Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Movie to test Surround
#42024 04/20/04 03:47 AM
shareholder in the making
And all that only counts as one post... Good stuff, Ray!

#42025 04/20/04 04:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ray - I just had deja vu

Some weeks ago, I wrote this, on this website, under the
thread:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=HT&Number=36099&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=seabiscuit&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=36054,

Adrien (Capn_Pickard) wrote:
In reply to:

Some of my favs include:

U-571 - (depth charges) - great scene for both visual and audio demo.

Requiem for a Dream - The whole soundtrack adds so much to the experience of the film. The surrounds are super active, with both music and effects coming from the surruodn stage. It really adds to the disorienting, manic, surrealistic feel of the movie.

Signs, Exorcist and The Others - All three are great for scaring you with the surrounds. They use the rears so effectively to get you to jump or just to creep you out. It's like a new version of the "open door - have something jump out and scare you gag" for frights sake alone. Now, by using the surruonds, the mixers are able to really immerse the audience in the scene, making you feel like you are there - it truly is scarier to hear what goes bump in the night as opposed to what you see (which is usually much less menacing).

seabiscuit - This movie should have won the award for best sound, IMHO. The sound of the horses feet as they came barreling down the stretch was so thunderous and powerful - it really allows the viewer to better comprehend the strength that the horses have - not to mention the fact that its pretty awesome, hearing a dozen or so horses stampeding through your living room.

Today, on this thread, Ray wrote:

In reply to:

Seabiscuit
This movie should have won the award for best sound, IMHO. The sound of the horses hooves as they came barreling down the stretch was so thunderous and powerful - it really allows the viewer to better comprehend the strength that the horses have - not to mention the fact that its pretty awesome, hearing a dozen or so horses stampeding through your living room.

Signs, Exorcist and The Others
All three are great for scaring you with the surrounds. They use the rears so effectively to get you to jump or just to creep you out. It's like a new version of the "open door - have something jump out and scare you gag" for frights sake alone. Now, by using the surrounds, the mixers are able to really immerse the audience in the scene, making you feel like you are there - it truly is scarier to hear what goes bump in the night as opposed to what you see (which is usually much less menacing).

S.W.A.T. has some good surround effects with gunshots and helicopters flying around.

U-571 - (depth charges) - great scene for both visual and audio demo. DTS testing the clarity and power of your subwoofer

At least we know Ray is getting good at using his cut and paste tool. Sure, I don't care that he did this, I'm kind of flattered - but don't play this off of your own, dude. Give credit where it's due - even if its pretty insignificant...

#42026 04/20/04 04:13 AM
Uh oh, Ray: 'splain yo'seff!

Never mind. Chess 'splained.

Last edited by pmbuko; 04/20/04 04:23 AM.
#42027 04/20/04 04:17 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Actually although Ray did not acknowledge the exact source of the material, he did state that it was not 'his own'
His opening sentence was:
"Here is a summary of DVDs with interesting audio I put together from a variety of sources: "

I'm assuming Ray got the list from various posts that had already listed some good movies.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#42028 04/20/04 04:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Fair enough, Chess. Alright, enough of this - let's continue the list post. Let's drop it.

#42029 04/20/04 04:29 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

Let's drop it

and hvae anoter martoonie.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#42030 04/20/04 05:38 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Love the Norah Jones sound...WOW on the BASS and her voice is awesome!!! I just watched a Lenny Kravitz DVD (Think it's just called Lenny Live). The sound on that is GREAT as well!!!! Nice bass on the opening of American Woman. A lot of people didn't like his remake, but I liked it!!

Anyway, love these types of posts, let's me know what to buy next!!!!

#42031 04/20/04 05:46 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Hmmm - interesting (and disappointing) response to a little help. I'll try and keep copyright, intellectual property and plagiarism issues at the forefront of my thought process in the future. Where are the martoonies?

#42032 04/20/04 05:53 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
haha ray.. when i was reading your responsae, i was like, hey that looks familiar..

i am flattered, i have never had anyone quote me!! here, try this one when you get a chance..

big john say-"never piss on leg when you only got one pair of jeans"..

why am i talking like an indian chief all the sudden??

***OKAY-back to the surround testers.***

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#42033 04/21/04 03:22 AM
old hand
old hand
Thanks to those who recommended the Norah Jones DVD. I just bought it, and it's great! I did have to turn the sub down a bit, though; the bass seems mixed a bit strong.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,946
Posts442,492
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters