Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: M3 Crossover setting
Clovis #426707 09/27/17 12:53 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I am sure that Ian will chime in at some point, but from what I have experienced the speakers can handle a very large amount of wattage.. just as long as what is being put out is clean power and not clipping. this will be true for most speakers.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #426708 09/27/17 02:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Axiom performs extensive testing on all products and components. One of the most interesting is the "torture chamber", where they drive speakers to the point of exploding...literally!

The room has trophies of those drivers that have sacrificed themselves for our listening pleasure!

MMM #426712 09/27/17 10:03 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Clovis and I were chatting in our e-mail system about this. It is no problem to run the M3s full range from the receiver. Our entire line of product is designed to take lots of power no problem. To give you an idea I am running my LFR1100s with an ADA1500-2 to each speaker. That is 1300 continuous watts to each speaker with usable dynamics about 3 times that. It is really loud and clean.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Clovis #426741 09/29/17 12:24 PM
Clovis Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
It is reassuring to hear from... the President... of Axiom Audio that running the M3(v3) on full range frequency at -20db volume by my 120 watt (8 ohm) AVR does not pose a risk.

I had mentioned in a previous post that I used to power these M3s with a Rotel RA06SE stereo integrated amplifier so i guess it goes without saying that they were played as "Large" speakers.

I did refrain from specifically mentioning my email feedback from Ian as I felt it seemed irrelevant or inappropriate to share a one on one correspondence. But Ian's revelation has tempted me to share my correspondence with Thomas "TJ" Baust, Customer Technician from Sound United (Definitive Technology).

As you may know I am working on fixing my faulty Prosub1000 and in that regard he has been very helpful in his prompt replies. I did use this opportunity to ask him some questions like I would on a forum like this.

He had specifically advised me to run the BP6B tower on 60hz (small) to minimize the risk of "blowing the speakers".
I don't know what's more funny; the risk of witnessing an orgasmic explosion after "blowing" the speakers or referring to a tower speaker with 60hz range limit.

I immediately followed up with another query (given his prompt Artificial Intelligence like replies) on using a stereo integrated amplifier like the aforementioned Rotel to power the BP6B...Silence. I sent him another email... Silence. I went into my gmail sent items to check if the email message was delivered and it was. I haven't witnessed this much silence since Benjamin Netanyahu's forty four second hush at the 2015 UN general assembly.

Having a forum of a transparent nature like this where even harsh criticisms, reviews and complaints of its products and services are tolerated is what makes this (in my opinion) a great organisation.

If I did want to end this comment with a question it would be: Would it be ethical to sell a floor standing speaker like the BP6B without recommending that it not be powered by traditional two channel high fidelity amplifiers / receivers without crossover controls? Of course I had read somewhere that the term "Business Ethics" is an oxymoron so I wouldn't be surprised over this established fact.

Clovis de Cruz
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Cork), 1,306 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup