:52 PM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: RickF]
Wid Offline
axiomite

Loc: The Peoples Republic of Il.

I went through this last year. The Dr. told me that to start with inserts is the wrong thing to do, it can/will make it worst. I ended up with having my feet taped, I had it in both feet, then was instructed to do stretches.

After that I had to get custom orthotics. It still flares up mainly in my right foot. Hell, I'm going through a bout right now frown

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#373758 - 04/19/12 09:00 PM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: RickF]
RickF Offline
axiomite

I believe I'll make an appointment with a podiatrist, looks like a lot of folks recommend not getting store bought inserts.

smile

#373766 - 04/19/12 11:52 PM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: RickF]
richeydog Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Fresno, CA
My mom was her a second ago and I asked for her advice...(she works for a podiatrist and see's lots of cases of plantar fasciitis).

In her words... "Anti-inflammatory medicine may help, as would cortizone injections, but it's best to see a podiatrist and see about custom made orthotics. Most of the pain comes when you first step down and your foot flattens out. That why the inserts help."
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

#373791 - 04/20/12 07:31 AM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: RickF]
Murph Offline
axiomite

Loc: PEI, Canada
Sounds painful. I hope it clears up soon for you.

#373821 - 04/20/12 09:31 AM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: RickF]
nickbuol Offline
axiomite

Loc: Marion, IA
My wife suffers from this too. She works in a special-needs preschool program in our school district, so she is on her feet a lot, but squatting down and staying is a squat position a lot and it is taking its toll. She has tried insole orthotics, expensive shoes (style and brand recommended by her doctor), exercises like taking a frozen water bottle and while sitting down, roll the water bottle back and forth with her foot, and taken pain meds. the only thing that has helped are the pain killers, but that isn't solving any problem. Not sure what to try next. Someone said physical therapy...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 
Forum Stats

15,270 Registered Members
16 Forums
24,072 Topics
425,081 Posts

Most users ever online:
883 @ 03/04/17 05:06 PM

Top Posters
Ken.C 18044
pmbuko 16437