Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Monster Power Center w/ Axioms?? Recommend?
#68166 11/15/04 04:20 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I am having a home theater consultant install my front PJ system. I just ordered Axiom M60's, QS8's and a 350 recently (working on an SVS sub - any recommondations?). However, the consultant ios recommended the Mosnter HTS 2500 power center...is this something you recommend? It is only $300 and it seems like a fancy surge protector.

Also, how does it exactly work? Is it pretty much something you plug all of your components into, then plug the Monster into the wall? Or do you actually run your A/V wires through it?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Monster Power Center w/ Axioms?? Recommend?
#68167 11/15/04 04:28 PM
shareholder in the making
It's a fancy surge protector, and about $250 more expensive than you need or it should be. You would, in fact, plug your components into it and plug it into the wall. There are people here who vehemently disagree with me, but I say save your money.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#68168 11/15/04 04:43 PM
buff
buff
May be you already have this link http://store.yahoo.com/federalstereo/monmp1.html

There are theories that 'hi end audio' hobbists believe the source of the power has to be 'purify or stay clean' before going to all your equipment. That's why these 'power cneter' come into place vary form hundred to thousand of dollars.

Alan of Axiom may like to his opinion this. Whether you can hear the difference depends on one's training (technically and/or psychologically). Frankly speaking, I could not hear the difference when my friend demonstrated his system while I was on vacation in Hong Kong. May be I'm to old and my ear has lost it sensitivity.

I agree with kcarlile. Save your money. If you want your equipment be protected from power surge, just get the normal power surge bar.

The bottom line is, if you have the money and you feel 'more' satisfy with one more gadget, then go for it.

#68169 11/15/04 04:51 PM
And for gods' sakes, at least give your money to somebody other than Monster...

#68170 11/15/04 04:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Well, I have the 2600 model, and I like it very much. BUT! Ken is right! (Had ya worried, didn't I Ken ). The guy wants you to buy it because it makes him a whole lot of money. It is more expensive than it should be, and you could get by with something that would do the job for a lot less.

If you really like the 2500, you can find it on ebay for as little as $165 plus shipping. I got my 2600 on ebay for about $225, give or take (Crap! I see it's available now for $175. DRAT! Whoops! I see the seller only has 2 feedbacks. I'll pass, thank you)

Now. All that being said, I really do like my 2600. And I consider "because I like it" to be a perfectly valid reason for purchasing anything. I do NOT fool myself into thinking it makes a difference in the way my system sounds, nor do I fool myself into thinking that I needed to spend that much in order to provide adequate protection for my system.

Here's what I like, in no particular order of importance.

1. It looks good (cool). Lots of pretty lights.
2. It has lots of inputs, 10 to be exact. (6 unswitched, 2 switched, and 2 timed) Timed inputs are great if you have a separate amp. A timed input enables you to turn on your your electronics (preamp/TV/DVD/etc) first, and then your Amp. That reverses when you're turning your equipment off. This prevents any "pops" from going to your speakers when the electronics turn on and off. I happen to have BFD between my receiver and my sub, with the sub plugged into a timed input. The BFD turns on first, and off last. No "thumps' from the subwoofer.
3. It is a GOOD surge protector, with something like $400,000 connected equipment guarantee which gives me peace of mind.

So, to me, it's worth it. But, you can get adequate protection for a whole lot less.

Some, like our own JohnK, don't believe in surge protection at all. John's philosophy is that a lightning strike that destroys your equipment is Mother Nature's way (or God's way, depending on your religious bent) of telling you it's time to upgrade.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#68171 11/15/04 07:14 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Get to Home Depot or Radio Shack. Look for a surge protector that is rated at 2900 joules and has some connectors for phones & coax. Monster protection without the Monster price. What else is this guy trying to oversell you?

#68172 11/15/04 11:46 PM
local
local
Ditto, I think "Monster" is a "marketing" joke. I have seen equal and better cables / accessories for much less. Put the extra 80% overcharge to someting you will ACTULLY hear and benefit from. There are better ways to spend your money.

Last edited by joninflorida; 11/15/04 11:47 PM.

Sunfire amps & processor Sammy 50" Crown amp 2-SVS SS Maple Ultras, Axiom 60s,22s,150cc, QS8s
#68173 11/16/04 12:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
DOOOOOODe... those line conditioners and such, are complete bull sh*&.... I’m in the power business, and the ONLY way that one of those would help you out, is if your local power companies power plant started generating "DIRTY" power, which is total bull sh*& anyhow, because the power that you receive at your house, is a freaking clean 60hz, at 120-220v at your house... the electrical distribution gird in the us is rock solid, and there is COMPLETLY no reason for you to spend the money on that crap... if your house was receiving ac at maybe a range of 50-70hz, on a regular basis then it would be worth it, but frankly that doesn’t happen. Just get your self a high amp breaker, and have an electrician install it, and run your audio equipment into the breaker, with a serge protector, and you will be fine. I have my audio equipment hooked up to a 20amp fuse, and I have blown the fuze before… that’s a pretty good amount of freaking power, and well, the music and picture quality when I blew the fuse was as good as when I was at a much lower power consumption….

All those monster cable “line conditioners” are is basically a capacitor bank. To keep the voltage at a constant value, which the freaking power company is doing for you anyhow, also, keep in mind, your home audio gear is designed to operate on a certain range of voltages ect, think about it, the people that design the audio equipment know that there are going to be some fluctuations in the voltage that your gear is going to be able to receive, and they have compensated for it… at least for a 3000$ retail amp, the damn designers better have… grr….

I hope that this has helped you.. but honestly there is no need for you to spend the money on such equipment, like the others have said, it is just basically one more piece of equipment for people to buy and “think their music sounds better” spend that 300$ on a better quality projector screen, or a better receiver/amp….

#68174 11/16/04 05:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Monster who? All marketing BS! If your bound and determined to spend a bunch of money in that area, at least buy something decent:
http://www.richardgrayspowercompany.com/products/index.html

#68175 11/16/04 06:55 AM
Yer gonna be spending a leetle bit more money for the Richard Grey stuff than the Monster. Which, in my book, makes it MORE of a ripoff. To each his own, though...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters