Print Thread
Rate Thread
Home theater set up and placement?
#7929 01/13/03 06:03 PM
jazznut Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
My question is rather simple, the number of comments concerning m22ti's performance without a sub cause me to think it a mandatory addition. The system in question for purchase is the m22ti as fronts, qs8 for surround, 350 sub, 150 center and rxv-1300 Yamaha 100x6 receiver.
With the hardware firing in a room approximately 13x26 the length of the room where is the proper placement of the sub? Never having a sub before can anyone suggest proper settings on the receiver and sub for best results?
Thank you for your consideration to this subject, the room is being built and designated for the purpose of sound.
Oh......... 50/50 music to ht.
Thank you MB.

Re: Home theater set up and placement?
#7930 01/13/03 06:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Stick it in each corner and see what sounds best. Up front usually appeals to me more, but it will depend on your room.

#7931 01/13/03 11:09 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Michael( I wonder what sort of music you like),place the sub right in the corner closest to the M22s and farthest from a doorway or other opening. Set all speakers to "small" on the 1300, which then sends the under 90hz information to the sub. Turn the sub crossover up to the highest setting( if the sub crossover doesn't have a bypass)to get it as far out of the way of the 1300 crossover as possible. The sub phase control probably should be at 0, but experiment. Adjust the sub level control to suit your preference, but the sub really shouldn't be so loud that it draws attention to itself.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#7932 01/14/03 12:13 AM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
Jazznut,

If you really want to get precise (i.e. anal) about placing your sub, you should put the sub in your listening position, play some bass-heavy software (or test tones), and crawl around the room until you find the spot where the bass sounds best. That spot will be the ideal place to park the sub. Often this is not at all convenient, so experiment with standard non-obstrusive locations, such as near corners, under the coffee table, next to the couch, etc. You really do need to do a fair bit of experimenting, because even a few inches difference from the wall, for example, can make a huge difference in how a sub sounds in your room.

As far as setup goes, set the crossover all the way up on the sub. In the "speaker selection" menu of the receiver, set your mains and surrounds to "small" (the VP150 can be run as a large speaker, although again, you can experiment). If the Yamaha offers you the choice of specific crossover frequencies like the Outlaw receiver, you might start with 60 Hz for the M22s and 80 Hz for the QS8s, then tweak away.

Use your favorite music to set the proper gain on the sub. You can always turn it up for movies, but chances are you won't unless you have a desire to bathe your brain numb with bass watching action movies.

When you watch movies, I would switch the "audio/video" knob to "video"...this will increase the low-end output to add more impact to LFEs (explosions and rumbles), although it gets irritaing with music. This is also a really easy thing to switch back and forth when you've got the gain *exactly* where you want it for music.

I would actually suggest turning the phase to the 180 degree position, because more often than not the sub will be out of phase with the other speakers. As usual though, experiment while playing your favorite tunes to see what sounds best. The Sound and Vision Tune-Up disc has specific noise signals to set the sub's phase, in addition to its other useful tools.

Good luck!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,946
Posts442,492
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters