Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
Re: Global Warming - We've Been Here Before
CV #381694 08/16/12 07:04 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Originally Posted By: CV
Using science is like trying to prop yourself up with a crutch that never quite reaches the ground. There are always going to be more questions that follow whatever questions you answer. Faith is a crutch that will actually reach the ground, but only from your specific perspective. The others around you might still see a guy flailing around on the ground.

CV, I really this analogy and metaphor. It captures the differences between the two perspectives well. One of the comforts of faith or religion is that it can answer many difficult questions to the satisfaction of believers. Science, on the other hand, demands that you question your answers.

That crutch -- I prefer to view it as a tool, since the term "crutch" has a negative connotation -- is never going to reach all the way to to the ground. It may one day appear to touch the ground, but then a scientist will point out that the crutch's atoms are not actually touching the ground's atoms at all....

2x6spds #381695 08/16/12 07:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
"...then you are going to be useless as a scientist".

I have no intention or desire to be a scientist. Faith based beliefs are either right or wrong. I'm of the belief that faith based are the correct way for multiple reasons I won't go into here. I believe science and faith can both exist side by side with one not contradicting the other. I also believe that humans are good at explaining things, but not good at coming up with the correct results. There's always something not yet discovered that changes things.

Ya_basta #381696 08/16/12 07:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Peter just asked for an "agree" or "disagree". We've "discussed" this topic before and it unfortunately turns kinda nasty. It's civil now, but.

Yes, let's just keep this simple, please.

And remember, Peter said "Evolution. Do you agree or disagree that it is currently the best explanation we have for how the current diversity of life on Planet Earth came to be?"

Implicit in that phrase is the acknowledgment of the existence of other explanations and the possibility of the development of new, and better, explanations.

With this wording, no one agreeing or disagreeing can be assumed to have a closed mind on the issue.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
2x6spds #381698 08/16/12 07:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL. Man, you're making it very difficult to stir up trouble.

CatBrat #381699 08/16/12 08:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I also believe that humans are good at explaining things, but not good at coming up with the correct results. There's always something not yet discovered that changes things.

Well, sometimes. Then it's time to reassess. A discovery that changes things is exciting! New knowledge! Going back to the drawing board is not a defeat in science. It's actually crucial to the discovery of new data, testing of hypotheses, and development of theory.

However, many times there are things that are discovered which fit well with current theory. It's cool when the predictions work.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown. Give me a good scientist who wants to find the things that are unknown. That's how you get new medicines, new iPads, and you land on Mars.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
2x6spds #381701 08/16/12 09:25 PM
2x6spds Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Please pass the Karl POPPERcorn.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Ajax #381702 08/16/12 09:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Ajax
Peter just asked for an "agree" or "disagree". We've "discussed" this topic before and it unfortunately turns kinda nasty. It's civil now, but.

Yes, let's just keep this simple, please.

And remember, Peter said "Evolution. Do you agree or disagree that it is currently the best explanation we have for how the current diversity of life on Planet Earth came to be?"

Implicit in that phrase is the acknowledgment of the existence of other explanations and the possibility of the development of new, and better, explanations.

With this wording, no one agreeing or disagreeing can be assumed to have a closed mind on the issue.

Jack, you forgot to include the most important sentence in the Peter's message; his opening statement:

Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I'm interested in getting a baseline on the scientific literacy of those participating in this thread. I unfortunately have to bring up a subject that is controversial, but really should not be, given the supporting evidence.

The following paragraph starts off stating the aforementioned subject:

Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Evolution.

The wording is quite clear that there's one subject in question. Or at least that's the way it appears to me. Obviously only Peter knows, and I'm sure he'll side with one of his buddies.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #381703 08/16/12 09:38 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Obviously only Peter knows, and I'm sure he'll side with one of his buddies.

What the hell? That just doesn't seem very nice.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #381704 08/16/12 09:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Obviously only Peter knows, and I'm sure he'll side with one of his buddies.

What the hell? That just doesn't seem very nice.

Tom, I've been lambasted numerous times while others get a free pass doing the same f'in thing.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
2x6spds #381705 08/16/12 10:16 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Oh, I guess it's okay, then.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic