Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 426 of 434 1 2 424 425 426 427 428 433 434
Re: So what are you watching tonight?
CV #444091 11/27/21 05:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
LOTR series was the first set I updated.

CV #444092 11/27/21 08:05 AM
C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I'm very disappointed in how The Wheel of Time has turned out. I don't see how they ever recover from the choices they've made that deviate from the books. There are so many ways they could have improved the material, as much as I liked the books, but instead they've dragged it down to the typical poorly executed TV fantasy level. They don't spend enough time setting up the characters and the world, rushing instead to drama and conflict amped up to stupid proportions this early in the story. They've altered certain characters in ways that makes them less engaging. They hobbled one of the most emotionally resonant scenes in the first book by changing the context and setting where it occurs. They've changed the rules of the magic system that Robert Jordan put a ton of thought into. There's no subtlety. You get clubbed over the head with everything. The writing is just clumsy with story structure and pacing being a total mess, and the directing is wholly uninspired. It's hard to watch, but I will keep doing it because at least I get to do with my best friend who got me into Wheel of Time back in the day. He also has a lot of problems with the show, so we get to complain to each other about how wrong they've gotten it. But my sister and his brother are both enjoying the show, so take my disgust with a grain of salt.

chesseroo #444094 11/27/21 04:16 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted by chesseroo
Originally Posted by michael_d
Agree with Trevor. I bought the UB820 when it was initially released. It's been working without issue.

Panasonic also has a more 'professional' model out (UB9000) that's essentially the same player, but aluminum case that I wanted to get, but couldn't find one at a reasonable price point.

I bought the LOTR extended version in 4K a couple months ago. Waiting for a day I don't need to do anything to binge-watch it. These movies are one of the few that I actually prefer watching the extended versions.

I have the Sony UBP-X800, but my q re: LOTR was specific to that 4k set. Is it really better resolution-wise than the originals?
Some remixes are not and the upsampling IMO is rather so so.

I don't know. I have not watched any of the 4K movies - yet.

But....to date, any 4K version that I've bought and sat through in my HT system has been a real treat. Better than 1080P by a significant amount. The HDR aspect of 4K puts them in a different category. Some of the Atmos soundtracks are just - meh, but some are pretty fantastic. 4K stuff on my smaller, great room TV isn't as much of a treat as in the HT with 8' screen.

CV #444095 11/27/21 04:22 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted by CV
I'm very disappointed in how The Wheel of Time has turned out. I don't see how they ever recover from the choices they've made that deviate from the books. There are so many ways they could have improved the material, as much as I liked the books, but instead they've dragged it down to the typical poorly executed TV fantasy level. They don't spend enough time setting up the characters and the world, rushing instead to drama and conflict amped up to stupid proportions this early in the story. They've altered certain characters in ways that makes them less engaging. They hobbled one of the most emotionally resonant scenes in the first book by changing the context and setting where it occurs. They've changed the rules of the magic system that Robert Jordan put a ton of thought into. There's no subtlety. You get clubbed over the head with everything. The writing is just clumsy with story structure and pacing being a total mess, and the directing is wholly uninspired. It's hard to watch, but I will keep doing it because at least I get to do with my best friend who got me into Wheel of Time back in the day. He also has a lot of problems with the show, so we get to complain to each other about how wrong they've gotten it. But my sister and his brother are both enjoying the show, so take my disgust with a grain of salt.

Charles - never watch a movie thinking it will be as good as the book. You're in for disappointment ever time. LOL

I did not read this series of books, or The Hobbit, or Harry Potter. I am enjoying this new series quite a bit and find it entertaining. I also liked LOTR even though I don't like hobbits. Harry Potter, same thing. Entertaining, despite not liking Harry Potter. Winey little twit.

CV #444098 11/27/21 09:14 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
The Harry Potter books are great.

LFR1100
VP180HP
EP600
M3 In Ceiling x 4
M5OW
M2 - Atmos rears
ADA1500.5
M3 Outdoor Speakers
ADA 1000.8
michael_d #444100 11/28/21 07:14 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by michael_d
Charles - never watch a movie thinking it will be as good as the book. You're in for disappointment ever time. LOL

Ha ha, I know, but it would feel weird not to be protective of something I grew up with. For anyone wondering, my sister and my friend's brother also read the series, so they also had the comparison in mind. And my sister said her friend also started watching it and loved it, and she had read the books as well. I guess my friend and I are sticks in the mud. I really wanted to like it, if only because I love Rosamund Pike as an actress and was excited they got someone at that level to play Moiraine. She's too tall for the character, but so was Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

CV #444281 12/19/21 09:38 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
There are some touches I've liked in The Wheel of Time, but I'm still finding it hard to get past some of the glaring character changes and lack of patience on the part of the writers. And I'm sure some of it comes from Amazon limiting them to 8 episodes in a season. I sure hope they expand that in future seasons. It would help to feel like you're spending time in the world rather than racing from plot point to plot point.

I also signed up for the free trial of Paramount+ to watch Detroiters and the two new South Park specials. Good stuff.

CV #444297 12/21/21 08:30 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I hadn't fired up my UHD Blu-ray player in a couple weeks, so I decided it was time to watch the 4K copy of the Emma Thompson/Ang Lee Sense and Sensibility I bought. It was released as part of Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection Volume 2, but I bought it on its own on eBay. While you can tell it's not the most recent movie, and there's some softness to the picture through a lot of it, there are certainly scenes that have benefited from the new transfer. I'm happy with it. The audio is also very nice. Piano playing scenes, thunderstorms. It left me satisfied. Beyond that, it was great to revisit a movie I watched a lot of times back in the day, but it had been a while. It holds up.

CV #444298 12/21/21 08:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just got the fam Disney + for the holidays, trying it out for a month so we can get caught up on some Marvel movies we missed.
Finally, a 4k feed for the new setup!

Starting watching the Hawkeye series. A good premise though the supporting actress is playing the same character that she did in Pitch Perfect 3. I despise actors that keep playing the same character type, line delivery regardless of the movie. You end up stereotyping yourself.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
CV #444305 12/24/21 09:12 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm sure part of it is the people making the show liked the way she acted elsewhere, so they asked her to do more of the same. How is the 4K treating you? Remind me, what are you using as your streaming device?

Speaking of Disney+, do they still have Free Solo on there? I ask because there's a good follow-up to that one on Netflix called The Alpinist. The subject of this one is Marc-André Leclerc, who Alex Honnold calls crazy. I'm only halfway through, but it also has me scratching my head why people like this exist.

Page 426 of 434 1 2 424 425 426 427 428 433 434

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters