Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Disgruntled Bose Owner Seeks Axiom Setup Advic
#61821 09/25/04 01:43 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I had some of the same symptoms when my sub was turned up a bit too high (d'oh !!).

If you haven't already tried this, can you try running with the sub powered off and the mains set to "large" ?

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Re: Disgruntled Bose Owner Seeks Axiom Setup Advice
#61822 09/25/04 02:01 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I just got done listening to BB and although the album isn't terrible, it isn't very refined especially in direct comparison to Aerosmith's Greatest Hits. The soundstage is big and imaging isn't bad as far as placing instruments, but the drum rolls weren't very crisp, the guitar riffs were just kind of muffled together, and it just isn't as smooth and engaging as Aerosmith is. I'd recommend Trapt and Pepper for two rock bands that kick ass and also sound good through Axioms. They definitely sound better through Axioms than BB.

#61823 09/25/04 04:05 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Thanks player8. I haven't listened to Trapt on the Axioms yet, so I'll give that a whirl tonight. I'm listening to BB Saturate now. It must be our different speakers, cause everything sounds very detailed on the 80's. Track 9, Phase sounds wicked cool when the tight drums start in the beginning. About the only thing that's not really detailed is the cymbals, or maybe too detailed, it's hard to describe. It's just a tad too much. Another good song I like to listen to, is Pink Floyd, Time. I can sit in front of the speakers and crank it (making sure all the doors and windows are shut, haahaha). I love the clocks, and then the roll into the drums.

Later, time to hit the kegerator for a refill.......mike

#61824 09/25/04 06:05 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Ok, so I calibrated all of my speakers, including the sub and things definitley sound better, a lot better. But here is where I still have a concern... To get my system to what I consider a "theater" level of sound, I have my receiver turned up to 70 out of 75(max) when watching 'The Last Samurai' final battle sequence. I can turn it up to max and really not even have it be what I would consider too loud. This is a little disturbing since my old speakers (which were pretty good but not great) would never go above 60 without being ear drum shattering.

So does this mean that I might need an amplifier because these speakers are just too beefy for my receiver? I'm not averse to that, I just would have thought that what I already have was enough to power these. Any thoughts, opinions appreciated!

BTW, part of the earlier problem was definitely a sub that was not properly calibrated and thus I didn't turn the entire stereo up loud enough to get the effect I wanted.

Epic 50 HT w/ QS8's, Denon 2805
#61825 09/25/04 06:15 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Love the avatar. "But there's an evil monkey in my closet, Dad!"

I really hesitate to say this (don't want to offend!), but you may want to add an outboard amp if the reciever has pre-outs, or replace the receiver. Unfortunately, Sony tends to inflate its specs quite a lot (for example, that 100 watt power rating is probably from a single channel driven, as opposed to all channels driven.) My H/K 525 rated at 70 wpc all channels driven pushes my M50s/QS4s pretty loud. I don't think I generally listen at reference levels, but I'm sure I could put it up to them and be around -10 or -5 (the receiver goes to +15).

Your old speakers were probably very efficient.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#61826 09/25/04 06:17 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I'll start a potential fire here. There are quite a few folks here who maintain that there really shouldn't be that much difference among receivers. I agree with that to a point. Once you get to a certain price/quality level, that's probably true. But I used to have a $300 Sony and upgraded to a $650 Marantz, and the difference was astonishing. The Sony always seemed like it was struggling. On the occasions when my Marantz isn't errupting into a fireball, there's nothing but headroom and pure, clean sound.

It sounds like you're probably pushing the Sony too hard. Why, I don't know. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with a more coherent explanation/recommendation.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#61827 09/25/04 07:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
dmn,
I agree completely. There may be nothing sonically very different in the way of sound "quality" between receivers. I'm sure that Sony sounds just like an Onkyo or a Denon when played at 65dB all at the same distance. However, there could be a physical difference in how far the receiver can be pushed, how well its power handling with a certain set of speakers really is beyond the listed specs, and this can make an audible difference.
It is purely power related though.
Let's take that Sony labeled 100w per ch unit, divide it by 5 speakers, plus whatever other power functions the receiver requires....how many watts are really left to power the speakers? The previously posted chart on sustained power output is a perfect example of how there is a difference (huge difference) between a/v receiver brands and within brand models under real world conditions of load!

I would never push a receiver to more than 85% of its max capability. Beyond that you could be risking clipping. If Spooky's receiver can be pushed w/o relative loudness to near max. volume, then yes, i completely agree he needs to consider purchasing an outboard amp or another beefier receiver, especially one aleady noted for its strong power capability (eg. the Denon 28xx, 38xx, etc. series).
There is still that point you reach where nothing will get your speakers any louder though. At that point, you need to buy larger speakers if you want a louder SPL output. For our home system, i cannot get the Axiom M60s beyond 105dB (10 foot distance) without risking potential clipping. This is using a separate amp. Our much larger Tannoys can hit 110. but i have yet pushed their limits
That SPL should be plenty for anyone, but of course some younger lads may like to sit outside on the deck and still hear music at the same level as in the basement. Tsk, tsk.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#61828 09/25/04 08:56 PM
devotee
devotee
I agree with everyone else around here... As for ths sub comments, if you're going to try and make it look pretty, you're not the right person for a sub

If you try and hide a SVS PB2+ from your Wife/Girlfriend you're nuts....As for those Axiom subs, they're nice little boxes, work well, look pretty. SVS's subs are very industrail looking, they convey a feeling of power and presence, even before you turn them on.

As for the Axiom's, look at your budget, if you're really new to all these Axiom has a "Home Theater Wizard" on their site to help you design the perfect system based on your room size, listening sizes, etc.

Good Luck!

- D
"I <3 BigJohn"

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
#61829 09/27/04 04:06 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Well, definitely not the advice I "wanted" to hear, but I don't want to send back a potentially wonderful sound system due to insufficient hardware to power it.

So what I've decided is that I need to upgrade my receiver. Here are the choices that I'm currently considering in my price range...any opinions or additional options are appreciated.

Onkyo TX-NR801 - $750 (high end of my range)
Denon 2805 - $615
Marantz SR7400 - $678

Thanks,
Sam

Epic 50 HT w/ QS8's, Denon 2805
#61830 09/27/04 04:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I suspect the vote for the 2805 will be nearly unanimous. When the time comes to upgrade from my Marantz, I'll probably make the leap to the 2805 or 3805.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020