Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: AXIOMS arrived today!!!!!!! Need help...
#45893 05/13/04 09:22 PM
aficionado
aficionado
That's good. You know that is not the problem. You also stated that you could hear them fine with DVD movies right?
I'll check my own receiver (I have the 601 when I get home), but that won't be until 7:30PM PST.
BigJohn might be able to help you out sooner though.
How do you have the DVD Player hooked up to the receiver? Digital? RCA connectors?
What type of music media are you listening too? CD, DVDA, SACD?
Is it possible that the cables you need for surround left and surround right are not plugged in or not plugged in properly (for music)?
Is there a setting on the DVD that you need to check to set which connection to the receiver to use for different types of music/video?

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#45894 05/13/04 09:29 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
thats a great idea to eliminate if its the receiver or the dvd player..

also, put it on tuner, and see if the radio plays out of all the speakers.. if the radio comes from all speakers in the "all channel stereo" mode, or the "neo6" mode, then you know it m8ust be something in how the dvd player is hooked up.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#45895 05/13/04 09:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Oooh. Nice all BigJohn. I had not thought of that.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#45896 05/14/04 01:02 AM
cocheex Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
i now have sound coming from my surrounds in all modes, thanks all. but the surround doesn't have that "kick butt" surround if you know what i mean, it seems kinda week. the fronts and center seem to be doing all the work and i dont have that 'sound coming from all angles' feeling... is there something i need to do to get the surrounds to do their job so to say....

#45897 05/14/04 01:07 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Hmmm. I don't know that I would say my surrounds ever gave me a kick butt feeling, but maybe I don't understand your meaning. Can you describe what you mean by "kick butt"? Also, have you configured everything with an SPL and a test disc?
For the most part what really kicks butt about my surrounds is that I think I hear a bird chirping up and to my left. Or I duck because a bullet just zinged past my head. Or I feel like I'm smack dab in the middle of a Midwestern Thunderstorm.

jr

#45898 05/14/04 01:21 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I think most people are confused by the impact of surround speakers... they're the most expensive piece of the puzzle (minus the sub) and yet they're the least present - in fact, if you realize they're there they're not doing their job - but take them away and you don't feel as much a part of the action.

Try "All Speaker Stereo" for a while, you'll hear them all you want, and when you get tired of hearing them, choose a DSP that puts them back in their supporting role and you'll appreciate them more.

Bren R.

#45899 05/14/04 01:22 AM
cocheex Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
thats what im talking about, that look over your shoulder feeling or that hearing sound behind you like your talking about. thats what i mean by kick butt, maybe bad choice of words but basically turn your head and make you look type deal... i configured all speakers with a spl meter to 80 whatever (not sure db, mhz, etc...). should i configure the surrounds different???

#45900 05/14/04 01:22 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Once you get the calibration done with the SPL meter, I think you'll find all is right with the world. James R hit it squarely - the surrounds aren't there to kick butt, that's what the fronts and the sub deliver. The surrounds are there to give you a really good dose of ambient sound.

Your ears can't do the job an SPL meter can. When properly calibrated, you won't really hear each speaker. Rather, you will find the audio wash over you from everywhere. THAT'S what makes the Qs so special. Take a deep breath, don't get anxious - you have only had the speakers for a few hours. Take the time to calibrate and your experience with these things will begin to amaze you.

Aside - we may have to start referring to you as "Dr. bigjohn." Very nice guided tour you provided for cocheex. . On the other hand, I suspect my future input may go unheeded. Who listens to the advice of a 250 lb. Tick???

#45901 05/14/04 01:28 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Ok, it sounds like you are moving in the right direction. The other thing to consider is the DD or DTS mix you are listening too. Some of them kinda suck and others make you go WOW.
Bourne Identity, Finding Nemo, Saving Private Ryan, Titan AE, any Star Wars Movie... These are just a few that others (and myself) on the board have enjoyed the surround mix of or been especially impressed with.

jr

#45902 05/14/04 05:38 AM
T
buff
buff
T
Now how was that for help? Talking about a 911 call and having all that help and of course it would not be complete without the sly Axiom sarcasm.

Semper Fi

Semper Fi 88-97
DI 94-96
Good night CHESTY where ever you are!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484