Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
questions(s) about martin logan ascent speakers
#80859 02/07/05 11:54 PM
local
OP Offline
local
What are some thoughts some of you may have on these speakers. They seem to be one step down from top of the line martin's. Also how do you think the tonal sound would be with my qs-8s and 150 center, 22s as rears. Does the electrostatic design/approach sound so radically different than other speakers, namely the Axioms. I cannot not afford to re-do all of these existing speakers to the ML line. The reviews seem tremendous, with the only knock be real low bass that I have covered with the 2 SVS's.

Sunfire amps & processor Sammy 50" Crown amp 2-SVS SS Maple Ultras, Axiom 60s,22s,150cc, QS8s
Re: questions(s) about martin logan ascent speakers
#80860 02/08/05 12:13 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I listened to some Martins a while back.I thought these speakers sounded absolutly great.I heard the ascent and another model that I don't remember the name but I do remember the price 5K.I dont know about the timber matching but they are a fine speaker IMO.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#80861 02/08/05 01:49 AM
devotee
devotee
Hi jon, I used to own a pair of the Ascents before I got into Axiom (actually, it was an all ML theater) and they are truly an exceptional pair of speakers but mixing them with something like Axioms, the ML's would simply over power them.. I have a few friends who mix standard "box" speakers with their stereo pair ML's and are pleased with stereo reproduction; however, they would like to have an all ML system for HT purposes, but considering the price on even their entry level Scripts, they just can't afford it. I had originally bought Axioms to replace a Def Tech system that we used in another room. I was so impressed with just the center VP150 that when we got the rest in, I took out the ML's, quickly hooked up the Axiom's in my HT, and never looked back. I'm not going to say that the Ascents were bested by the new M60's or anything since the M60's couldn't even compete, but the Axiom system as a whole had better synergy than my all ML system did. The Ascents by themselves are breathtaking though, and are some of the most "airy" detailed speakers I have heard. I remember my friends telling my that they sounded better than real life, LOL! Placement is key with all ML's also, and it is best when you follow the recommended placement that is listed in the manual. When placed right, they will image like mad and provide a wide listening are too. Personally, if you are just looking to add a pair of Ascent's only, I would just use them for two channel reproduction and leave the all Axiom system as is. My. 02 Luis

#80862 02/08/05 04:50 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I don't know which ones are the ascents but I heard a $4600 pair of Martin Logans before and they were simply amazing. This was right before I ordered my M22's, but if I had 5K some Martin Logans would be in the in-home demo list.

Re: questions(s) about martin logan ascent speaker
#80863 02/08/05 07:25 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
In a word, yeah, they sound a lot different and don't mix too well. If you're considering electrostatics, I'd STRONGLY encourage you to audition Magnepans. They don't look as nice as the MLs, but they're cheaper and many people feel they're the finest electrostatic speakers available.

#80864 02/08/05 03:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jon,

A few general comments on electrostatics: Most are dipoles (they radiate out of phase information to the rear) and so are hugely placement-dependent if you wish to avoid all kinds of cancellation and reinforcement effects.

I heard a huge ML system (I think it was $60,000 or so) at a CES demo that was awful, with a very colored and unnatural center channel. I have heard a couple of stereo MLs that sounded very natural, given the dispersion limitations that plague all electrostatic designs. Sometimes the sweet spot is so critical you can barely move your head or you lose the imaging, the soundstage, and the high frequencies.

By the way, Magnaplanars are NOT electrostatic. They are a planar-magnetic design, also dipoles, and subject to similar room-placement issues more than dynamic forward-radiating speakers. I would not recommend you mix electrostatic or dipoles with Axioms.

This is not to deter you from experimenting with other speaker technologies. I love the idea of electrostatic and planar-magnetic speakers. The technology is fascinating, and electrostatics can be capable of superb uncolored midrange reproduction, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired in most cases.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082