Print Thread
Rate Thread
OT: Computer speakers question help
#58092 08/19/04 07:55 PM
James_T Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I am hoping I can either get an answer to the question or advice on how I can find out the answer myself.

I have the klipsch promedia 4.1 for use with my PC. This is the first edition that has a total of 400watts (RMS) power. 200 for the sub and 4x50 for the 4 satellites. It was later revised to 4x80 and the sub at 80 (the one in the link).
I wonder if I can use the Klipsch sub/amp to power a pair of or two pairs of M2s until I can (piecemeal) get a cheap 5.1 receiver to use instead. Wiring from the sub to the M2s would not be a problem (there are no proprietary connections), but I wonder/worry about there being enough power.
So my question would be “How do I find out if the sub/amp can push enough juice to the M2s”? Would it be a good idea to get or borrow some speakers to test it first?

Is there anyone out there who has a setup similar to what I am thinking of?

Also, I wonder if anyone is already using a 5.1 receiver and an Audigy 2ZS for their PC gaming/movie/goodness. If so, how do you have it connected? Digital out? Some from of jerry-rigged wiring? Are there any cheap-o receivers for this duty that anyone would recommend?

jr

Maybe I’m just looking for an excuse to buy more speakers from Axiom….

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
Re: OT: Computer speakers question help
#58093 08/20/04 12:02 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I was thinking of purchasing that card in the very near future, and have previously connected a sound card to a 5.1 system. In order to get the true 5.1 from the audigy, you'll need to use the digital out. You can get an 1/8 inch to dual-rca cable though and run it analog, but you'd lose the 5.1 aspect. When I upgrade my reciever (End of year hopefully) I'm going to bump the old one back to my computer system. As for the klipsch I don't know what to tell you other than hook it up to some (similarly rated) cheapo speakers and see if it pushes them. My guess is that it's not 50 "true watts" per channel.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#58094 08/21/04 02:17 AM
regular
regular
Hi! (this is my first post here) =D

If you want to hook your soundcard to a receiver, you'll need a receiver with 5.1 analog inputs. If you use the digital input, DD/DTS streams will play fine in 5.1 but EAX games will only play in PCM stereo. Soundstorm onboard has a realtime DD encoder, so you can use this with a digital input and you'll get 5.1 from EVERY source just fine.

IRC: The Promedia's sats are 4ohms. A few users have replaced their Klipsh Ultra sats with RSX-4's, which are 8ohm speakers and havn't had any problems. You'll just need to make sure their close in timbre.

If you need any more help, the kind people at www.sharkyforums.com or www.3dss-forums.com or http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/ can help ya out.

#58095 08/24/04 06:34 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Oh No! It's the hippo from my nightmares! Haha, sup Soupnazi, it's Jago DVC-Jago from 3dss. Welcome to the Axiom forums!

#58096 08/27/04 03:41 AM
regular
regular
Hey Dvc! Thanks for the welcome!=D Where's the pancake rabbit?

I wonder what's going on with 3dss. (doesn't work for me)

#58097 08/27/04 05:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
hey soup, definately welcome...as someone who is looking into that card the info is quite useful to me as well. Seems you've got some experience with it. I will have to check out those forums when I get some time.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#58098 08/27/04 07:51 PM
regular
regular
Thanks ringmir! Hope to see ya there.

What type of receiver/speakers do you have? (just curious)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044