Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Re: Code of Conduct
#76607 01/14/05 07:45 AM
devotee
devotee
You know I knew this would happen at some point, but I'm kinda surprised still. The only three forums I frequent are:

- Ars Technica's Open Forum
- AVS Science's AVS Forum
- Axiom Audio Boards

I've dealt with enough childish, punk kid, script kiddie, type users in my work life that I don't need it here.

Disabling HTML might be an idea, or at least limiting the allowed tags (IMG, B, U, I, OL, UL, LI, etc).

Upgrading software: PHPBB is free, and easy to install, it's a lot more powerful then this, and the post layout is better, you reply to a Thread, instead of a an individual post.

Thirdly, Moderate. I'm not talking marshall law here, but it's pretty obvious that if you spend any amount of time here, and I mean serious time, helping others, talking to everyone, etc. Then you can easily see the nice guys and the not so nice guys (ladies too!).

I'm willing to help in whatever aspect I can, be it forum moderation, or system management. Whatever you decided I'll back it Amie (unless you come on in a drunken stupor after Ian going on about his dream EP60000 subwoofer with 24 drivers!). All jokes aside, I'm a helping hand.

Regards,

- D

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
#76608 01/14/05 08:59 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Did you somehow miss the "I want to be an Axiom Forum Moderator line?" It starts waaaay back there.

#76609 01/14/05 09:06 AM
devotee
devotee
I haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread, but I can imagine there is an overwhelming support for this. I'm not one to follow the crowd , but as a fan of Axiom's EXCELLENT products and as long as it stays that way, I will gladly and fully back this.

#76610 01/14/05 09:31 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>Although we do not want to leave our 'open-board' policy, it's clear that there are occasions where posts need to be deleted or, in extreme repetitive cases, users need to be banned. Following the suggestions put forth of using the “Notify Moderator” icon we should be able to let the board members decide through multiple complaints when action is necessary; we are still hesitant to make all these calls ourselves. This leaves the boards open unless multiple complaints from board participants are received. BrenR's suggestion to disable HTML is also a good one and has been followed.

I really think this is the best compromise. Many thanks to all at Axiom for letting the board stay "free". Adding moderators seems like an easy fix but it just brings a whole crop of new problems.

If we stay with the "open board" approach we all need to help out by "not feeding the bears". We need to soften that "silence implies consent" sentiment and assume there is a collective common sense here that we can rely on.

If someone is out of line, gently remind them. If they *stay* out of line, ignore them and move on to another thread even if you feel the need to set them straight. If the offending party moves from thread to thread doing the same thing then and only then do we want to start escalating.

One thing I don't fully understand is that some of the most petty and childish posters also (at different times) offer up very valid, insightful observations which we all benefit from. I have seen this on other boards as well.

Anyways, glad we're discussing this. I think we were all getting a bit PO'ed recently.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#76611 01/14/05 02:46 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
John, I agree with the sentiments you expressed. One gentle reminder should suffice. After that - dead silence. There is no ability to argue with input to refute.

Everyone must agree to that approach or the thread will continue interminably. If anyone continues to argue with the individual, there is no end to it.

I am also concerned that the little "report this thread" icon may abused a bit, so I'd want to err on the side of restraint.

Finally, some offers have been made for assistance. The more technically capable of us may want to try and contact Amie directly, likely via phone, to provide some technical advice that allows Axiom to 1) control and safeguard the board and 2) suggest some tools/technical solutions that gives Axiom a little mor eammunition to track down or eliminate these types of folks.

#76612 01/14/05 03:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I thought of one other thing........maybe if some "regulars" drop the name-calling........such as "Troll"..(that odd, tired, moniker is a pet peeve of mine, and doesn't seem to fit), and others,....replace it with "folks", (like you said, Ray) or, something else non-offensive , and more apropos.
Just an after-thought.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#76613 01/14/05 04:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Larry, just my opinion, but a "troll" is a "troll," which is quite different from "folks."

I'm perfectly OK with ignoring the insults, thereby NOT feeding the fire (I just got a PM from Genetic over at Audioholics telling me "Get Lost! dude shouldnt you be over at the axiom boards creating trouble"? I ignored it). But, my question about what to do when the offending post is simply not true hasn't been addressed. Example: "you can't get an objective opinion at this forum," which is both untrue AND insulting. Or "Everybody here is a troublemaker." Do we just let that stand for all to read, and for all time? Or do we, without malice, rebut that?

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#76614 01/14/05 04:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Jack,

IF anyone takes the time to read your posts.....they will find you are one of the nicest forum members........"they" are most likely "yanking your chain".
THE biggest thing I have learned in this forum , (the only one I have ever been on) isn't about audio...but people, and the written word. (one error, or typo can change everything).

Without getting TOO serious about it,....having these "threads" hang out there...for months, even years, DOES make one tend to think about how, and what they post.

Please, in the words of Roberto Duran: NO MAS... (Trolls).

LT

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#76615 01/14/05 05:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I also recieved a less than..... lets say cival, PM from Jeffrey and ignored it. Of course, maybe I shouldnt have insinuated that he was 10 years old. For that, I am apologetic.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#76616 01/14/05 05:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Me too! My PM read "get lost fool............" My cats were looking at me funny and wondering why I was laughing so hard.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,946
Posts442,492
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020