Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: My QS8 vs. M3ti for surrounds review
#74054 12/31/04 05:07 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
bridgman,

Gaming is a big part of this setup, this a big factor for me, I played call of duty online last night with the qs8's and had an awful time with locating footsteps. You definitely want a directional speaker for gaming thru your HT.

This takes me back to my point, for my use; music, gaming, and movies the directional speaker works much better for me, also a surround capable of a wider (deeper) frequency range.

Your mileage may vary, everyone is different.

#74055 12/31/04 08:00 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
It is good to go with speakers that you like - that is most important.

This comparison (as well as recent comparisons between Axioms and Rockets) brings me to question that I have had in the back of my mind:

What role does calibration play in speaker comparisons?

Neglecting the obvious differences with directional versus surround type speakers, how does the calibration factor into speaker comparisons? For instance, if the receiver settings are the same, one can definitely make judgements at those settings on the speakers performance. But, what if in this case you adjusted the equalizer to get more base out of the QS8s (neglecting the directional versus surround issue for a moment). Maybe the M3 would then sound boomy and the QS8 would sound good?

I have been thinking about this since some people say the Axioms are too bright. When the Axioms sound too bright to a person, is this potentially a calibration problem?

When Alan or other professionals perform blind A/B tests, what settings or calibration do they use for the equipment? Is it the same for both speakers?

That is a lot that I have thrown out there, but people's thoughts will be appreciated.

Pete

#74056 12/31/04 08:45 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
You present good points to ponder. When I originally upgraded my surrounds I was going to go with a floor stander, looking back I now wish I would have but hey then I would have missed all this fun (not).

Seriously though, this journey has been very informative for me. I think I will now seek a floor standing speaker for my surrounds. I would guess I could sell the m3’s and the qs8’s and get enough to purchase something like the M50’s or M40’s.

Please understand this is my preference only, certainly there are many whom are very satisfied with the qs8’s.

#74057 01/01/05 05:57 AM
devotee
devotee
I think the QS8's win slightly due to their design, they're meant to be placed anywhere, whereas the m3's are a lot more directional purely by design. I almost wonder if I should boost my QS8 volume a bit, when guns and stuff go off the sound is awesome, but I don't get "constant" enveloping, or is that just something I'm making up my head?

- D

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
#74058 01/01/05 06:40 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
golden opportunity, QS8's, PM me if interested

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic