Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Importance of quality surrounds.
#55991 07/28/04 07:59 PM
eagle05 Offline OP
OP Offline
In the past I was always under the impression that the quality of surrounds (and in turn the $ spent on surrounds)was not real important because of the nature of what is sent to the surrounds (ie sounds as opposed to full range music).

Surround speakers it seems are comparably priced or even higher than the cost of the M22's. I have a pair of M22's on the way now and plan to use my existing bookshelves (15 year old Polk's) as surrounds, at least for the time being. I would like to hear some opinions over what I will be missing by using these instead of speakers specifically designed for surround such as the QS4 or 8's. I know, the first response is try it and see, but I need to concentrate my $'s on updating my center channel first.

Re: Importance of quality surrounds.
#55992 07/28/04 08:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
definitely concentrate on that center channel first. The Q series will just give you a fuller, more diffuse soudn field. Certainly, something is better than nothing, and the POlks will do jsut fine back there. In truth, the surrounds do not HAVE to be matched, like your center and mains (because panning isn't as big of a concern). But, very many people prefer well matched surroudn for music applications, and just because having matched surround is better (in theory) than having non matched surrounds.

Save it for the center.

#55993 07/28/04 08:10 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
the surrounds are very important, in my opinion. the surrounds are what creates the 'enveloping' sound that makes HT sound so good.. both the QS4's and 8's are terrific speakers.. depending on your room size and budget, the 4's might be a better fit for you..

with that being said.. if you only have a certain amiunt of money to spend at a time.. and with you having a spare set of polks that are just gonna be laying around.. it would make sense for you to go ahead and get a center, and use the polks til you can get something better.

there is/will be a difference in sound when you go with the QS4's or 8's, but there are other factors to keep in mind.. budget, availibility, etc.. make due with what ya got, and look to upgarde later.. and if you dont have a sub for those M22's, get that before you get a center!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#55994 07/28/04 08:21 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
We had some discussion about this topic recently (after the mains, get a sub or a center or surrounds next?).

I think bigjohn is right; especially if you have the Polks for surrounds already, I would get a decent sub before either the center or new surrounds. You can always "phantom" the center channel.

More on-topic, however, surround processing has changed dramatically over the last 15 years. In the old Dolby Pro Logic system, the surround channels were neither discrete nor full range. Nowadays, (Dolby Digital Surround, et al), the surround channels are mixed very specifically. It can be a very rich experience!

Can you get by and enjoy a new setup with the Polks as surrounds? Absolutely! AND I really adore the QS8's. They sound wonderful, and provide a very enveloping movie experience that, to me, in my listening environment, cannot be matched by direct-radiating surround speakers.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#55995 07/28/04 08:23 PM
eagle05 Offline OP
OP Offline
I was reading an earlier thread that got a bit heated about which to buy first the sub or the center. I don't need to open that debate again because I actually have a powered sub already. I also have a current center channel, however the center is an old Infinity model that I will need to replace with the matching Axiom.

#55996 07/28/04 08:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Apologies to you Eagle. We had a newbie troll who got things going all over the place. That's why things got as heated as they did in the other thread. You might notice that all his posts are gone now. Thankfully.

Th others have said it well. Use you Polks until you can pick up the 4s or the 8s. I heartily recommend that you do so in the future. I cannot tell you how wonderful my QS8s are. I've had two different fellows come over recently to listen my Axioms. They were complimentary about them all, but they waxed poetic about the QS8s. They do a wonderful job.

Since you already have the sub, by all means go for the center first. Then you can replace the sub and surrounds when you are able.

Nice to have you here.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#55997 07/28/04 10:20 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
I agree with the "center first" recommendations. I should also add that the QS8s are the unsung heroes in my setup. They additional (ambient) audio they produce is still surprising to me. I had some old Boston Acoustics I replaced with the Qs and the difference is stark. Your plan will work and you should look forward to the delayed purchase of the Qs.

Why am I telling you all of this? Have you considered getting the center and/or surrounds from the factory store? Could save you some $$ and hasten your purchase to grat audio.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,482
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 999 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup