C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
Well, I bought my tickets for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. IMAX 3D, Spokane, WA, Saturday, December 19th, 4:00 PM. Besides being sold out opening day, of course, I couldn't get the time off. My friend was game to go, so we're going to get a group together. I bought 6 as a safety, since Fandango says I can return or exchange until 2 hours before the show. I imagine enough people will want to go. Even if the movie doesn't live up to hopes and dreams, at least it will be a fun road trip with friends.

I watched Beasts of No Nation on Netflix last night. Granted, my ears are untrained, but Idris Elba's accent sounded pretty convincing to me--great performance. He did an amazing job with Stringer Bell in The Wire, so I'm just assuming it was the same caliber of work as far as sounding like he was supposed to. His wasn't the only great performance. He's simply the only one I know by name. Worth watching, though I knew I had to be in the right mood to subject myself to a film about child soldiers.

I re-watched Death Proof for Halloween, as planned. It still impresses me. People talk about it being one of Tarantino's lesser works, but I just don't see it. The concept, the characters, the execution.... It all shows he knows how to play the long game in his writing and directing. If you like Tarantino and have never taken the time, consider it.

I didn't get to re-watching This Is the End, but that's more fun with other people, anyway.

Time for me to sleep so I can get up and write, write, write for NaNoWriMo tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Re: So what are you watching tonight?
pmbuko #415417 11/10/15 01:30 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Originally Posted By pmbuko
I'm really looking forward to Aziz Ansari's new series on Neflix, Master of None.

Digging it. Great soundtrack too. Not a fan of his standup, but this show has heart and lots of genuine laughs.

AAAA #415418 11/10/15 01:45 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
Originally Posted By pmbuko
I'm really looking forward to Aziz Ansari's new series on Neflix, Master of None.

Digging it. Great soundtrack too. Not a fan of his standup, but this show has heart and lots of genuine laughs.

Loved the show, but I love his standup, too.

I've been making my way through The Seven Deadly Sins, also a Netflix Original. I wasn't expecting to see a subtitled anime as one of their originals. It was a safe choice, though, as it's pretty much all stuff you've seen in other successful anime series, maybe not done quite as well. But it's still serviceable, and it does grow on you as you watch. It will simply never be a classic unless there's some truly amazing writing later on.

I haven't watched a Korean drama in a while, and the recommendations my sister has been giving me have been piling up, so I'd better get on that.

CV #415575 11/22/15 06:08 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Terminator Genisys (Blu-Ray)

Even at -12 Db, this one really shakes the house - often & deep - if you have the proper gear.

Worth a watch I guess...

TAM

CV #415577 11/22/15 08:27 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I have a Game of Thrones dilemma.

The show is spectacular and now that I have a decent television to watch it on, the copy that I have is lacking in detail .. computer download.

I find it rather offensive of the studios that they actually charge a different price for the DVD vs Blu Ray copies of the show when effectively, the price difference in pressing the disks is essentially the same. I have read that it actually costs more now to press DVD as the equipment is getting older vs Blu Ray.

The show is not over and you know they will release the ultimate box sets when season 7 (or will it be 8) finally airs. There is likely going to be a 4k version of it released. But at $50 per season, it's pretty steep when DVD is only $20. Who knows how much they will charge for the UHD Blu Ray versions when they get released.

There is a better deal on a 4 season Blu Ray for $100 that brings the cost down a bit. But it's not complete. Its like the harry potter blue ray boxes that were on sale without the deathly hollow two movies.

It it worth getting it as 4 seasons of watching is quite a bit to get through. Or do you wait?

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
CV #415580 11/23/15 04:16 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Just watched, When Marnie Was There, From studio Ghibli.
Great studio never a bad movie. Now own every English release except, Grave of the Fire Flies. One of those had it one day didn't buy it on the spot and can't find it again deals.
Highly recommend Any thing GHIBLI. Even the Overly Green Peace flicks well worth the watch.

brendo #415582 11/23/15 04:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Did anyone else watch the American Music Awards last night? Not our kinda show/artists, but it was after dessert and we were too lazy to reach.

I have never heard so many bad performances in one evening in my life! We were shocked. We kept turning our heads and looking at each other on the sofa (like Jeff and Akbar), every time it happened again and watched each other writhe as some of them got progressively worse.

Specifically, the problem was that a number of vocalists went in and out of pitch throughout a tune. Was the monitoring signal being sent to the earphones so screwed up that the singers couldn't hear each other or the musicians?

Luke and some female I don't know had some pretty awful harmonies in their duet. I really think they didn't know. Alanis M. and Demi L. did a duet from "Jagged Little Pill." Alanis was dead on, all the time. Demi struggled at times to maintain pitch.

The toughest to bear was Celine. You're reading the words of a hater, but I've never denied that she has an amazing voice.
At the beginning of her Paris tribute, it was just her and the pianist. Being as good as you have to be to get that gig, he caught up with here in whatever effing key she was wandering around in.

I said to Jeff, I mean, Bill, "HE can key-correct for her, but when the rest of that orchestra comes in, they can't.

She had several moments that make humans lower their necks and raise their shoulders, as if we knew we actually could become turtles. "Cringe-worthy, with nice, round, full 1/4-tone pitch deviances," is a good description.

No one watches that kind of thing gleefully, well, Nicki Minaj, maybe. There wasn't a poor singer among the several that this happened to. It's always a bummer to see ridiculously experienced professionals fail, especially when it's a production problem---that many artists cannot all be having an off night.

I gotta say, though, of all of them, the one that actually hurt, physically, was Celine's. When you throw that kind of power behind that kind of oscillation, yeow!

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
CV #415585 11/23/15 05:43 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
That's why I don't watch nor listen to any of these ubiquitous 'award shows' - neither music, TV nor movie awards.

Show business (including the mainstream 'news' media) has to be the most narcissistic industry on the planet, except perhaps for professional sports (I don't watch 'games' either)...

TAM

BobKay #415586 11/23/15 05:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Bob. You missed your calling as a New York Times reviewer. Really.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
brendo #415625 11/26/15 06:31 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By brendo
Just watched, When Marnie Was There, From studio Ghibli.
Great studio never a bad movie. Now own every English release except, Grave of the Fire Flies. One of those had it one day didn't buy it on the spot and can't find it again deals.
Highly recommend Any thing GHIBLI. Even the Overly Green Peace flicks well worth the watch.

I have all of the Miyazaki Ghibli films, but I'm behind on the other ones. I'm embarrassed, but I still haven't made time to watch all of the ones I've purchased. Grave of the Fireflies I did watch back in the day, but I haven't watched it since getting the Blu-ray. I need more hours in the day to relax properly.

Page 399 of 434 1 2 397 398 399 400 401 433 434

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters