Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Speaker array for surrounds on a 5.1 setup
#70197 12/01/04 07:07 PM
rabrant Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I am looking into setting up a home theater system for my first time. I need to learn as much as I can before I dive into this task, so bare with me.

I have decided that I am going to use a speaker array using the M22Ti speakers... It would be an array of two. The M22Ti power rating is from 10-200 Watts at 8 Ohms. By having two in parallel, how much power would I need to pump into it? I would suppose that I would need 400 Watts per channel.

I'm new to home theater installation, and I don't want to muck anything up. So, I was wondering if anybody could tell me the difference between a Pre-Amp and an Amp... Don't they do the same thing?

Also, if a reciever has a 110 Watt amplifier built in, and a 200 Watt amplifier (or would it be pre-amp???) is connected would that make 310 Watts?

As you can see I am new to this. Any direction on this via websites and documentation of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

Brant

Re: Speaker array for surrounds on a 5.1 setup
#70198 12/01/04 07:26 PM
shareholder in the making
Um.... What do you mean by speaker array? You don't need to connect two M22s per channel to get good sound. In fact, it will probably be worse. If you need more sound for your room, you should look at M50s, 60s, or 80s.

The wattage rating on speakers is inconsequential. It means only that the speaker will make sound at the bottom of the range, and will not explode at the top of the range.

A preamp switches sources (ie, CD player, DVD player, etc.) and does processing on the signal. An amplifier amplifies the signal. You need both.

No. You'd be connecting the amplifier to the pre-outs on the reciever, which bypasses the receivers amplification circuit (which is a good thing--you wouldn't want to put a 110 watt signal into a port that normally accepts a milliwatt signal!)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#70199 12/01/04 07:36 PM
veteran
veteran
When running speakers in parallel, the impedence is reduced. In your case, 8 ohms to 4 ohms. So the amp wattage really doesn't matter as much as it's ability to drive a consistant 4 ohm load. You'll need a good quality amp.

A pre-amp is basically a processor...you hook all your components (CD, DVD, TV, phono, cassette, 8-track, etc.) into the pre-amp. You then select the source thru the pre-amp. It then sends the signal (unamplified) to the amps, which are connected to your speakers. An "integrated" amp has both the pre-amp and amp in the same unit. These are the most common. Around here, you will find people use integrated amps from Harmon-Kardon, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc.

No...in order to connect another amplifier, you would have to use the pre-amp outputs on amp 1. This signal carries no usable wattage. The signal is then amplified by amp 2.

#70200 12/01/04 07:45 PM
veteran
veteran
Rabrant,

Welcome to the forum, I am sure that we can get you sorted out and on your way. There are a lot of nice, knowledgeable people that hang out here.
For a decent, upgradeable (believe me it will happen) 5.1 system you will need:

2 main speakers, let us know your room size and listening tastes and we can point you in the right direction. Let's assume a pair of M22's for now.

A center channel speaker - the majority of the movie sound (especially dialog) comes from here. I would suggext the VP150 as it is a good speaker and should not require an upgrade for a long time.

2 rear/side surround speakers for ambient effects - rear or side depending on your room setup. The Axiom QS8 speaker is recognized as one of the best surround speakers available for the price (and more).

A subwoofer - very important for the low frequncy range, especially for movies. Axiom, HSU, and SVS are favorites of most forum members.

A reciever - switches between inputs (cd, dvd, cable etc) applies processing (Dolby, DTS, etc) and amplifies the signals that are sent out to the speakers. A 7.1 channel system is advisable (for future upgrades), as is a system which allows you to bypass the internal power amp section and use an external poweramp in the future.

DVD/CD player - there are many good, affordable universal players available which will last you a while. Many also support the new multi channel SACD and DVD-A formats.

Cables - digital for between you DVD player and receiver, speaker cables (Axiom bulk cable is excellent) etc.

Well, that should give you some information to get you started. Any informatin on your room, budget etc will help us to help you.

Welcome to a fun hobby.

#70201 12/01/04 08:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
PREAMPLIFIER: Audio component that adjusts the volume of an low-level audio signal and performs switching functions between attached input devices (DVD player, Cable box, etc.) and an amplifier or group of amplifiers. (A preamplifier is also called a processor, or a Pre-Pro {from PREamplifier, and PROcessor})

AMPLIFIER: Electronic component that accepts a low-level signal and recreates the signal with more power; this term is most often used in audio/video to describe an audio component which takes in line-level audio signals through interconnect cables and outputs a high-powered replica of the input in order to drive speakers and create sound.

INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER: Audio component combining the elements of an amplifier with those of a preamplifier, but not containing a tuner. (Making an integrated amplifier different from a receiver which does contain a tuner.)

TUNER: Tuners are primarily used for FM and AM radio reception.

RECEIVER: Combination, in one component, of an amplifier, preamplifier, and tuner.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#70202 12/02/04 02:25 AM
rabrant Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Thank you for your direction... As you can tell I'm new to this. I want to do as much research as possible before I start to build a home theater.

I know speaker placement is one key player in the sound quality. A friend of mine told me that you should use all of the same model speaker so that the frequency responce would be the same for the entire setup. He also said that two or four subwoofers should be used. Placement should be either Front/Rear Center, Left/Right Center or both. He was also the one who mentioned a speaker array for the surrounds instead of a surround speaker.

Take a look at the side walls of a movie theater, they use a speaker array, so why shouldn't I?

What I want is a home theater that directly matches the director/producers intent for the sound. There is a catch to this, it's called a budget!!!

Thanks again for your help!

#70203 12/02/04 03:35 AM
Um, is your friend made of money? If so, this is going to take an arm and a leg. If not, um...

4 subwoofers? Good lord! What size room are you doing this in?

A good bi, di, or quadpolar speaker (such as the QS4 or QS8) from Axiom should take care of most surround needs in conventional sized HT rooms (ie, not an auditorium) If you desire more surround, consider 7.1 with bi/di/quad on the sides and mono/bi/di/quad on the back, despending on your preferences.

Most people in charge of mixing DVDs are well aware that they will be shown in the home; mostly on 5.1 setups with the occasional 6.1s, 7.1s, and really esoteric nuts thrown in there for good measure. They mix DVDs with this in mind; a DVD mix should not and probably is not the same as a theatre/film mix.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#70204 12/02/04 03:40 AM
rabrant,

In my experience -- and I'm sure most other here will agree -- a thoughtfully assembled home theater, even one with just five speakers and a single subwoofer, easily beats the pants off the sound found in most theaters.

The reason a theater uses an array of side speakers is that they need to cover a large area. Axiom QS speakers do the job superbly in all but the largest rooms.

Also, keep in mind that when movie soundtracks are being made, the mastering suite more closely resembles a living room than a large theater.

#70205 12/02/04 03:54 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

easily beats the pants off the sound found in most theaters

Oh, don't get me started on movie theaters.
I can't tell you how many times I've been dissapointed in the sound (and a lot of other things) at the movie theaters. I've stopped wasting my money.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#70206 12/02/04 01:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you really want the TRUE theatre experience you can hire me to sit in your home and talk, cough and make cell phone calls during the movie. For an extra bonus I can also deliver the dialogue 10 seconds before the actors do.

To be honest, I believe that most well thought out home theatres are miles above the average movie theatre.

Getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/SVS 2000/m60/Monolith 3x200 amp
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters