Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Car Audyssey
#378628 06/16/12 12:10 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Wondering if anyone would know how to address the issue of Audyssey turning the subwoofer off completely in an automobile. I have an Alpine CDA-9887 head unit with add on Audyssey unit; I ran Audyssey and it turned the subwoofer completely off and there appears to be no way to increase subwoofer volume via head unit, no response even if it shows sub volume increasing. For quite some time I thought human ear-derived parametric EQ setting and my own sub setting was pretty good and haven't wanted to fuss, but now I perceive that Audyssey actually does a better job of accurate music production in my automobile setting; Audyssey is optimal at lower volumes, which is key to preserve (what's left of) hearing.

The subwoofer is bolted in trunk and the subwoofer amp is installed behind it, so I have been reluctant to investigate.

I realize this may be the wrong forum (Axiom vs Audyssey) but this tends to be the one I turn to for audio advice, due to excellent previous results (SK attempts to butter up audio geniuses or geeks?).

Any thoughts, knowledge, or suggestions?

Thanks guys

Last edited by SatKartr; 06/16/12 12:11 AM.

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
Re: Car Audyssey
SatKartr #378650 06/17/12 01:44 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Sat, long time no see. Wish I had some great advice to welcome you back with, but if you mean that the sub works normally when Audyssey is off, but has no output whatever with it on, that's a puzzlement. Audyssey can adjust the relative volume levels of the speakers and sub within certain limits, but has no capacity to turn one entirely off. I'm not familiar with your car setup.

Are you sure that it isn't just a lower(better balanced)sub level which makes it "disappear" compared to previous boominess? Some users have gone as far as to claim "It stole all my bass!".

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #378826 06/20/12 06:42 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's exactly what I meant to say; with Audyssey MultEQ turned off the subwoofer is operating normally, and when MultEQ is turned on, there is no subwoofer output even with the sub turned up all the way via the head unit. I will double check to make sure my memory serves; however, when this problem initially arose I believe the way I checked was to turn the sub up all the way with MultEQ on and walk back to the trunk so I could touch the subwoofer speaker cone and confirm that there were zero vibrations coming out.

I submitted a request to "Ask Audyssey" and they stated the following:

Chris Kyriakakis, Jun 18 10:51 pm (PDT):
Hi Sat,

Audyssey doesn't control the subwoofer content and whether it is on or off. This is done by the Alpine interface. They should be able to help you with this.

Best regards,
Chris Kyriakakis
Founder and CTO, Audyssey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skkhalsa, Jun 16 08:44 am (PDT):
When I run Audyssey for my alpine cda 9887 with imprint add on it turns the subwoofer off completely and there is no way to manually increase the volume of the sub via the head unit. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks
Sat Kartar"

So I guess I need to contact Alpine. I was surprised that Audyssey "doesn't control the subwoofer content" in my particular setup but apparently that's the case. I was going to go back to Car Toys who did the install; however, the sales reps seem clueless about Audyssey, not sure about the technichians or installers.

Will let you know if I get it sorted out.

SatKartr #380514 07/22/12 11:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
*Bump* - Sat, did you find a solution? What I did was to turn the gain on my sub amp WAY down, then run the calibration. Once everything was done, I turned the amp gain back up. Problem solved.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
real80sman #380898 07/30/12 10:07 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
No, I still haven't gotten around to it, however thanks for the suggestion. Pretty busy lately and lacking in time and patience for things that don't work as it seems they should.

The subwoofer is bolted into the trunk and would have to be removed for me to access the sub amp, and I'm still perplexed as to how Audyssey could turn the sub completely off, when according to the CTO it supposedly does not even control the subwoofer content.

Still listening to Audyssey MultEQ lately sans sub, it sounds pretty good, sort of like "hifi" back in the day. I've somewhat given up on the quest of having car audio that sounds pristine in this particular car because I have to turn the volume up so loud to overcome the background wind noise that it's not worth it, too damaging to hearing.

Not much of an audio tweaker these days, I'm afraid.

Last edited by SatKartr; 07/30/12 10:07 PM.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters