Re: Home Theatre Atmos Advice
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #445985 08/03/22 04:27 PM
C
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
C
Originally Posted by TrevorM
What are your goals for the room performance wise? Adding lots of big speakers might be a dissapointment given all hard surfaces and tile floor. You might want to allow some budget for a room rework. A 14’ ceiling is going to be a reverb chamber without a plan to reduce decay times.

Pop a balloon. Sound like a boing or zing? Start there.

If this was a client install I would be pushing for stereo EP500s for the LFRs and an ultra short throw projector for a 120” image to cover the fireplace. Cover the lower 2/3 of windows with honeycomb blackout blinds to reduce decay times and treat the back wall with a tapestry. Put diffusers on sidewalls.

Keep it simple. This is a problem room with insane decay times. My vote anyways. smile

Trevor, do you have any experience with acoustic panels and with walls this high? My wife came across these panels as something she wouldn’t be too opposed.

Hambrabi #445986 08/03/22 04:33 PM
C
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
C
Originally Posted by Hambrabi
I was thinking about a short throw projector for that room as well. They're not cost competitive with 85" flatscreens (particularly when you add a light rejecting screen), but there's something to be said about a huge screen.

https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/light-resistant-screens.html

Yes, a very valid point.

I had a 120” screen many years ago and it was lovely. My gut is that going with a projector would be cost prohibitive.

Curved Air #445989 08/03/22 05:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
USTs continue to get better while falling in price. Screens are also falling. So you might want to get that 85" and consider a UST upgrade later.

That's basically what I did a few years ago ... I was temped to by the USTs but went with a nice 77" instead. My thinking was that eventually, if I really wanted something bigger, I'd move the 77" to the bedroom .

rrlev #445991 08/04/22 03:21 AM
C
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
C
Originally Posted by rrlev
USTs continue to get better while falling in price. Screens are also falling. So you might want to get that 85" and consider a UST upgrade later.

That's basically what I did a few years ago ... I was temped to by the USTs but went with a nice 77" instead. My thinking was that eventually, if I really wanted something bigger, I'd move the 77" to the bedroom .

Clearly there is an established upgrade path smile

Currently have a 65” and the original plan was/is to move that to the bedroom and replace it with a nice 77”!

Curved Air #445992 08/04/22 04:10 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
I don't know how y'all live with all this shite in your bedrooms. My bedroom consists of one bed and a closet. Nothing on the walls. All I do there is sleep and change clothes.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #445994 08/04/22 06:08 PM
C
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
C
Originally Posted by Mojo
I don't know how y'all live with all this shite in your bedrooms. My bedroom consists of one bed and a closet. Nothing on the walls. All I do there is sleep and change clothes.

If all I had was a bedroom I might be more inclined along those lines but these “bedrooms” are massive!

Ours is 14’x25’ which is just crazy big as far as I’m concerned.

As such it makes sense to have a couch/tv off to the side where we can watch something while the family has friends over.

It also happens to make the upgrade easier to explain wink

Curved Air #445995 08/04/22 08:18 PM
M
M
Your bedroom is larger than my living room. You need an EP800 in there.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #445997 08/04/22 08:26 PM
C
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
C
Originally Posted by Mojo
Your bedroom is larger than my living room. You need an EP800 in there.
Yeah, that’s not going to fly laugh

Curved Air #446001 08/06/22 10:16 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Originally Posted by Curved Air
What are your goals for the room performance wise? Adding lots of big speakers might be a dissapointment given all hard surfaces and tile floor. You might want to allow some budget for a room rework. A 14’ ceiling is going to be a reverb chamber without a plan to reduce decay times.

Pop a balloon. Sound like a boing or zing? Start there.

If this was a client install I would be pushing for stereo EP500s for the LFRs and an ultra short throw projector for a 120” image to cover the fireplace. Cover the lower 2/3 of windows with honeycomb blackout blinds to reduce decay times and treat the back wall with a tapestry. Put diffusers on sidewalls.

Keep it simple. This is a problem room with insane decay times. My vote anyways. smile

Trevor, do you have any experience with acoustic panels and with walls this high? My wife came across these panels as something she wouldn’t be too opposed.

Seems fine. To increase effectiveness install using method 3 in the details provided in the link. The product you linked does not specify the low frequency effectiveness. Best to back it with roxul as mentioned.

Typically a room is treated so that areas are a mix of diffusion and absorption with bare space between. Be cautious of treating an entire wall if that is your plan. If you plan on ceiling speakers for atmos, consider hanging clouds and mounting speakers in them. These can act as points of visual design interest and also act as absorbers if you lay roxul on top. Less attic penetration that way too.

Plenty of install guides online. Main takeaway is to create a homogeneous space with staggered absorbers/diffusers/bare wall on as much surface as practical. The more surface you treat, the drier the room gets (reducing decay times.) A reproduction space should aim for 300-450 milliseconds. You will be hard pressed to hit the high end of that without substatial effort, but something is definitely better than nothing! smile

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #446008 08/12/22 02:44 AM
C
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
C
Originally Posted by Curved Air

Seems fine. To increase effectiveness install using method 3 in the details provided in the link. The product you linked does not specify the low frequency effectiveness. Best to back it with roxul as mentioned.

Typically a room is treated so that areas are a mix of diffusion and absorption with bare space between. Be cautious of treating an entire wall if that is your plan. If you plan on ceiling speakers for atmos, consider hanging clouds and mounting speakers in them. These can act as points of visual design interest and also act as absorbers if you lay roxul on top. Less attic penetration that way too.

Plenty of install guides online. Main takeaway is to create a homogeneous space with staggered absorbers/diffusers/bare wall on as much surface as practical. The more surface you treat, the drier the room gets (reducing decay times.) A reproduction space should aim for 300-450 milliseconds. You will be hard pressed to hit the high end of that without substatial effort, but something is definitely better than nothing! smile

Thanks Trevor!

I was thinking of method 3 so same page there. Love the idea of ceiling speakers mounted on cloud treatments as well.

Slowly working toward a concrete plan.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,048 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup