Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Streem
#60216 09/10/04 12:03 AM
old hand
old hand
Same here. I built my audio and video system a piece at a time over the last 6 yrs. Heck I still like my speakers it's just time to upgrade again. That's why I'm interested in the m80s.

#60217 09/10/04 12:08 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I agree with Spiff here.I've been building my system for a number of years now and finally have it to where I am completly satisfied.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#60218 09/10/04 02:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

finally have it to where I am completly satisfied.

Some day's I wish I could get to that point. Save me a lot of time and money! :-)

Re: Build a Better System
#60219 09/10/04 08:34 PM
M
MarkB Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
I might go the other route. I might fix the mains I have now, get a new receiver, a center and some bookshelf's. With some new foam, my mains will sound quite good. Even though they're 16 years old and swimming at the bottom of the "high-end" pool, they sound much better than my neighbor's 1-year-old Digm Monitors. Out of the box, his were much better. One year later, mine are. Go figure.

I've actually come around full circle. I wasn't considering a Boston system due to the cost and the fact that I wanted to try something different. But if I've decided to spend more, then Boston comes back into the mix. I like their sound. They have a clear high end that isn't harsh. All I have to do is take the treble down a half-notch on my tuner, and they're fine. They're not a "fashionable" brand, and most people have never heard them, but they are quality. Only problem is they don't sell direct (I think) so finding a dealer in my area could prove challenging.

Since the mains are the most expensive component by far, I can wait and save for them. Then I might be able to afford better mains in the long run, which will vastly improve the overall sound. And Boston has a good selection of mains to choose from at different price points.

Axiom v. Boston Acoustics. Mmmmm.... Sounds interesting. And a fairer match-up than Axiom v. Streem. Now we're comparing apples to apples, baby.

Let the games begin!

#60220 09/10/04 10:01 PM
devotee
devotee
This is getting old. How about you audition the Axioms and see how you feel about them. Then come back and give your feelings. Otherwises it will be vs. this vs. that when you don't have a foundation for what you are talking about due to the fact that you have not even listened to the Axiom brand in the first place. Seems like you are doing a hell of a lot of homework without even reading the material. Like we have ALL recomended, audition the axiom brand. Sorry to sound harsh, this subject just seems to go around and around and around.

#60221 09/10/04 10:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah I would have to agree. If your reallly looking at them, try them. We seem to spend a ton of time going around and around with you but every other day you bring up a new brand. I must admit that I have done it to but it's only 2 brands. Axiom and Monitor Audio. I like em both and own them both and it's a problem.

Just give them a shot and if you don't like them, send them back. The little money it will cost you to ship them back is peanuts when you look at the bigger picture.

#60222 09/11/04 07:24 PM
M
MarkB Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Quote: "Seems like you are doing a hell of a lot of homework without even reading the material."

That was the WHOLE point, for me at least, from the beginning. I don't want to -- or can't -- audition a whole bunch of brands before I buy. My goal was to examine the entire market and narrow the field as much as possible BEFORE I audition anything. You know -- research. Why else would I venture into hostile territory like this? This has helped me hash out a lot of things, thinking out loud, re-evaluating what I want, etc. I was at am impasse. Hell, I was considering only 2-channel stereo when I first came here, but not anymore.

Sorry, but there's a lot of competition on the market. Axiom isn't the only "material" out there. Whatever I audition, I already want to know it's probably the best system for me in terms of sound vs. cost going in.

I didn't force anyone to reply to this thread or any other. I came here as an alternative method of seeking information. That's all. Now I feel I have almost all of the information I need to make the right decision. That was my whole point in my coming here, and it worked for the most part.

I'm not going to start a Boston v. Axiom thread now. I don't want to see Axiom get its butt kicked on its own board.

Just kidding.

#60223 09/11/04 08:00 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
And so it begins again.... (with these last 3 posts)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#60224 09/11/04 08:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
The BA's are nice. I've sold quite few to customers. That's what I do. I'm a HT and home automation integrator. I play the salesman role quit a bit and am good at it.
Since I’m a part time salesman you probably don’t want to know how awesome the Axiom’s are, they kick ass. I wouldn’t waste my time or your time if I didn’t think the Axiom’s where this good, In fact I wouldn’t even be on this message board jeopardizing my job.

Anyway, I know how it is to “research” speakers. It’s actually a lot fun listening to the different flavors that are available. It’s like free ear candy. The hard part is deciding what the tastiest brand is. I took a chance with the Axiom brand because the people here are very educated and know their audio very well; I determined this after six months of visiting this board anonymously.

So enjoy your journey for the perfect speaker. It’s supposed to be fun.

Tom

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#60225 09/11/04 10:59 PM
devotee
devotee
I agree with tleigh and I also agree with you MarkB in the fact that it is very important to do research on the items you are interested in. My point was that anyone can do a heck of a lot of reading about any item and get Pro's from anyone. What I am trying to convey is that we all agree there are tons of speakers out there and I would say that almost all of the people out there that have purchased Axiom are extreemly happy with their choice. You will never get a feeling for a speaker without hearing it. I am sorry if you feel this is "hostile". We all really want to help you make a decision that you will be 100% happy with. Personally, the Axioms are not a whole lot of money when you think about it. I think that you have a very good feeling for the brand and have gotten some great feedback on this and other brands so I do not think you will be going out on a limb or break the bank by getting some and again, return them if you don't like them. I hope, whatever way you go, that you are happy with it.

As I mentioned before you may want to go on www.av123.com to view another web based speaker (Rocket) and chat on their site to get a feel for the Axioms and other brands. That way you can take what you get in "Hostile" terrotory and see if it all matches up. Another site that is very good to chat on is www.outlawaudio.com. They sell amps and subs but they have great people there to give advice. Good luck..

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters