Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Connecting cd player to splitter to run 1 speaker.
#44839 05/04/04 03:48 PM
D
domr Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I am only using 1 speaker for my reciever.In order for me to hear both left and right sides of my cd player,I must connect the left and right rca cable output of my cd player into the 2 female ends of the rca splitter,and then the 1 male end of the rca splitter is connected into the cd input of my reciever. Would using a splitter connected to a reciever with 1 speaker eventualy damage my reciever?

I used this splitter for a good 2 weeks on my brand new sony reciever and then when I disconnected the splitter and connected it again(while the volume was on high),my reciever blew a fuse and blew the transmitter. Is is possible that disconnecting and then connecting the splitter caused my reciever to blow?? Or it may be possible that as I was doing this,both female ends of the splitter touched.

Re: Connecting cd player to splitter to run 1 speaker.
#44840 05/04/04 04:56 PM
shareholder in the making
domr,

was the receiver on while you were connecting things? That's a big no-no.

Also, combining two channels into one will increase the input signal above the line level that the receiver is expecting, but I doubt it's enough to cause damage.

#44841 05/04/04 07:27 PM
D
domr Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Yes the reciever was on and at very high volume(actually,the cd player was connected to the input of an equalizer and the equalizer output was connected to a splitter and the splitter was connected to the input of my reciever).I disconnected the splitter and then reconnected it within a few seconds and then it blew.One week before this happened,I disconnected the splitter and reconnected it with my cdr connected to my equalizer(while the reciever was on at high volume)and the front panel of my reciver displayed a "protection" warning and the reciever turned off for a minute.(but did not blow).But the reciever blew a fuse and the transmitter when I tried this again one week later.I never had this problem with my old reciever when removing the splitter but only encountered a problem with my new sony reciever(str-de695).I wonder if its the splitter causing this.

Last edited by domr; 05/04/04 07:29 PM.
#44842 05/04/04 07:33 PM
It's not the splitter necessarily -- it can happen while connecting ANYTHING while the unit is powered. At least turn the volume all the way down before connecting anything.

It sounds like you temporarily shorted an input, which caused full current to fly through your receiver. The first time, that caused it to go into protection mode. The second time, it blew a fuse.

#44843 05/05/04 01:18 AM
veteran
veteran
Ah hey, I thought initially that he was giving a go at *powering* a single speaker with only a cd-player, via a hacked-off, bare-wire splitter-- I.e. take the ends of the Y, hack them off and strip the wire a bit, then wrap the bare wires into the speaker terminals.

I've seen it done. It worked (not too much volume). But I've never done it myself-- has anyone here actually done this?

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044