Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why go Anthem receiver?
MMM #417586 03/11/16 02:01 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I gOT home and there was the box. Ready to open. I grabbed a pair of scissors to cut the tape, and my wife wasn't too pleased.. I guess I should have at least said hello after being gone all week. Oops. I got the tape cut and then I was asked to start laundry (mainly mine), and then I decided to register the device, which I did and the. Lwft. I haven't even seen the u it itself yet...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
MMM #417587 03/11/16 02:08 AM
aficionado
aficionado
If you already have external amp thats four channels yeh, say yourself some money.
If your like me and put the SPL meter away when watching movies at 80db or listening to music at 90db. Your not going to notice the
" Noise" made between the transformers.
Likewise, if your lucky enough to have alot of disposable income, then grab the 1120 if that "Noise" is going to effect your listening pleasure.

Anthem MRX520
M5HPv4
VP160HPv4
QS10v4

MMM #417589 03/11/16 02:49 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, I think that there is something probably measurable noise wise, but not audible to human ears. I wouldn't out any stock in it. Bmnow I did hear that the toroidal has a "faster response" to volume changes that does give noticeably more "punch" when a soundtrack calls for it, but again, that isn't why I got it. As for lots of disposable income, not here... far from it actually. I've been working side Photoshop jobs for AVS people and generally get anywhere from $50-$100 per job (some are less, and some I do for free) but I probably bring in around $150 on average a week doing that, and that money was specifically going towards 7.2.4 Atmos equipment and I have been working at it for a long time. I also had to tap into this money for a new furnace, but was glad to have it.

Of course, the day before the 1120 showed up at our door, the transmission went out on the family van and it isn't worth fixing, so now we have to start shopping for vehicles. So again, "disposable income" doesn't just come to some of us. I have put a lot of time and effort into getting it, and now have something that will hopefully help pay for a newer vehicle...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #417592 03/11/16 03:58 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By TroyD
If you already have external amp thats four channels yeh, say yourself some money. If your like me and put the SPL meter away when watching movies at 80db or listening to music at 90db. Your not going to notice the
" Noise" made between the transformers.

I have about 8 channels of external ampage. The LFR's use 4 and I have the pair of Amp/OneA's that for the time being can run my Energy Take micro bookshelf speakers that I have and can mount for height speakers to get 11.2 (or is that 7.2.4)? As for volume.. I have not the largest room and I don't particularly play for the rest of the house or neighbours to hear. If I get up to 90db then I am playing it loud. But sometimes it does get up there.

Originally Posted By nickbuol
Yeah, I think that there is something probably measurable noise wise, but not audible to human ears. I wouldn't out any stock in it. Bmnow I did hear that the toroidal has a "faster response" to volume changes that does give noticeably more "punch" when a soundtrack calls for it, but again, that isn't why I got it.

This goes back to my original question that nobody had really answered, but rather skirted around it.

What channels will take advantage of this "faster response" or larger dynamics or faster recovery time?

If I have a ADA1000 amp that I am going to gather from reviews of Craigsub is no slouch driving the LFR speakers, then from stereo listening there is ZERO advantage from the 1120.

That just leaves the Center channel and side / back surround speakers left to power. Do these channels get hit for large dynamic sounds? I could understand if someone said the Center Channel would. But then I'd ask If you eliminated the power requirements to drive a Left and Right front speaker, would a less effeciant/responsive power supply be more than adiquate as you are pulling 1/3rd of the current demand because you are not using the L&R front amp at all ?

I DO NOT KNOW THE ANSWER SO I AM ASKING. does my logic sound reasonable?

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #417593 03/11/16 05:03 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I have no scientific proof that the CC handles the bulk of movie soundtracks now; however, it seems that what I have gathered in numerous other threads in other sites, that this is the case.

Many say that the CC is now the most important channel & handles most of the info & dynamics of the movie. I'd say that the CC should be allowed lots of power & have a powerful speaker that can handle it...

TAM

Last edited by exlabdriver; 03/11/16 05:04 AM.
MMM #417595 03/11/16 01:17 PM
aficionado
aficionado
That " Disposable Income" didn't quite come out the way I meant. Alot of people with non-disposable income get good stuff, working and saving for it. I've been building on my system be a few years but will get done.
It sure wasn't in reference to you getting a 1120 or your income.

One would think or atleast I do that sometimes reviewers, etc take things to the minute extreme.

I am a probably above average home theatre enthusiast, meaning around here most people think a $1000 home theatre in a box is a awesome thing and that me spending $2000 on just F/R speakers is crazy and they seriously don't hear the difference.

I am for me darn sure with my M80 and VP180 connected to a MRX720 and my Anthem MCA50 running just F/C/R I am not in any way going to notice any recovery or dynamic difference with a MRX703 connected to three MCA mono blocks or ADA1500's.

Yes, I think they changed the type or transformer, basically because the 1120 is running for more internal amps a little more stain on the system. Also, with more channels etc probably gives a bit more " Noise" maybe at 11 channel it is audible.

I think if one is concerned why not get the AVM60 and pick up a MCA325 or 3ch ADA1250. Later on pick up a ADA100 4 ch to run the rear/surrounds and use the amp you have for Atmos speakers as it starts to come on stream and movies become more choices.

Isn't the point of separates exactly the point you are questioning. The Pre/Pro has it's own transformer. The three amps have there own and are broken down. I am darn near 100% sure a ADA150 or MCA325 can handle and run L/C/R in most any normal/above normal situations that, I know I am not going to notice. Maybe, if your listening at 100dbl in a room the size of a hall you will notice. Pretty sure a 4 ch ADA1000 or 1250 will sufficiently handle the rear/surrounds.
As for the Sides/Surrounds I believe for the most part these are usually crossed over at what 100hz? I cannot see that taxing the system much.

My point is there's what 5 movies in ATMOS, DTS:X isn't even out yet. It's probably going to be a year or two before it becomes mainstream and more selection. I cannot see On-Demand on Movie network broadcasting anytime soon, well hell Bell ExpressVU doesn't even do 7.1. This gives you a couple years to build a great system in separates and not really worry about a receiver's capabilities on how it runs 7/9 or 11 channels.

Last edited by TroyD; 03/11/16 01:49 PM.

Anthem MRX520
M5HPv4
VP160HPv4
QS10v4

MMM #417596 03/11/16 02:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Currently 32 blu-rays available with Atmos some better than others:
Atmos Blu-Ray Titles

DTS:X is out for a few receiver brands, but movie selection there is dismal with 4 current titles:
DTS:X Blu-Ray Titles

With so few choices for DTS:X, and still even a relatively small number of Atmos titles compared to movies people could possibly have in their collection, what a lot of people are enjoying are the upmixers for both Atmos and DTS:X. The reviews there (particularly with the DTS:X one) is that they can really create an amazing soundfield from non-Atmos and non-DTS:X material. Heck, I was just watching the latest "Home Theater Geeks" video and they talk about how the one guy, Mark, likes to even upmix stereo audio (eek, sacrilege for the audiophiles out there) as he says that it really does an amazing job of putting you IN the audio field, and it isn't just basic "all speaker stereo" type of settings, but actually doing some significant processing to great something realistic and cool.

But what am I doing here? I have a MRX-1120 sitting in its box downstairs. I have about 5 things that I need to do today that I told myself I would HAVE to get done before getting it out and starting to set it up. So I need to get my butt in gear and start checking things off the list.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
MMM #417619 03/12/16 01:26 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Congrats on the 1120, now hurry up and get those chores done.
Even on a non atmos system the sound effects on the Atmos blue rays is pretty darn enveloping even compared to 7.1. on the same discs. I've got about 4 of them now Expendables 3 was the biggest difference I've noticed.

MMM #417628 03/12/16 05:13 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, my new Galaxy S7 Edge phone came today too, and I spent a lot of the evening multi-tasking to get it set up as I could click through settings while doing other things, vs. dedicating quite some time exclusively working on the receiver installation.

Then we ended up going to one of my wife's friend's house for a couple of hours...

On a good note, I will have a chunk of Saturday to get it installed, ARC set and applied, and some demos, even with a 7.1 setup. I agree that even without height speakers that Atmos encoded discs sound better than non-Atmos discs. I had an Onkyo 646 for about 3 days in December, and experienced the same thing.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
MMM #417636 03/12/16 01:36 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Well, I have my prices now and there is a good savings for me going with the MRX720 over the MRX1120.

What was suggested in one of the other forums however was looking at going with the AVR60 that comes with none of the amps (that costs about mid way between the two models above). Some suggest that a pre-amp will supposedly sound better than going with a receiver. How true is that? or is it just snobbery myth

With my current setup I effectively have enough external amps to run a 5.1 setup (that I currently have installed). Going with the money doesn't grow on trees and it would take some time to afford a reasonable 5 channel amp to bring the system up to the full atmos 11.2 (7.2.4)

Now I have seen on CAM that people are selling Anthem D2 for around $2000 and there are those who purchased the AVR50 who are rather ticked that the newer and more featured model is now listed for 1/3rd the price they paid for their unit. I guess the pre-amp is making a comeback into reasonable price range again. With the likes of Marantz AV8802 costing well over $4k, getting an Anthem pre-amp for a good thousand less than that would be a bonus.

If you had the choice between going component vs integrated receiver, what would you choose?

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082