Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Marantz MM-9000
#51052 07/01/04 01:27 AM
axiomite
axiomite
My pleasure. You have unsuspected depths, John! Cripes! The whole thing confused me, and I wrote it.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#51053 07/02/04 08:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
i have one, and i Fn love it... i will probably buy another one, pretty soon (getting more speakers for my HT... long story.. anyhow, i can not hear any noticeable distortion at all... 0.... this amp is as clean as the 2000$ amps i have in my car.... yeah.. im an audio video freak.... dvd player in the car, with dts surround sound, and a killer HT.. i think?... anyhow back to the topic at hand, this unit can not be beat, i was thinking about buying a krell amp, when i was in the market for amps. but hell, for the money, i could not pass this amp up, sure a krell would have been Fn sweet... but i dont know that the difference in sound quality would have been that great, and the cost between the 2 units would have been HUGE.... sense you already bought it.. your stuck with it, and honestly, i dont think you will have any bad things to say about the unit, once you get it either... like the others of us that own one.... the distortion on this amp, is the lowest distortion out of about 300 amps that i was looking at, the only amp that came close "on paper" was the krell... but again were talking HUGE bucks... and for some speakers that cost 3k... i dont think i want to spend 6-10k on an amp.... god that's kinda long winded just to say that this amp kicks A$$? eh?

youll be happy, bottom line.

#51054 07/02/04 08:29 PM
old hand
old hand
I have a stupid question too. Why would both of the rear surrounds in this case be the same? Even if there was a 7.1 discrete source. Does it have something to do with having some of the signal go out the pre outs and some go out through the receiver? Just wondering. Not that I'm any where near having a 7.1 set up with an external amp.

But I can dream!

#51055 07/04/04 07:42 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for the feedback guys! I have the amp now and will be hooking it up on Sunday and will post back. As for how much, I picked it for $500.00 off of Audiogon.

#51056 07/04/04 10:41 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Well I got it all set-up and you guy's are right, it's a nice amp. I find that with most amps the sound doesn't change all that much but I do hear little things. The biggest thing I noticed with this amp is it has great control over the bottom end. For $500.00 bucks I can't go wrong. I'm not sure on how it will fit into my current set-up but it's staying!

#51057 07/04/04 10:43 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
One thing I forgot to mention is that I upgraded the power cord to a Maple Audio. It's one of the few cord upgrades I buy into as I can hear the change. The factory one was ok but the Maple makes it that much better!

#51058 07/05/04 04:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
its 3 phase ac... the power cord will not make much of a difference... no matter how much you want it to.... trust me on this one... the only thing it can change, is the resistance of the wire, but you still have the resistance of the outlet, and the wire inside of the wall. you spent $$$ on a 3-6 foot cord, which is high dollar, when you have crap wire inside of your wall ( or did you pay 50$ a foot for high grade wire to be strung from the circuit breaker to your amp outlet?)..... so from the junction pole, to the outlet, you have crap industrial wire, then from the outlet, to your amp, you have really nice wire... you think that 3 feet of wire you have is going to make up for the 100+' of cheep industrial wire you have inside of your walls? I'm not trying to bash on you here, just think it out logically…. Where do you think the electricity comes from, that you get at your wall outlet, and how much resistance do you think the wall outlet, to nice wire offers. Several hundred ohms at least… just another gimmick to get you to spend more money on something you don’t need….. but then again I cant say too much, I have monster cable M1 speaker wire going to my M60’s…. but that is after the signal has been amplified… probably a waist, but at least the wire looks nice

yes, I know alot about electricity, and amplifiers. ect..

#51059 07/05/04 07:57 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Dam it man, lay off the coffee! :-) Just ribbing ya!

Yes I have exactly 12 feet of dedicated AC wire going to my HT set-up from a dedicated breaker. I have exactly 40 feet running outside to the box. No poles here! I can go on about the additional steps I took on the AC side of my HT set-up when I built my house including a SPS that powers down my equipment verus it just going click in the event of a power failure and a MOV (Metal-Oxide Varistor) at the line in but I'm not sure it would do any good as you seem convinced and that's cool. I can hook up as many amps as I like and will never see the lights dim etc. I have never heard a ground hum, pop or any other power related problem. I have never had a surge or spike effect the operation of any of my equipment. We get a few of them out here that go well past the standard 2.5 seconds. Everything in my system is dead quite. Let's just say I have never thought it was money wasted. Everything is hospital grade and above and if hospitals require it by code there must be something to it.

A good bud of mine is an electrical engineer for one of our local hospitals and he was kind enough to install all of my electrical. I disagree that AC power has no bearing on the end result only by what people in the electrical engineering side of things have told me. I'm not an electrician and can't argue one point or another on this I'm just passing along what others have said who are not audio people, just electricians and electrical engineers. Do I need a $2500.00 line conditioner? no but having clean and stable power can't be a bad thing.

#51060 07/05/04 09:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I installed a dedicated 20 and 15 amp circuit for my system. Both have isolated grounds from the house. I have a panamax 5300 for the 15 amp circuit and the panamax 4400 for the 20 amp circuit (for my amplifiers).

Most audio equipment is designed to operate at specific tolerances + - . You should be fine with the circuits your friend installed.
Someone said something about 3 Phase???? I don't understand.. Most residential electrical systems are single phase unless you own a renovated warehouse.

Anyway,power conditioners are nice if you have noise problems. It doesn't sound like you do.
Also, I'm an electrical engineer (actually a past life). Now I'm an IT professional, go figure.

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#51061 07/05/04 09:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
ac power does have a lot to do with it.. for audio purposes you want as constant ac voltage as possible, so the amp can convert the ac to dc... not many people do what you spent the time to do... running good wire, from your outside line, to the inside.... hospital grade is good... i deal with nuclear grade electronics everyday... so you did the right thing by talking to your electrician buddy.. seems that he hooked you up pretty good, the line conditioners, you only need those if you have crappy ac power going into your house… and if your in a large city, you shouldn’t have those problems….

So, HOW DO YOU LIKE THE AMP already

enought with the eletrical bs.... hows tha amp???!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup