Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: Code of Conduct
#76617 01/14/05 05:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The PM I got was MUCH more colorful than that.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#76618 01/14/05 05:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thank you, Larry. Very kind of you to say that. But, I'm not naive enough to believe that there aren't those, in addition to Genetic, who would disagree with you.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#76619 01/14/05 05:28 PM
local
local
Jack, I always appreciate your emphasis on courtesy on the forum.

In answer to your question about what to do about inaccurate information--I think JohnK is a great role model. I have never seen him become personal in his posts. He simply provides information, often in the form of a link to a source. If it is an opinion that you disagree with I think it works well simply to offer another point of view without acknowledging the offending post or engaging with troublesome poster at all.

I have been dismayed on several occasions that when something innappropriate is said and the whole thing is perpetuated by far too many people feeling the need to chime in. I tend to look at it from the point of view of a newcomer to the forum. I'd be looking for solid information on topic. Perusing the threads, I come across one of these little flame wars right of the bat--I'm gone. The faster these things leave the front page the better, and the way that happens is for everyone to stop posting in the thread.

Mark
#76620 01/14/05 05:28 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

Of course, maybe I shouldnt have insinuated that he was 10 years old. For that, I am apologetic.

You're far too kind. I'm not sure it was possible to reach any other conclusion than you were dealing with an adolescent. Of course, at that age children usually refer to themselves as "going on eleven" or "ten and a half". Perhaps that's what he found insulting.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#76621 01/14/05 05:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thank you, Mark. I agree with everything you said, but I want to comment on this.

In reply to:

The faster these things leave the front page the better, and the way that happens is for everyone to stop posting in the thread.

Though I absolutely agree with that, the posted untruth remains available to anyone who does a search for the topic being discussed, even for years. That's what is bothering me. It's not like the thread self destructs in 10 days. It's there for all eternity. If someone can just say something that will make me say "Ah! Good! Then I don't have to worry about that." I'd be REALLY grateful.

Though, if I understand you correctly, you feel it's OK, as do I, to post an opposing point of view to the offending untruth in a non-threatening way. My only concern with that, assuming we are dealing with a genuine troll, is that he will simply not let up. He will view, as Genetic did, any contradiction of his viewpoint as a challenge, and bingo, we're off to the races again. Yet if we don't contradict him, he will feel free to stick around and continue the bad behavior.

I'm having trouble, in my mind, finding a satisfactory solution. If we respond in any way, we lose; if we don't respond, we lose. DOH!

Jack

#76622 01/14/05 05:49 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

Perusing the threads, I come across one of these little flame wars right of the bat--I'm gone.

I hear what you are saying but the question is - gone where?

There isn't a board on the INTERNET where these things don't happen occasionally. We can discuss it till the cows come home but in the end it can't be controlled or eliminated, only minimized, perhaps by a moderator. I'd hate to see it come to that. What we are all getting worked up about here is pretty mild compared to what I've seen in other forums (audio or other wise) and even on this very board there have been, in the past, much worse incidences than the present one. I just hope that what ever the decision is, it doesn't cross the censorship line. I just hope we are all not overreacting to just one or two foolish people making an ass of themselvs.

Just my 2 pennies worth

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#76623 01/14/05 06:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
First, there are too many "Mikes" on this forum. Some of you are gonna have to change your name. (I know. I know. That's why we have screen names. )

Mike (dmn23), thank you for saying what I wanted to say.

Brady, that you would apologize for what you implied speaks highly of you. But how could you think otherwise of such juvenile behavior.

Mike (mwc). Well said! I may be naive, but I'm not worried about the "code." I'll be surprised if it doesn't simply state what we all believe is the proper behavior for this venue. By putting it in writing, and requiring all members to agree to it, it just gives Axiom the leverage to pull the account of any offenders, no arguments.

Jack

#76624 01/14/05 06:05 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I responded to Genetic in this last incident and wonder if I should have. It certainly CAN perpetuate things. I felt like he was insulting friends of mine and that it was uncalled-for and one sided.

I really have to agree with Jack, though. Sometimes it's just plain ole' wrong to NOT rebut wrong information.

I think the key is that yes, you DO refute or disagree with something that is untrue, misleading, or one-sided (and attempting to squash alternative opinions). But when it DOES stoop to the level as it did here, the responses can't be personal (as I admit to doing this last time).

Whenever things resort to name-calling, it's time to hit that "notify moderator" button. It's unacceptable and WILL reflect on us as well to let it denigrate an then be available for months and years for others to read.. If the moderator than deletes that post or thread, it will be expunged from future viewers and attendees. In the example I gave earlier, it's comparable to removing the graffiti and telling the person to run along. If it happens again, they're out for not playing by the rules.

It might be likened to an attitude of "don't throw the first punch". Respond factually with an alternate viewpoint. If the other person throws a punch, notify the moderator

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#76625 01/14/05 06:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I can see that the "Notify" button will lead to many being reported that are the "trolls" being immature.

I have always kept my faculties, and responded in kind to the questionable threads. I can atest that this does not always work - see recent thread with Minirock where I am called "sweetie" for asking for clarification of his points.

The bottomline is something I said many months ago when Sonicfox asked where I was - the board/forus/threads sometimes go beyond common decency, at which point I tune out.

To evict someone from the boards will lead to them registering as another user.

#76626 01/14/05 06:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I felt like he was insulting friends of mine and that it was uncalled-for and one sided.

Bingo! I am forced to admit that is what set me off. I mean he insulted TomTuttle and Ray3. TOMTUTTLE & RAY? Common! Two of the nicest, friendliest, most helpful guys on the forum. They're both pussycats. For that, I couldn't let him walk away unscathed.

Jack

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,946
Posts442,492
Members15,617
Most Online2,082